“Fantastic!!! Highly recommend. Wonderful hosts. ”
Review of The Fernbank

The Fernbank
Ranked #7 of 51 Shanklin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Wow. All I can say is I'm sorry it took so long to review (I've been mega). We came here to celebrate our 3 year anniversary, and had a wonderful time. The room had a view, was comfortable, cosy and very clean. Beautiful garden and lots of places to relax around the ground floor. Pool was a treat!! Breakfast... Amazing!! Home cooked bread too. Freshly warm. Local jams. What gets this b&b 5 stars is the service. I'm very hard to please, and from the second we arrived to the moment we left it was like we were the only people in there. I'd go back just for the service.

We will return hopefully for our 4th anniversary, later this year, as a newly engaged couple (Christmas Day proposal, and I'm still giddy about it) :-))

Keep going with the shabby chic interior by the way, the little hints of it were lovely and right up my street xx

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emsibelle82

Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was my third year staying at this lovely hotel. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Shanklin. As always we were made very welcome, nothing was too much trouble. Rooms were very clean, fresh and comfortable with good supplies of toiletries, towels , tea/coffee, etc. Breakfast cannot be beaten on choice, taste, volume or service. Location is ideal too as it is close enough to walk to the town without getting any of the noise. It's probably about a 10 minute walk to the beach, perhaps a little more to the station. Can't wait for my next visit!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Beverley W
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We had a very enjoyable four night stay in this hotel. We were made to feel very welcome, the room was very comfortable, everything was scrupulously clean and the breakfast was excellent. The indoor swimming pool and the bar were an added bonus. The location is also ideal with only a five minute walk to the old town and then a further five minutes down to the promenade.

2  Thank 8Mike_G63
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We could not have had a warmer welcome from the staff - in fact they went out of their way to help us get our luggage in after a long journey from South Yorkshire. My daughter and I had the two rooms on the ground floor (as I have a mobility problem). The swimming pool was just next to us - we made good use of this lovely facility - easy access for those with limited walking ability, and was not disturbed in our rooms by others using the pool. Breakfast was fabulous and the service was top class. Although we had a busy schedule while on holiday, the bedrooms and other rooms were comfortably furnished and oozed a relaxing atmosphere. Neither of us wanted to leave - so we will just have to return soon!! We have already told friends and family so maybe they will come too....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank floppydog62
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We have just returned from our 2nd stay at The Fernbank. Once again a wonderful 4 night stay.
Our room had a great view and was immaculate - very cosy and a lovely bed.. Jo Anne - Sharon and Julian make a perfect team. Nothing is ever too much trouble. Their knowledge of the Island is second to none and always worth asking their opinion and advice, and they are always right. We always looked forward to Breakfast as there was always a wide choice and the quality of food was 1st class.The Hotel is always spotless. Only a short walk to the village where eating out was never a problem with plenty of places to choose from.
We cannot find any fault with any of the facilities or services provided. We would and have recommended this Hotel to friends.
I know anyone would be impressed with The Fernbank.
We will be back again next year.

Room Tip: We always have a superior room. Worth the little extra
2  Thank volvolady
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have just stayed for 3 nights at The Fernbank and it was a very happy experience! Jo-Anne, Julian and Sharon are a very friendly team who really want their guests to enjoy their stay and who work very hard to ensure you do. The breakfast is exceptional, as is the service. Travelling on my own I particularly appreciated that I was shown to my table each morning with none of that hanging around wondering where I should go! I very much dislike that feeling and Jo- Anne and Sharon were always ready to lead the way for breakfast!
My room ( 2) was aired, very clean and a good size for 1 person. The bed was extremely comfortable and I will ask for that room again when I go back to the Fernbank! I recommend this hotel because it is very good indeed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank magsyh
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We needed a short break away from a hectic schedule and the Isle of Wight offers all that we want without travelling too far. We opted for a four night stay at The Fernbank. Our superior double room was spacious, tastefully furnished, spotlessly clean and the bed was really comfortable with crisp white linen. White shower robes, soft white towels changed daily, quality complimentary toiletries and tea and coffee making facilities set out on a tray with a fine white linen cloth show that the owners take that little bit of extra care. From the warm welcome to our departure the friendly staff made every effort to make us welcome and nothing was too much trouble for them. The breakfast menu offers a huge choice of cereals, home made bread and locally made preserves, fresh fruit and juices to accompany a choice of cooked options all prepared with top quality ingredients and limitless toast, tea and coffee. We are checking our diaries for our next stay.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the garden
3  Thank owengerry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Keats Cottage B&B
Keats Cottage B&B
#6 of 51 in Shanklin
The Caledon Guest House

Been to The Fernbank? Share your experiences!