“Excellent!”

The Fernbank
Ranked #6 of 50 Shanklin B&B and Inns
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have just spent the weekend and it was an excellent choice! Friendly staff, good location, delicious food! I strongly recommend this place. It was our first time in I.O.W and we were very surprised about the lot of things you can you in the isle for 2-3 days. The town also was nice to walk and to see, and there is a a big variety of places to eat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
west sussex
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have just returned from a week's stay, and can only say that it was excellent. All the staff were very helpful, the food was superb, and the heated swimming pool irresistible. Unreservedly recommended for anyone wanting a luxurious, quiet holiday or break. We will certainly return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed at the Fernbank last May and it was by far the nicest place I have ever stayed. Jo-Anne was so polite and attentive and made us feel at home straight away. She took us to our room and showed us around the B&B which was absolutely gorgeous. Each room is decorated so tastefully and the garden is beautiful. Our room, although only a standard room, was spacious, light and again, beautiful decorated.
The beds are so comfortable, we didn't want to get up in the mornings - but we changed our mind once we remembered the breakfast - which you really can't forget! Freshly baked bread, cereals and fresh fruit to keep you popping back up and then the hot breakfast of your choice arrives - which is cooked to perfection and tastes amazing.
As well as the room, the decor, the beds and the breakfast being brilliant - the pool was lovely as well! We spent an hour or so in the heated pool and it was so relaxing and quiet - with a view of the garden outside.
We were so happy with our stay that we are coming back to stay again next month, but this time staying in a Superior Room so we feel a little bit more luxurious - even though we really don't need to because the standard rooms are lovely enough. This really is the best place I have stayed, I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

a very very good Hotel i would give it 20 stars. i been in a lot of Hotels on the Isle of Wight.
an this one is by far the best.the services was A1 the Room was A1 Joanne and Julian are Wonderful its is to use the words of Steven G Awesome and yes the sausages tast real good . i Love the IOW And Shanklin has a gem in the Fernbanks.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank martin r
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Two friends and I stayed at The Fernbank recently for four nights. We had such a lovely warm welcome from the staff, the rooms were very comfortable and well equipped. The breakfast was truly deserving of the phrase - breakfast like a king - and catered very well for me, being a vegetarian. Our stay was very enjoyable and I would not hesitate to recommend The Fernbank
to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

There are two B&B's at which I have stayed that stand out in deserving every success they achieve. This is one of them. The management of Fernbank suggests to me that, if there were any problems they would be dealt immediately, efficiently and charmingly. I was so impressed that when I mentioned that the bathroom might be cold in winter (I was thinking about this review) the response was pleasant, informative and concerned. Unlike some management who immediately move into defensive mode when a query is made, I was treated with courtesy and given relevant information. I was told that Fernbank does not open in winter, followed by concern for me - I was immediately asked if I'd been cold. My comment was not regarded as a complaint. Such a response is that of a good and caring business person for whom the customer is of first concern. By the way, there is plenty of heating in the bedroom and an additional blow heater so, no, I was not cold. Another feature of the good management is the way in which the staff work so smoothly and cheerfully, nothing is too much for them. The pleasantness of the environment is enhanced by the wonderful gardens in which one can enjoy the bar snacks that are available until 5.00pm, with drinks and home made cake available for some time after that. The meal I had, a ploughman's lunch, was far from a snack, with its warm baguette, generous serve of cheese and pickle, lovely salad and apple. Talking of home cooking, home baked bread is on the generous breakfast menu, along with a copious range of home made jams. The breakfast sausages have been mentioned - yes they looked delicious. My vegetarian sausages were also splendid. The buffet offered a good range of fruit, pastries, cereals and juices. The swimming pool was warm, the bed comfortable and towels plentiful. Fernbank is within close walking distance of the Old Village, a bus route and many restaurants. It is a wonderful find.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cindylou45
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We booked into this hotel at short notice and was worried after a bad experience at another hotel on the island. First we got stuck on the ferry so I phone the hotel to pre warn them I might be a little late and the gentleman on the phone was friendly and made me feel so relaxed. When we arrived at the hotel the gentleman was so welcoming and friendly and made us feel very welcome he gave us a quick tour around and the room was very nice and clean not an inch of dust or cobwebs any where so clean, everything we needed was in the room, a good supply of tea and coffee. Breakfast was very tasty and those sausages were to die for, very yummy! A good choice on the breakfast menu and buffet table. Swimming pool was lovely and warm, I could not fault this hotel and we will be back as the staff are friendly plus the rooms are clean and tidy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple