“Average Food, Unfriendly Staff”

Black Cat Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 83 Restaurants in Shanklin
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The restaurant was very busy, we hadn't booked a table, they did fit us in but from the service we received I wish they had turned us away. We had to ask for everything, drinks, prawn crackers - other tables were given these automatically, we even had to ask to order.
The food was average, I have had much better Thai food in other restaurants.
I can't recall any of the staff smiling once - not even when we paid the bill!!
When we left no one thanked us for our custom or said goodbye.
Will it be using this restaurant again and would not recommend it.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Our experience started badly when the waitress plonked down the wine onto the table and just walked off again, we had a half hour wait for our starter and then another twenty minutes after that for our main. The waitress took the fork off of my plate from the starter when clearing the plates and put it back on my napkin so I could reuse it again, instead of giving me a new one! The food is too expensive for the small portions given, for example £6 for a small portion of egg fried rice. It isn't worth the rude staff, slow service and expensive food. Would avoid this restaurant at all costs!

3  Thank BabsC1966
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Little bit cramped at the table, but it was beautifully decorated .The staff seemed a bit tired, I'm sorry to say this but if we'd had a warmer greeting it would have been better. Food was superb, though portions bit small for some in the group. They offer 'mild', 'medium', 'hot', or 'very hot' curry. I'm gald I had medium, that was hot enough for me. Although food was excellent, it was too pricey.

1  Thank blueberrybelle
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked at the Black Cat for a special 50th Birthday meal on Monday 4 August, first of all impressions were good, but then everything became a disaster, we ordered our meals by a very old English chap, which was the owner who had trouble taking our order on his new order devise and we had to repeat the order several times as he kept on getting it wrong, then we proceeded to wait for our food for a hour and a half, the restaurant was not that busy and there was only the four of us, When our food eventually arrived the order was completely wrong and they missed of the dishes for the Birthday person completely we asked for this to be rectified and was told we had to wait another 40 mins, no apology was made to us and he even said that you are sitting in the window what more do you want.

As we did not want to make a fuss we paid our bill for the uneaten food which was £120.00 and left and again no apology. I then saw the owner sit down with one of I presume one of the regulars and was laughing and pointing at us. I think he thought we were holiday makers, unfortunately for him we live in Shanklin and we have told friends, family and clients to be aware of this gentleman's attitude and also we have since found out that he has done this before, so if you do go be careful. We will not ever go back to this establishment because of his attitude

4  Thank David Michael B
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were lucky to great a table on Saturday night as it was fully booked. The food was freshly cooked and you are given a choice of not spicy, medium or hot. We went for hot but it wasn't overpowering and certainly more to UK taste. Friendly staff, good service.