“Wouldnt go back, sadly”

Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Shanklin
Dorking, United Kingdom
“Wouldnt go back, sadly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

Myself and my wife stayed for two nights and sadly wouldn't go back. The decor is very much Fawlty Towers meets Terry and June. Tired and desperately in need of a refurb.
Superfically a business that needs to spend less on marketing and more on decor and service. We eat the first evening and had one of the worst meals we've ever eaten in a hotel. Breakfast wasnt much better and took 45 minutes to get to us. The staff try their best and were helpful and courteous, the only plus Im afraid.

Room Tip: Pick a seaview
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel with two friends on a half board basis. After the first nights experience we all agreed to opt out of the evening meal, it was disgusting and the breakfast was not much better. Breakfast for the four of us consisted of cereal and toast as the full English was bland as was the evening meal.
The rooms were rosa blue but we did have superior sea facing views which were advertised as "recently refurbished" we found out that they were refurbished around three to four years ago.
The hotel is badly in need of refurbishment and the indoor swimming pool had a large crack across one wall, it was so hot it was uncomfortable to use.
To sum up this hotel is overpriced and not worth the prices they charge ( don't waste your money there are cheaper and better options.

Smith Essex and Kent
Four nights may 2013

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Grahamrodney
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Thank goodness I only stayed at this hotel for one night. My room was so old fashioned with artex ceiling, embossed wallpaper, 70's wall and ceiling lights and mustard colour bed throws, so drab it was depressing. I could hear everything that the people in the next room were saying and the floorboards from the room above was extremly noisy. The shower was freezing, so I gave up and had a bath. Breakfast isn't available until 8am, well I say 8am but the girl who did actually turn up on time had no interest in taking my order for tea or coffee let alone take my breakfast order, by the time the other staff turned up and I got my breakfast I really wished I hadn't bothered, it was awful, I couldn't eat it. Parking was a nightmare, but then again they can't help that, they do have 2 car parks but for the number of rooms it's no where near enough. There is no disabled parking, this is awful, a poor disabled couple were really struggling. I stay in lots of hotels on business and this is the first time I have left a review due to a poor experience. I am not fussy, but for the price of this room and the very poor quality and service, I felt I should let people know.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 30. Avoid this one for a start
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tricky79
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

I visited this hotel with my husband and son having seen the website and read some good reviews I was excited to be staying in what I thought would be in a stunning hotel where we could relax and enjoy lovely food. On arrival we were given a luke warm welcome and shown around to our rooms. The decor was very tired, we had to walk through the dining room to get to our rooms which I find to be odd as who wants to weave in and out of tables when people are eating when your trying to get to your room? The room was dusty and the matress wasn't that comfy. I don't think health and safety is high on the list of the hotels priorities either the windows open fully which could be lethal for children, the fire doors are broken, signs saying fire exstinguisher where there isnt one and when using a plug socket to charge my phone and the plug became very hot. The walls are very thin and so its very easy to hear neighbours talking and there tv and I am sure it was the same for us. The breakfast was poor and not cooked properly so we got up and left it. This place could be so wonderful as it is in a fantastic location. Had we not been so exhausted that night we would have changed hotels.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sunny d
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Stayed at the 3 star luccombe hall hotel on a group 2 night B&B deal. Enjoyed our stay staff welcoming and pleasant. On both mornings we had full English which was good. Negative was that you could not sit at any table for breakfast. This we discovered when we sat in the conservatory only to told our table was inside and we could not sit there! The following morning we noticed that we had a table in the conservatory.
We stayed in room 4 which was clean and modern however the shower was appalling - no pressure what so ever- you would b better just having a bath.
Although they have 2 car parks I could see that parking would be an issue if you did not get back before 7 pm as space is limited.
Old village shanklin is a lovely area try the excellent local red squirrel cream tea served in the Pencil cottage tea room. The village pub is old and quirky and serves excellent food we ate upstairs which has waiter service.
Osborne house is well worth a visit walk to or take the courtesy bus to the beach and indulge in locally made ice cream I recommend the old English toffee flavour. Personally i was disappointed when i visited the garlic farm shop - i thought was expensive.
Although this review has a few negatives we did enjoy our stay at the Luccombe hall hotel and would probably return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deec1258
Portsmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Myself and a friend had promised ourselves a mini hotel break a long time ago and this hotel was definitely worth the wait! Upon arrival, the friendly receptionist made us feel very at home, taking time to show us all the facilities. Our room was quiet, clean, comfortable and tidy, with the luxury of a spa bath. We made use of the pool/hot tub/sauna, which were nice, followed by a massage in the treatment room (nb the treatments are an added cost).

The 4 course evening meal was very enjoyable, especially sat in the conservatory area with it's amazing sea view. I personally disagree with another reviewer on here who slated the chicken supreme - mine was very tasty and all food piping hot - the brioche with the mushrooms was really good. Breakfast the next morning provided a good selection of food - fruits/yoghurts/toast/cereal/fruit juices/cooked breakfasts. I personally didn't like the mushrooms at breakfast but everything else was tasty.

The hotel had a very relaxing atmosphere about it and we found all of the staff to be very polite and helpful - even outside of the hotel staff spoke to us, having recognised us as customers. There are a good range of facilities in addition to those already mentioned - there is a nice quiet lounge where you can sit and enjoy a selection of newspapers and complimentary tea/coffee; a games room with table tennis and pool table; a selection of board games in the bar area; extensive outdoor gardens with kiosk that sells toasties/ice cream/teas etc - all surprisingly well priced - (need good weather to sit there though); and we were told that there were steps from the hotel down to the beach.

Would definitely return to this hotel - hope for warmer weather next time so perhaps can venture down to the beach. Thank you to all the staff for making us feel welcome and for making our break very enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maisie13
portsmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Used groupon deal together with a friend to stay at this hotel and must say really enjoyed our stay. Very attentive staff, clean room and good facilities. Used pool, hot tub and sauna and enjoyed every minute. Very nice evening meal, little less impressed by the breakfast but certainly palatable. Parking available so could walk into the old town.

Would visit again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sally W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
The Wight
The Wight
#6 of 31 in Sandown
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Luccombe Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!