“Luccombe Hall. Shanklin.I.O.W.”

Luccombe Hall Hotel
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Luccombe Hall is beautifully located and has stupendous views. We did not have a room with a view but there is plenty of views from the conservatory and gardens so much more enjoyable when eating your breakfast or afternoon tea. The room needed some T.L.C. as the basin had a serious crack in it and generally needed some remedial treatment but it was clean. However these shortcomings were overcome by the standard of the meals and the service of the staff.They were all very helpful and courteous and we cannot speak too highly of them.We would recommend Luccombe Hall without missing anything aforementioned out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Steven W, Owner at Luccombe Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Luccombe Hall and for taking the time to give a review. We are so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the stupendous views - they simply are the best. I'm sorry to hear about the crack in the basin which we will ensure gets sorted asap. I'm glad you found everywhere clean and that the staff and meals were good. Thank you so much for your recommendation. I do hope you come and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a special offer 2 night break which was very good value for money. However there are a couple of points I would raise. We were placed in room 12 right at the top of the hotel. The room was spacious with a big 4 poster bed, the bathroom however is in need of attention, the paint is peeling from the window sill for one. We did have a problem with the shower door however once this was pointed out to reception was dealt with promptly. The main problem with the room was the 2nd flight of stairs. These are very steep and narrow and sadly the main hand rail disappears into the wall half way up. Anyone that is less agile on their pins would find this uncomfortable if not unsurmountable.

The staff are very friendly, especially Josh who radiates sunshine, truly a genuine guy.

There was just one point that I felt let the hotel down was the selection of main course meals. We opted to spend both nights at the hotel, eating in their restaurant. The conservatory dining area is lovely overlooking the gardens and sea, perfect also for a quiet early morning cuppa! The meat choice in the first day was chicken & leek pie or pork steak in mustard sauce, this choice was exactly the same the following day. It would have been much better to have had a different selection. If I were to be critical I would also mention the continious playing of the BeeGees, breakfast time and dinner time for the entire stay. Now dont get me wrong, I do like the BeeGees but now feel I have been overloaded with them!

however all in all we had a good short break, thank you

Room Tip: Choose a room on ground or first floor, avoid the narrow steep staircase if possible
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Luccombe Hall and for your detailed review. I am so glad you found your break great value for money but disappointed to hear that you felt the hotel was let down by a limited choice on the dinner menu. We have recently changed our evening dinner menu and more recently added even further menu options to it. I'm glad you enjoyed the conservatory - it's so lovely to look out to the sea from there. I have passed on your comments to the restaurant team regarding the playing of Bee Gees all the time and I'm sure in future they'll change the music much more frequently. Thank yuo again and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

My partner and I chose this hotel from the pictures on the website and reviews. We wanted a break in a well appointed spa hotel. We paid extra for a sea facing room, which we got but it was very tired. The bed sank to it's base when it was sat on; the decor was shabby and there were many chipped/cracked bathroom tiles. Everytime the bathroom light was turned on so was the extractor fan and as the walls were paper thin, we could hear every time the bathroom was used in the surrounding rooms. When there was a screaming child too, we asked to change rooms. Spoke to a very friendly receptionist who was unable to do anything that day but could move us the next day.

The next day we were woken up at 6am by children runing around above us ( there is no sound proofing between floors) which only stopped when my partner banged on the ceiling.

We were moved rooms and had one that was similar to the pictures on the internet which is what I'd assumed we would be getting. The hotel misleads guests in this way.

That afternoon we tried the spa, the main reason for chosing this hotel. I didn't use the facilites as the whirlpool was all cloudy with clogged hair round the filter and dirt in the seating areas. I reported this to reception when I returned my dry towel. This is low season, so I would have expected a pristine spa.

That said the location is excellent and the sea view worth having.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the bottom floor; you hear every footstep above you.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank danc_er1710
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Spent a weekend here for a family birthday, there was a large group of us but this was of no hassle for the staff, and they were very friendly and welcoming to us.

Rooms were tidy and very comfortable, pool was warm and clean.
A very calm atmosphere, very tasty food and incredibly friendly staff all round.
Good views, and very nice breakfast, plenty of option.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Luccombe Hall for a family birthday and thank you for taking the time to say how much you enjoyed your stay. We are delighted to hear how friendly and welcoming you found the staff to be and you found everywhere warm and clean and enjoyed the views and peaceful ambiance. I do hope you visit again in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We spent a weekend with friends to celebrate a birthday.

Staff were exceedingly accommodating and nothing was too much trouble, particularly as many of the group had to amend their ferry times.

Rooms were clean, tidy and well equipped. The hotel has wonderful views and is good value.

My personal choice would be to have had a fresh fruit salad option in the dessert menu.

Room Tip: Room 6 had a whirlpool bath and separate walk-in shower, in a larger than average sized bathroom. T...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Carol_Starkey, Public Relations Manager at Luccombe Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Luccombe Hall recently for a family birthday. I'm so pleased to hear how accommodating you fund the staff and that nothing was too much trouble - really pleased we were able to help with changing ferry times.
The hotel location is fabulous and I'm glad you enjoyed the wonderful views as well as the room spec and presentation. I will be sure to pass on your suggestion re fresh fruit salad to the chef.
Thank you taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and I do hope you will choose to stay at Luccombe Hall Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We had a comfortable Autumn break to celebrate a 60th family birthday. Staff were very friendly and helpful in particular Josh in the restaurant who served our big group with patience and good humour.

Room Tip: Ask for non adjoining room if it bothers you having a communicating door.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay at Luccombe Hall recently to celebrate a family 60th birthday. Josh will be thrilled to get your feedback and I'm glad you found the hotel comfortable and the staff friendly.
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I do hope you will choose to stay with us again should you visit the Isle of Wight in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

The decor is a little old-fashioned and in need of some decorating but the staff are very helpful and it has a friendly feel about the place. The food and the service are both very good and the dining room light and airy, if you are lucky enough to get a given a table out in the conservatory you will not be disappointed by the view. We have stayed here many times and will continue to do so and recommend it to people who are visiting the Isle of Wight.

Room Tip: It is worth asking for a sea view room for the sunset and sunrise alone.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such good feedback and for choosing to stay at Luccombe Hall yet again. It is wonderful being able to welcome guests back and it's so nice to hear how friendly you find the hotel and how helpful the staff are. The Grand View Restaurant is very well named indeed and as you say the view will not disappoint. I'm glad you found the food and service very good and most happy to hear that you will once again choose to stay with us again in the future. We very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
0 mi away
The Clifton
The Clifton
#4 of 51 in Shanklin
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Luccombe Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!