“Excellent stay”

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

What a lovely place. Friendly staff, clean rooms, fantastic views and brilliant facilities. Food at the restaurant is first class as well. Brilliant for families with kids as well as there is loads of equipment (slides etc.) for them in the garden and also a designated area inside where they can burn off some energy. We will be coming back.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank mattness1978
Steven W, Owner at Luccombe Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you so much for your glowing feedback and for choosing to stay at Luccombe Hall. I'm so pleased you found the hotel lovely, the staff friendly, the rooms clean, the views fantastic, the facilities brilliant. and the food first class. We do have a great range of facilities - designed to keep everyone as relaxed or as active as they please! I'm delighted to hear that you will be coming back and we will very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Orihuela, Spain
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We promised ourselves a trip to the Isle of Wight in our 64th year & this was it. The hotel lived up to our expectations from the description. Although the swimming pool area & the hot tub looked rather " tired" we did enjoy using them as well as the sauna. The staff were friendly & helpful & the breakfast was a good start to the day. We were pleased to able to walk to bars & restaurants in Shanklin, although we didn't manage the steps down to the Esplanade. We went the long way round! We didn't eat in the hotel in the evening. We would certainly consider a return visit. Wi-Fi was available, although I was not always able to connect in our room.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor sea facing room, which was perfect.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and for choosing Luccombe Hall to stay on your "promised " visit to the Isle of Wight. I'm glad to hear that the hotel lived up to the description and that you enjoyed using the indoor facilities. The hotel location is great and I'm pleased to hear you found it easy to walk to local bars and restaurants. I am sorry you weren't always able to connect with the wi-fi - it does sometimes need re-setting which is easily done by the reception staff, it is also something we are looking to upgrade in the near future. I'm so pleased to hear that you will consider a re-visit and do hope to see you again in the future.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Luccombe Hall is perfectly situated on the cliffs overlooking the sea at Shanklin. Needing to "get away from it all" for a couple of days, this was ideal. From the booking over the phone, through to leaving, the staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. All the staff were always willing to help, but also allowed you privacy and peace. The breakfasts were excellent, with a reasonable vegetarian selection. The two evening meals varied from average to excellent over the two nights, again with a reasonable vegetarian choice.
The staff also helped with organising massages and other therapies with Linda Bowes while we were there, which were heavenly!
The biggest suprise was being offered a free up-grade to a beautiful room overlooking the sea, which made the weekend perfect.
We will certainly be back again soon, along with booking more treatments with Linda.

Room Tip: It's worth chosing a room with a sea view. Especially in summer.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing to "get away from it all" at Luccombe Hall and for taking the time to give such an excellent review. I understand that the service you receive whilst on holiday is so important and I'm thrilled to hear how attentive and helpful you found the team to be on your recent visit. I'm so glad we were able to offer you the free room upgrade and glad how much you enjoyed it. We do hope to see you again in the future.
Dorset, Vermont
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Just spent 2 days at Luccombe Hall, where we couldn't have been looked after any better than we were!
We had a room 2 on the first floor, which had all the amenities we needed it was excellent! we had a sea view , also overlooking the garden & swimming pool, An outside space, which was great, lovely furniture to use if only the weather had held out, we were able to star gaze in an area with little light pollution making this possible. The hotel was clean and comfortable, we didn't get to use the leisure facilities but were very impressed with the children's indoor play area and hope to visit again with our 3 new grandchildren! I did use the spa at the sister hotel Melville court, which was excellent on a wet afternoon.The reception staff were very welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. All staff were friendly and attentive, food was lovely. Located close to the sea by walking through the garden and down 150 steps, taking you to the esplanade and numerous eating places, also close to Shanklin old village, very pretty all in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Luccombe Hall and for taking the time to give such a lovely review. I'm so glad to hear how you found all the staff - at both Luccombe hall and Melville Hall to be so welcoming, friendly and helpful. We do have a wonderful location and I'm glad you enjoyed the gardens, sea views and walk down to the esplanade and Old Village. The indoor and outdoor play areas are superb for children and I'm sure your grandchildren would be kept amused! We do hope to see you again in the future.
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Luccombe Hall is beautifully located and has stupendous views. We did not have a room with a view but there is plenty of views from the conservatory and gardens so much more enjoyable when eating your breakfast or afternoon tea. The room needed some T.L.C. as the basin had a serious crack in it and generally needed some remedial treatment but it was clean. However these shortcomings were overcome by the standard of the meals and the service of the staff.They were all very helpful and courteous and we cannot speak too highly of them.We would recommend Luccombe Hall without missing anything aforementioned out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Luccombe Hall and for taking the time to give a review. We are so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the stupendous views - they simply are the best. I'm sorry to hear about the crack in the basin which we will ensure gets sorted asap. I'm glad you found everywhere clean and that the staff and meals were good. Thank you so much for your recommendation. I do hope you come and visit us again in the future.
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a special offer 2 night break which was very good value for money. However there are a couple of points I would raise. We were placed in room 12 right at the top of the hotel. The room was spacious with a big 4 poster bed, the bathroom however is in need of attention, the paint is peeling from the window sill for one. We did have a problem with the shower door however once this was pointed out to reception was dealt with promptly. The main problem with the room was the 2nd flight of stairs. These are very steep and narrow and sadly the main hand rail disappears into the wall half way up. Anyone that is less agile on their pins would find this uncomfortable if not unsurmountable.

The staff are very friendly, especially Josh who radiates sunshine, truly a genuine guy.

There was just one point that I felt let the hotel down was the selection of main course meals. We opted to spend both nights at the hotel, eating in their restaurant. The conservatory dining area is lovely overlooking the gardens and sea, perfect also for a quiet early morning cuppa! The meat choice in the first day was chicken & leek pie or pork steak in mustard sauce, this choice was exactly the same the following day. It would have been much better to have had a different selection. If I were to be critical I would also mention the continious playing of the BeeGees, breakfast time and dinner time for the entire stay. Now dont get me wrong, I do like the BeeGees but now feel I have been overloaded with them!

however all in all we had a good short break, thank you

Room Tip: Choose a room on ground or first floor, avoid the narrow steep staircase if possible
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Luccombe Hall and for your detailed review. I am so glad you found your break great value for money but disappointed to hear that you felt the hotel was let down by a limited choice on the dinner menu. We have recently changed our evening dinner menu and more recently added even further menu options to it. I'm glad you enjoyed the conservatory - it's so lovely to look out to the sea from there. I have passed on your comments to the restaurant team regarding the playing of Bee Gees all the time and I'm sure in future they'll change the music much more frequently. Thank yuo again and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My partner and I chose this hotel from the pictures on the website and reviews. We wanted a break in a well appointed spa hotel. We paid extra for a sea facing room, which we got but it was very tired. The bed sank to it's base when it was sat on; the decor was shabby and there were many chipped/cracked bathroom tiles. Everytime the bathroom light was turned on so was the extractor fan and as the walls were paper thin, we could hear every time the bathroom was used in the surrounding rooms. When there was a screaming child too, we asked to change rooms. Spoke to a very friendly receptionist who was unable to do anything that day but could move us the next day.

The next day we were woken up at 6am by children runing around above us ( there is no sound proofing between floors) which only stopped when my partner banged on the ceiling.

We were moved rooms and had one that was similar to the pictures on the internet which is what I'd assumed we would be getting. The hotel misleads guests in this way.

That afternoon we tried the spa, the main reason for chosing this hotel. I didn't use the facilites as the whirlpool was all cloudy with clogged hair round the filter and dirt in the seating areas. I reported this to reception when I returned my dry towel. This is low season, so I would have expected a pristine spa.

That said the location is excellent and the sea view worth having.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the bottom floor; you hear every footstep above you.
5 Thank danc_er1710
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#6 of 29 in Sandown
The Channel View Hotel
The Channel View Hotel
#4 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Luccombe Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!