“Perfect”

Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Have just this second got home from a wonderful stay here,from the minute I checked in at reception with Cathy who was lovely, given a sea view as was a birthday present,my 7 year old was impressed so much to do for him he loved it,seaviews best I've seen,excellent breakfast,fabulous hotel excellent location,would definitely return and tell friends and family, I'm a fussy lil minx,but certainly no complaints here,thank you to all the staff,perfect x

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed a week and were blessed with wonderfully warm spring sunshine in which the rather battered old island looked stunning. Recovering from a devastatingly damaging winter of storms and floods the island had the feel of a disaster zone with many coastal footpaths and road closures due to landslides. The travel chaos wasn't helped but the authorities deciding to change all the traffic lights which meant more road closures. We appreciated a room upgrade to one with a gorgeous sea view and felt it would be churlish therefor to complain that the bubble bath didn't work. Breakfasts were reasonable although we had to ask for the fresh fruit and on sunny mornings the lovely conservatory does get uncomfortably hot. We ate in only once and found the food mediocre and the desserts distinctly poor. Staff were pleasant although in seven days we saw no one who appeared in charge and although staff tried hard with a bit of management input things could have been improved. The squash court was closed during our visit and we found the indoor swimming pool too overpoweringly hot to use [both the water and the air temperature]. The lounge areas were comfortable with free news papers and with a crackling log fire and without the ever present cooking smell would have been perfect. Despite my rather picky complaints we enjoyed our stay very much; out of season the rates are good, it's blissfully quiet and the sea views negated all our other concerns. We will return and hope then to meet the manager!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilReed186386
Clare W, General Manager at Luccombe Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your holiday with us. It is always helpful to hear feedback from our guests and I do appreciate your balanced views regarding your stay.

During the week of your stay, we did carry out some maintenance work in the squash court, re-plastering the wall and replacing the lights. The squash court was out of action for a few days but not the entire weeks duration of your stay. I do hope this did not inconvenience you too much.

I am sorry that you found the pool area a little warm. I remember that we did have a few days back in March when the weather had a complete turn around from icy to spring- like. We noticed that the pool area and water had suddenly got warmer and turned the boiler down. I guess it didn't have to work quite so hard with the outdoor temperature having risen so suddenly.

I am sorry that you felt it would be taken as a complaint, to mention the non-functioning spa bath. Had you mentioned it, I could have shown you that the switch to the spa bath had been accidently turned off and simply turned it back on again. The switch is located next to the dressing table, just the other side of the bathroom wall. Despite being unable to use the spa bath, I am glad that you appreciated the upgrade to one of our superior sea-facing rooms that benefit from some stunning views out across the bay.

I apologise that you didn't find the evening meal to your liking and only joined us for dinner on the 1st night. We are continually reviewing our menu to appeal to our many and varied guests and hope that on a return trip to us, you would find yourselves more impressed.

Although I would very much like you to return to our hotel and have an even better stay with us next time, I can assure you that we did meet and I spoke to you several times during the week of your stay. At the beginning of your review you mention how the Island was affected by the bad weather at the tail end of last and beginning of this year. I did have quite a lengthy conversation with you about this very subject. I do always wear a name badge stating my position and I make a point of doing the majority of my work from the front desk so that I can meet and speak with as many guests as possible and be readily available should any problems arise.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope I make more of an impression on you next time!

Clare Wells
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We went with friends on a Travel Zoo deal. Excellent value. This is a good hotel, with nice comfortable rooms. Bed a bit hard but that happens sometimes. You cannot please everyone's back ! Breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice and the evening meal was lovely. Younger staff could do with a bit more training but the staff were good. The hotel was in a good position for us walkers and also going into town at night if you eat out. Shanklin has plenty to offer. Its a truly back in time place, pretty and quiet out of the holiday season. Would definitley stay here again and would recommend anyone to visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 5 April 2014

At first sight the plain dark Victorian lines of the hotel, the very narrow entrances to 2 small car parks, the chipped-paint entrance door and dark reception area cause qualms, but these are quickly dispelled by the cheerful efficient welcome and high standard of service in all areas. The carpets, decorations and beds are excellent; thought has gone in to providing a luminous clock radio and very good lighting. Our bathroom was good apart from the lethal shelf over the sink waiting for anyone bending over to wash or shave. Good food was reasonably priced and quickly and cheerfully served; breakfast was ample, had a good self-service toaster and the rare foresight to provide an adjacent bin for used cereal packets. The indoor pool was beautifully warm and the provision of table-tennis, squash and bar billiards enterprising. The Spring garden was beautiful, enhancing the sea view - perhaps by summer it will be better weeded!
A tip - take a first floor room, the stairs to the next floor were killers and there is no lift. Altogether a very pleasant stay and we hope to return.
Cato

Room Tip: It is worthwhile to pay a little extra (readily provided on top of an offer-deal) to get a first-flo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank David G
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We booked a three night stay and enjoyed it thoroughly. The hotel was formerly the summer residence of a Victorian Bishop of Portsmouth and lacks such comforts as a lift but the staff are uniformly brilliant, particularly on reception. The rooms are great and the facilities in them as good as one could want. We had a wonderful cream tea, but the food was otherwise not really up to scratch. Our first night dinner produced boeuf bougignon in which the beef was tough because overcooked. The breakfasts were partly cold and the mushrooms, I think, were tinned. But we will return, because, overall, the experience was positive. The views of the sea from the breakfast terrace are wonderful and, as I said.the staff were brilliant.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Clare W, General Manager at Luccombe Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and found the rooms and views good.

I am sorry you did not find all the meals served completely to your satisfaction. I will pass your comments about the food on to our head chef. We do not use tinned mushrooms, only fresh.

I hope you will return to Luccombe Hall in the future.

Cambridge
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Just stayed here for 1st wedding anniversary.

Room was upgraded twice and the staff were so friendly, polite and approachable.

Yes the decor is somewhat dated but actually the location is fab and the views are amazing.

The facilities are good, indoor pool and hot tub, sauna, squash court and games room. Bar is nice and big and the hotel has a really relaxing feel to it.

Food was a touch rich for my taste, but that's just me, if need be there are lovely pub/restaurants 5-10 minutes walk (probably less) away.

My mother and father have been before and would go again and so would we.

Great break!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank KCNJ
Clare W, General Manager at Luccombe Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for your review. Congratulations on your 1st wedding anniversary. I am glad you enjoyed yourselves celebrating it with a stay at our hotel. We do try to upgrade our guests when our availability allows it with priority to those celebrating and, of course, our regular guests. I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Luccombe Hall for many more anniversary celebrations in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We arrived to a warm welcome on the reception desk and shown to our room. Pleasantly surprised by the spaciousness and glorious view. Crisp white sheets and a comfy bed...
Decided to eat in the restaurant on the first night and WOW..!! The food was devine (compliments to the young chef) service first class and ambiance spot on... Afterwards we adjourned to the bar area and had the pleasure of meeting 'Dave.' Very friendly and informative.. Thoroughly nice chap.!
Good nights sleep and after the delish dinner the previous eve we hastily made our way down to brekkie and we were not disappointed. Generous portions with plenty of choice. My man is 6'5 and weighs 17 stone and loves his grub and even he felt full...
All in all we would highly recommend Luccombe Hall to one and all and can not wait to return. Thanks to all the staff...

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your views on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that you had such a lovely short break with us and that you appreciated your spacious sea-facing room. I have passed your comments about the food on to James, our head chef. He was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meals with us and that your husband left feeling full. I must say that I completely agree with you-Dave is a thoroughly nice chap and one of our most treasured members of staff. I do hope to see you back again at Luccombe Hall in the future.

Clare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
The Wight
The Wight
#6 of 29 in Sandown
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Luccombe Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!