“Fantastic stay!”

Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my adult son for 2 nights as we wanted to walk some of the coast paths. The staff in the hotel are so helpful in every way, even taking the trouble to find and print off some suggested walks for us. The hotel is in an ideal location for walks, would definitely recommend the one to Ventnor which is really varied....and we had an excellent lunch in the pub at the end of the walk!
Our room was spacious and very comfortable with a fabulous view of the sea. Breakfasts were of excellent quality and the dinner menu was extensive and very well presented. Again the bar and restaurant staff were great.
I have stayed here before and will do so again. The staff here definitely go the extra mile!

Room Tip: All the sea facing rooms are great. Room 26 on the ground floor was really convenient and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Beautiful location looking over established gardens and Shanklin beach. Hotel itself is in need of some updating, although wouldn't like for it to loose old charm. Just returned from 3 very pleasant nights in room 6. Quite a compact 1st floor room, although no problem, very light and airy . Nice , large, bright recently renovated bathroom with Jacuzzi bath. Shared facilities with sister hotel next door, include outdoor pool and bright/peaceful quiet lounge overlooking pool and gardens. This hotel is a short walk through local park to centre of Shanklin.
Staff were all excellent... extremely polite, helpful , nothing is too much trouble. All in all a very pleasant break where we were made to feel important.. Well done

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Croydon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Great setting with beautiful sea views in a quiet part of Shanklin. Character hotel with well-sized rooms, slightly dated decor but comfortable with a powerful shower over the bath in the en suite bathroom.

However, the food was very disappointing both at breakfast and the on evening meal. We had bought a deal which included one evening meal and an afternoon tea during our two night stay. The experience of our first meal, which was our evening meal on the first night made us very nervous as we approached breakfast the next morning. The starter had been palatable but my wife could not eat her main; a pork dish which was just, tasteless and chewy. The "English Breakfast" was a disappointment with cheap cardboard bread for us to make toast, over-cooked bacon, greasy tomatoes and not-sure-what-had-been-done to the tomato. My haddock just tasted odd but the poached egg and plenty of pepper made it palatable.

The swimming pool, hot tub and sauna were just ideal. not too big and not too small and all worked well.

We would stay again if we could get the deal we had managed to obtain but we would skip the food. The comfortable room, the facilities and location were worth the money in themselves.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

You have to remember this is a 3 star hotel so cannot be compared to a 4 or 5 star establishment. The building has lots of character (in the original parts), is clean and spacious and has amazing views over the beach. The staff we encountered were just lovely, really friendly and couldn't help enough. The only downside at certain times there weren't enough of them. This was particularly evident on reception and the bar in the evening. Food was OK, breakfast was plentiful but not necessarily of great quality particularly the sausage! Evening meals were OK, however, I don't think we would dine in if we went again. Although we had a lovely time I found the hotel a little expensive for what we got - we had a superior (family) room with a sea view. Duvets and pillows were very flat and thin, however there were mattress and pillow protectors.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JLM71
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Luccombe Hall Hotel. When we arrived there was no one present at reception - had to ring bell twice before we were seen to. Receptionist was very helpful and friendly and showed us around the hotel. Our room was very small for a family of 4 and the beds were very uncomfortable, you could actually feel the springs through the mattresses. There were only two electric points in our room, one which had an extension lead. Not ideal in a room where the mirror is in the corner and to use hairdryer or straighteners the extension lead is stretched across the floor - a trip hazard in the making !! We were on the ground floor of the hotel and had a nice view of the garden and outdoor pool. However we could hear the guests television who were in the room above us and the movement around sounded like a heard of elephants ( sound proofing not good). We used the pool once, although the temperature was warm I felt it was too hot out of the pool and very dark and dingy to be in the pool for too long.Ventilation another issue for this area as there is mold on the ceiling. The breakfasts were well presented and there was plenty of choice and it certainly kept you going till lunchtime. The staff were helpful, friendly and very attentative. The hotel is in need of some real TLC - it looks very tired and unloved - peeling wall paper, paint chipped windows and doors. A very unloved hotel in my opinion and although the staff were lovely, the hotel and facilities lets it down.

Room Tip: If you want a good night sleep - check the beds and also if you are on the newer build part of the h...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Have just this second got home from a wonderful stay here,from the minute I checked in at reception with Cathy who was lovely, given a sea view as was a birthday present,my 7 year old was impressed so much to do for him he loved it,seaviews best I've seen,excellent breakfast,fabulous hotel excellent location,would definitely return and tell friends and family, I'm a fussy lil minx,but certainly no complaints here,thank you to all the staff,perfect x

• Stayed April 2014
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed a week and were blessed with wonderfully warm spring sunshine in which the rather battered old island looked stunning. Recovering from a devastatingly damaging winter of storms and floods the island had the feel of a disaster zone with many coastal footpaths and road closures due to landslides. The travel chaos wasn't helped but the authorities deciding to change all the traffic lights which meant more road closures. We appreciated a room upgrade to one with a gorgeous sea view and felt it would be churlish therefor to complain that the bubble bath didn't work. Breakfasts were reasonable although we had to ask for the fresh fruit and on sunny mornings the lovely conservatory does get uncomfortably hot. We ate in only once and found the food mediocre and the desserts distinctly poor. Staff were pleasant although in seven days we saw no one who appeared in charge and although staff tried hard with a bit of management input things could have been improved. The squash court was closed during our visit and we found the indoor swimming pool too overpoweringly hot to use [both the water and the air temperature]. The lounge areas were comfortable with free news papers and with a crackling log fire and without the ever present cooking smell would have been perfect. Despite my rather picky complaints we enjoyed our stay very much; out of season the rates are good, it's blissfully quiet and the sea views negated all our other concerns. We will return and hope then to meet the manager!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilReed186386
Clare W, General Manager at Luccombe Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your holiday with us. It is always helpful to hear feedback from our guests and I do appreciate your balanced views regarding your stay.

During the week of your stay, we did carry out some maintenance work in the squash court, re-plastering the wall and replacing the lights. The squash court was out of action for a few days but not the entire weeks duration of your stay. I do hope this did not inconvenience you too much.

I am sorry that you found the pool area a little warm. I remember that we did have a few days back in March when the weather had a complete turn around from icy to spring- like. We noticed that the pool area and water had suddenly got warmer and turned the boiler down. I guess it didn't have to work quite so hard with the outdoor temperature having risen so suddenly.

I am sorry that you felt it would be taken as a complaint, to mention the non-functioning spa bath. Had you mentioned it, I could have shown you that the switch to the spa bath had been accidently turned off and simply turned it back on again. The switch is located next to the dressing table, just the other side of the bathroom wall. Despite being unable to use the spa bath, I am glad that you appreciated the upgrade to one of our superior sea-facing rooms that benefit from some stunning views out across the bay.

I apologise that you didn't find the evening meal to your liking and only joined us for dinner on the 1st night. We are continually reviewing our menu to appeal to our many and varied guests and hope that on a return trip to us, you would find yourselves more impressed.

Although I would very much like you to return to our hotel and have an even better stay with us next time, I can assure you that we did meet and I spoke to you several times during the week of your stay. At the beginning of your review you mention how the Island was affected by the bad weather at the tail end of last and beginning of this year. I did have quite a lengthy conversation with you about this very subject. I do always wear a name badge stating my position and I make a point of doing the majority of my work from the front desk so that I can meet and speak with as many guests as possible and be readily available should any problems arise.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope I make more of an impression on you next time!

Kind Regards

Clare Wells
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
The Wight
The Wight
#6 of 29 in Sandown
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Luccombe Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!