We paid £99 for what the Receptionist thought was Dinner Bed and Breakfast, and told us that we had been reimbursed £30 for dinner - all booked through Booking.com. However, when we queried this, because we had booked through Booking.com, it turned out we had paid over the odds purely for B&B. This was a phenomenal fee for staying in such an old-fashioned hotel.
I had booked what I thought was a Spa Hotel. The "Spa" consisted of a non-working steam room (large steam shower cubicle) and a 'dry' sauna which just about sat three. The pool was so deep at 5' in the shallow end and very narrow. The changing area wasn't up to par, there were no products at the small open shower cubicle opening onto the pool, and it was really rather a repellant place to spend time.
There was no sound-proofing, it was as though we had other guests talking loudly in our room, so this woke us at night. The bathroom taps affected the shower instantly, and there was one of those dreadful non-slip mats (very old-fashioned nowadays) with rather sad-looking sachets for hair/shower purposes. It was all so yesterday...stepping back thirty years.
Breakfast was OK, but I've had bigger pieces of haddock, though it was nice to have this option. The service wasn't exceptional nor friendly. Grapefruit and prunes did not appear until after my cooked breakfast, it had been muesli before, which was disappointing.
The Isle of Wight generally seems like stepping back thirty years, and this hotel hasn't updated noticeably from what was being offered around that time. Describing itself as having a spa is overstepping the mark, so I would never recommend this as it was a huge amount to pay for so very little!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bourne Hall, an elegant Country House, Hotel and restaurant, set in mature grounds in Shanklin, Isle of Wight. Originally built in the late 1860’s, said to be for one of Queen Victoria’s ladies in waiting, the "house" still retains its sense of history whilst providing comfortable accommodation enhanced by its original Victorian features. Uniquely located on an elevated position at the foot of Luccombe Downs, benefits both countryside and coastal Vistas. The Hotel enjoys exquisite views, by day and night, across Sandown and Shanklin Bay, and onwards to Culver Downs. Situated minutes walk south of Shanklin "old village," this 30 bedroom, 3 star hotel offers a range of classic and premier rooms, family rooms and suites, comprehensive leisure & health facilities, and a stylish restaurant. Bourne Hall provides the ideal setting for weekend special breaks or longer stays, private functions, weddings and business meetings/conferences. We take pride in our friendliness and attention to detail and always endeavour to make your experience comfortable and most enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Bourne Hall Country Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bourne Hall Country Hotel And Restaurant
- Bourne Hall Country Shanklin
- Bourne Hall Country Hotel Shanklin, Isle Of Wight