“Such a shame, could be so good”

Bourne Hall Country Hotel
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Kingsteignton, United Kingdom
“Such a shame, could be so good”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

What a lovely building, fabulous views and delightful staff. It is such a shame that corners are being cut, I would expect it in a 2 star but not a 3 star.
A single coffee biscuit in the room, no decent biscuits, awful cheap toilet paper, no conditioner, stingy portions at breakfast, what we had was tasted lovely, but 12 beans on the plate!, the steam room was taped up, the jacuzzi was 45c and scalded my legs, it was ok the next night and the one after that about 20c, the pool was cold and is not as hot as stated by the hotel. Reception doesn't open until 8am so no newspaper in bed, the only hotel I have ever stayed in like this.
The owner just needs to up his game just a little bit and it would be so much better.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank devonroamer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

The view across the Bay from this hotel is wondeful. Not the best value hotel I've stayed in but it was clean. 'Bourne Hall' sounds up market and may have been in its day. I was here many years ago and the quality paintings hanging on the walls throughout the public areas have all gone and been replaced. If the food was up to standard my review would be swayed to a more positive theme. As such the luke warm soup was completely tasteless. The dinner had been kept warm and as such dried. I ordered extra gravy and it was straight from the granules pot and came in one lump. Not a chef but I deduced a keen cook ,a hard working spotty young one under some pressure I assume.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We paid £99 for what the Receptionist thought was Dinner Bed and Breakfast, and told us that we had been reimbursed £30 for dinner - all booked through Booking.com. However, when we queried this, because we had booked through Booking.com, it turned out we had paid over the odds purely for B&B. This was a phenomenal fee for staying in such an old-fashioned hotel.

I had booked what I thought was a Spa Hotel. The "Spa" consisted of a non-working steam room (large steam shower cubicle) and a 'dry' sauna which just about sat three. The pool was so deep at 5' in the shallow end and very narrow. The changing area wasn't up to par, there were no products at the small open shower cubicle opening onto the pool, and it was really rather a repellant place to spend time.

There was no sound-proofing, it was as though we had other guests talking loudly in our room, so this woke us at night. The bathroom taps affected the shower instantly, and there was one of those dreadful non-slip mats (very old-fashioned nowadays) with rather sad-looking sachets for hair/shower purposes. It was all so yesterday...stepping back thirty years.

Breakfast was OK, but I've had bigger pieces of haddock, though it was nice to have this option. The service wasn't exceptional nor friendly. Grapefruit and prunes did not appear until after my cooked breakfast, it had been muesli before, which was disappointing.

The Isle of Wight generally seems like stepping back thirty years, and this hotel hasn't updated noticeably from what was being offered around that time. Describing itself as having a spa is overstepping the mark, so I would never recommend this as it was a huge amount to pay for so very little!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Gastronome20
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Stayed at this hotel on a mid week special break Monday to Friday in a superior room on half board. The hotel was excellent along with the facilities. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. The room was exquisite and the food was out of this world. This is not a roudy beach front hotel but a quiet retreat in walking distance of the beach. we will decently be going back.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Mark F
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Good things first: the staff were friendly and helpful and the cooked breakfast was ok (though I’ve had better); the bedroom and the bathroom were clean and the bed mattress was comfortable (and I have an expensive one at home to compare it with, so I think that’s objective).

However... the bedroom (no. 26) was small and dated, and there was no view of the sea; I knew about that before I arrived but even if there had been the small windows would have rendered it a bit irrelevant. The bed itself wasn’t kingsize either - do hotels like Bourne Hall really think that in this day and age it’s acceptable to charge more for a kingsize bed? The budget chain Premier Inn doesn’t! It also had sheets and blankets instead of a duvet (which admittedly some people might prefer) and the TV was one of the smallest I’ve ever seen in a hotel. The bathroom was at best functional; white tiles, no colour or embellishment. The rest of the hotel (I didn’t use any of the facilities so can’t comment on them) was equally dated and a bit shabby and in no sense could any aspect of what I saw be referred to as ‘luxury’.

In summary, the best that can be said is that the room was a clean, comfortable enough place to sleep. Which might have been fine except that the room cost £150 a night (7th and 8th September weekend) which was vastly, insultingly overpriced; when I walked into the room my heart sank – not what one wants after a long journey full of anticipation, and I felt a bit embarrassed in front of my girlfriend – I’d booked this to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. The website conveys a much more positive impression of the hotel than the reality – I should have realised that when the picture of the kind of room I had booked only showed the bedhead. I stay in hotels a lot, and for £150 a night I would expect far, far more; I’d say £75 a night would have been fairer value for money, but if the hotel were to be featured in the TV series ‘Four in a bed’, I suspect they’d struggle to get even that.

So, I feel really ripped off and find it amazing that they’re still in business; £150 a night is as far away from being fair value as it’s possible to be. I suspect they know this and probably wonder how they get away with charging so much themselves – maybe their clientele rarely stays anywhere else and has no point of comparison. So, 1 star for value, and 3 for the experience – a fair average of 2 stars. If you want to arrive somewhere and enjoy your stay without the huge disappointment of feeling that you’ve been made a monkey of, steer clear of Bourne Hall.

NJF

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neil F
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We went to Bourne Hall for a four day break last week. It was lovely. We had a premier room which had a king size fourposter bed. Very comfortable with a good mattress. I am not always able to sleep in hotel beds as they often have worn and saggy mattresses but this was lovely. The restaurant was very nice although not many people there. The food was absolutely wonderful. Plentiful and hot, the dinners were first rate and we enjoyed eating there every night. The staff are a credit to the hotel and in every case were helpful and obliging. We had a swim in the indoor pool - not brave enough the try the outside as it was very cold - and it was pleasantly warm although a bit dim inside. The purple drapes could do with being taken away and letting some more light in. The gardens are a bit steep in places but the view over Shanklin and Sandown to the cliffs beyond is lovely. Overall we had a great time. Would recommend the hotel and will cetainly go back. As with a lot of well used hotel rooms you could pick areas which could do with a lick of paint etc., but overall this place is fab.

Room Tip: We had a premier room at the front of the house which has the sea views. The rooms at the back are o...