Bourne Hall Country Hotel
US$203
Hotels.com
US$191
US$171
All reviewsleisure facilitiesindoor poolisle of wightlovely hotelpremier roomposter bedmain buildingsandown bayhotel is situatedany queriescold buffetcooked breakfastbooked this hotelquiet locationmini fridgepoached eggslarge room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We booked a 3 night break in March at Bourne Hall ONLY because it boasted an indoor heated pool and jacuzzi. This was the first disappointment. The jacuzzi was barely tepid and the pool unusable as it was completely freezing. The heating had been turned off and the door left open day and night 'because of the condensation problem'.Room 6 was spacious and had a good view but there was no light in the bathroom on the first night. This was fixed the next day. We had been looking forward to eating at the hotel but were told the restaurant was closed, another disappointment. Breakfast was ok but both orange juice and toast we requested were not forthcoming.Four poster bed a little uncomfortable and pillows were hard, we both came away with stiff necks.The polyester voile drapes around the bed really let down the rest of the soft furnishings.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
bournehallhoteliow, General Manager at Bourne Hall Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your response and helpful comments.

I apologize with reference to the pool not being to an adequate temperature, our leisure facilities have just been refurbished with pool carpet being laid throughout the complex, atmospheric LED lights and drapes being fitted. During this time, the pool and Jacuzzi had to be switched off and drained in order for our maintenance team to undertake the work. It may be the case that the pool and Jacuzzi had not reached the optimum temperature we would have liked it to be, however, I have investigated this and this has been resolved and will continue to be monitored.

With reference to the doors in the pool being opened, our maintenance that open the pool every morning open the doors to let fresh air circulate throughout the complex because of the moisture that comes from the pool and Jacuzzi . We find this makes the complex a lot more comfortable for our guests as the fresh air rejuvenates the rooms for a more refreshing swim. The doors are on runners and can be closed by guests to suit their personal preferences.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, occasionally in the hotel some problems do occur with technical faults however, I do not understand your need to comment with reference to the light in your bathroom becoming technical on the first evening of your stay as the minute you reported this to me, at around 7 pm when you were on your way out for dinner ,I called our electrician and he rectified the fault first thing the next morning. As soon as you returned, I confirmed to you that he would be up to the hotel first thing and informed you that you could use the bathroom in the room next door. You declined my offer. I, therefore, feel I did everything I could for you to try and make this not affect your stay.

At the time when you stayed our restaurant was unfortunately closed however, you did only book on a Bed and Breakfast basis and had not inquired prior to your arrival regarding dinner. We do always specify in our booking confirmations that it is advisable to ring and book should you wish to dine as we can never guarantee that there will be availability in the restaurant if you are to leave this to the last minute and also we cater for functions and weddings therefore, occasionally our restaurant may be hired for a private function. We specify this to try and avoid disappointment and to give our guests the opportunity to amend the dates of their stay with us should they specifically like to dine with us. Furthermore, we now have a new bistro menu that has been created by our chef for guests that would like to dine and this is available for dining in our drawing room and bar should the restaurant be either fully booked or closed due to a private function.

I am unsure as to what you mean by your comment stating ' breakfast was ok' and ' orange juice and toast was not forthcoming'. We offer an extensive cold buffet for our guests with a traditional cooked breakfast to order. When we are down to lower occupancy we offer everything by table service to ensure everything is fresh.

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a comfortable stay. Shoudl you have informed us of the fact that you found our pillows 'hard' housekeeping would have given you some softer pillows. All of our beds have recently been fitted with memory foam mattress toppers to improve our guests sleep. Memory foam may not be favored by all however, we feel this is a very comfortable extra to provide.

Again, I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us as much as we would have hoped and I have noted your comments.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I really enjoyed my 6 night stay at Bourne Hall, the staff were very welcoming and helpful, the sea views are awesome, the room was very clean, breakfast was great with lots of choice, the leisure facilities were much better than other places I've stayed at, I look forward to booking again next year.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely response.

It is great to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to booking again next year.

Here at Bourne Hall, I and the staff have a good relationship with a lot of our corporate/ business guests,with a lot of guests that stay with us on a regular basis. We endeavor to make our guests travelling alone comfortable and almost as if they feel they are staying at a ' home away from home' as sometimes, travelling on business can be rather tedious!

I very much look forward to seeing you again next year!

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

What a gem. We made the booking fairly recently and got a very good rate for our double room. On arrival we had a free upgrade to room 4 which is superb. Three bay windows which afford lovely sea views. Room very nicely appointed and the bed was so comfy that a good night's sleep was pretty much guaranteed. The pool was a bit chilly but we enjoyed our swim, and the Jacuzzi was very nice. There is gym equipment available, as well as a sauna, should the urge take you. Breakfast offered plenty of choice. We didn't eat in during the evening simply because we wanted to try what shanklin had to offer. I had a massage and organic facial at the hotel, both highly recommended. The whole hotel is tastefully decorated and exudes an air of quiet gentility. Lovely.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am thoroughly happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you would like to stay at the hotel again. We do like to try to upgrade our guests where we can and this is the benefit to travelling in low season.

Our leisure facilities have just undergone refurbishment and I am very pleased to hear that you made the most of these facilities and even more that you enjoyed them!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Dodgy PVC doors and windows have much to answer for! Wonderful reception rooms and bedrooms, such potential if it was not situated at the bottom of the Isle of Wight. Supposedly built for one of Queen Victoria's Ladies in Waiting, she may have been alarmed by the pine furniture in the grand bedrooms, including the four poster! Designer bath looks the part but its smooth curves prevents you standing under the shower. Finally, the indoor pool that is a 75m walk from the main hotel; slipping on a robe (£2.50 excess charge) and flip flops is not an option if the weather is anything other than tropical. Such a shame.

Room Tip: Ask for a view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your opinionated review.

I would like to begin by saying that I am very sorry that you do not seem to have enjoyed your stay with us 100%, as it is always our aim to ensure that our guests enjoy their stays to the absolute full, however, I would comment that some of your remarks seem to be a little out of my ability to change .

Firstly, with reference to your comment regarding our location, we are situated at the ' bottom' or southern part of the Isle of Wight on the outskirts of a small village called Shanklin. The vast majority of our guests comment on how beautiful Shanklin is and also the wonderful view of Shanklin and Sandown bay that is gained from our elevated position. I am aware that Shanklin may not be to everybody's taste and obviously, if I could uproot the hotel and move it to suit all our guests then of course I would, however, unfortunately this is not achievable.

Secondly, I now move onto your comment with reference to our pine furniture in some of our rooms. You are right in saying that it is locally spoken that the hotel was indeed built for a Lady in Waiting to Queen Victoria. Unfortunately, I was not around when Queen Victoria's Lady in Waiting was alive to ask her opinion on our choice of furnishings, however, if she was I would endeavor to ask her if she agrees with your opinion. It seems to me that you have an issue with pine furniture and should you have informed us of this, I would have put you in another of our premier rooms that has walnut furniture contained within this room. Furthermore, I apologize if the bath in your room was not shaped to your taste. The room you were staying in has just had a new bathroom installed in the last year and the majority of reviews are that the bathroom in that room is lovely due to its large corner bath and natural light, however, I have noted your comments for future reference.

Our indoor pool is situated in a separate building to the hotel. I unfortunately cannot confirm the exact distance that the leisure building is from the main building, but can comment that some find this a bonus as you can enjoy the grounds of the hotel and a view of the gardens from the outdoor pool with the whole complex being one. We are fortunate enough to have the facility to provide both an indoor and outdoor pool with Jacuzzi and sauna at the hotel for our guests to enjoy at their leisure. Again, I apologize if you did not find these facilities to your liking and again, I note your comments.

Finally, I move onto the title of your review. I do not quite understand what you refer to when you say 'Victorian Pile'?! However, I can respond to your comment of 'now a coach stop'. At Bourne Hall, myself and the staff pride ourselves on the basis that we cater for all we can. From functions to weddings, from coach parties to our private guests. We do welcome coach parties, mainly during our low seasons. We very much enjoy our coach business and find that it is a delight as without coach tours some guests who may have lost their partners would not feel comfortable holidaying alone. Furthermore, we treat our guests who have arrived by coach the same as any other. We try our utmost to provide a lovely atmosphere for guests to enjoy their stays with us and make friends. Some of our regular guests actually met at Bourne Hall and holiday with us regularly. I am sorry if our welcoming coach parties is not ideal for yourself, however, I do not entirely see how this was a problem during your stay as we did not have any guests who had arrived by coach staying at the hotel during your stay. I understand that the only reason you discovered that we took coach groups here is because the owner of the hotel was very courteous to you, having a lengthy conversation in the bar with you the evening of your stay. It seems his courteous conversation was not welcomed as your comments suggest.

Apologies again for the fact that you did not enjoy your stay with us, however, I do wish you had informed us of these comments during your stay.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

we had a lovely weekend here we booked into lady osbourne suite and you would not be disappointed spa bath. something out of a fairy tale with the spiral stair case leading up to the four poster bed and downstairs in living area a balcony overlooking the garden. we had a lovely hot stone treatment on the Saturday morning a perfect way to start the weekend. The staff were great nothing was to much trouble always on hand and very helpful. swimming pool was alittle bit cold but that was not a problem ..in the evening had a drink in the bar cheaper than some hotels we have stayed at and views across the bay were amazing felt totally chilled out and shame we had to come home but have booked again...Thank you paula ,carol and mark and the team you made us very welcome and a very enjoyable weekend

Room Tip: I would go for a suite you would not be disappointed but I ,am sure you will not be disappointed in any room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay and also that you have chosen to return to the hotel.

The Lady Osborne Suite does have that ' wow' factor as it is not what some would call a 'normal' room with its spiral staircase and balcony bedroom and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed these factors.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.