“Experinced cleaner required”

Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Experinced cleaner required”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed at the hotel back in march and the room was not as clean as it should be but my wife still gave them good feed back on here.
We went back as we loved the hotel and the Lady Osborne suite and thought ok it was just a blip on the cleaners side, nope afraid not when we got to the room there was bits of paper on the the stairs dust hanging off the walls and cob webs over the chimney stack. My wife is asthmatic and dust sets it of, so we went down to reception and Paula said we made sure that room was cleaned as we knew you was coming. We settled down for the night but in the morning we found more evidence the room had not been cleaned and a rip in the sheet, so back down stairs and found Paula and she said i do not need to come into work and be faced with this and then we heard her moaning to some one in the kitchen about us but she did say she would get the cleaner to do a deep clean after we showed her the room. When we went to check out we asked if we would be compensated for all the problem and was told well you had a very good room rate so no you will not and another member of staff accused us of switching light bulbs which had blown in the room. That is disgusting they are in the wrong and providing a room for £290 that was not clean to a good standard what a rip off not happy by a long shot. Will never go back after this so be warned plus carol sent my wife an email as to why there was a card with a date and time we placed it to test the cleaners and took them 2 days to find it.we are seeking legal advice about getting compensation and we feel ripped off.see photos

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
bournehallhoteliow, General Manager at Bourne Hall Country Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Firstly, I again apologize if the room was not up to the standards we aim for, however, I am somewhat bemused by some of the comments left in your review.

I begin by stating that surely a 'rip' in the bed sheets the size of the one found on yours would have been firstly noticed by the 2 housekeepers that made up the room before your arrival and secondly would this not have been noticed by you when you got into bed as opposed to the following morning?

If you were so disappointed with the room then may I ask as to why you then asked to re book for October as a surprise for your husband for your first wedding anniversary?

This now brings me to your comments relating to check out. Unfortunately as we had already given you a discount off of the room for the problems encountered, I was not at liberty to give you any further discount. I was trying to 'hint' that 'if' you stayed again, which obviously I could not say you were as this was a surprise for your husband, that I would give you a good rate for your return. Upon leaving you seemed satisfied and continued a perfectly courteous conversation about your house visitors you were having to stay the following week. Surely if you were unhappy of my response you would have mentioned so then?!

It was only when an email was sent to you by the owner of the hotel requesting an explanation as to why you had hidden a piece of paper in the room for our housekeepers to find, did you feel the need to state that you were not happy by my response on check out... again I ask why you did not bring this to my personal attention when I informed you?

I furthermore point out that hiding pieces of paper around a room for our housekeepers to find brought a member of my team close to tears at the fact that she could not find it of which we finally recovered from within the sofa bed. I may also add that during your stay it is the housekeepers job to service the room, i.e. making the bed, cleaning the bathroom, emptying bins, replacing towels and stocking up complimentary supplies, and not to turn the room upside down everyday.

Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great weekend break of 3 nights. Room 4 was excellent with sea view and 4 poster bed. The fridge was very noisy so we turned it off at night. I was clean and comfortable with good seating. The breakfast offering had plenty of variety my only grouse is that the full English needed a decent sausage. The lounge and bar were well furnished and comfortable. Generally the cleaning was good but could have done with attention to detail in the bathroom; disposal bags not replaced when empty. Enjoyed the indoor pool and Jacuzzi. Lovely weekend, thanks.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
bournehallhoteliow, General Manager at Bourne Hall Country Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Room 4. I apologise for the noisy fridge, a member of staff shall look into the noise to try and ensure this does not disturb any other guests.

Thank you for your comments with reference to the disposal bags, I assume this must have been a slight oversight as our housekeeping generally change the bags daily. Thank you, however for bringing this to my attention.

Hoping you had a safe journey home.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Me and my mum stayed at this hotel at the end of March 2014, The customer service was excellent. For a 3 star hotel the cleanliness was average, the sea views were amazing but the hill to get to the hotel is not suitable if your unfit! The room was on the small side and the facilities in the room could do with being updated, the leisure facilities were a little disappointing the pool was unmanned and because it was in a outside building, there was mold and damp on the walls. The breakfast was acceptable but the sleep was not great as very hard mattress. Would not stay at this hotel again due to the location and facilities, but an overall good weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
bournehallhoteliow, General Manager at Bourne Hall Country Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

I must start by saying that it is very lovely to hear that you found our staff to offer a good service. Our main aim at Bourne Hall is to provide a friendly and approachable service.

Referring to my comment about approachable service, I am somewhat unsure as to why you did not find our staff approachable enough to inform us of your issues during your stay.

It is a shame that you found our rooms 'small'. We often get guests commenting on how spacious they find our rooms compared to others they have stayed in, however, your comment is welcomed.

I completely agree with you that there should not be 'mould' on the walls in the leisure area and I will investigate this. The pool area can be damp at times as the pool is a heated pool and gives off a large amount of steam , particularly due to its size. Should this have been mentioned during your stay this would have been immediately dealt with and a sincere apology would have been offered, should we have even been given the opportunity to have done this.

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a very good nights sleep or enjoy breakfast. Our beds are all fitted with memory foam toppers as the general synopsis seems to be that memory foam is a comfortable extra however, we understand this is not to everybody's taste and should you have mentioned this to a member of staff, our housekeepers would have been happy to have removed these during your stay to make you more comfortable.

With reference to breakfast, I am sorry to hear that you thought our breakfast was merely 'acceptable'. It would be helpful to know exactly why you found this as all of our breakfast produce is freshly cooked to order. Again, perhaps if you had mentioned this and your reasons during your stay I or a member of my team could have done our best to try and ensure your breakfast was to your preference.

I unfortunately, cannot do anything about the hill we are situated on however, this is a good recommendation to other guests. It is a steep hill to walk, however, if we were situated at the bottom, we would not benefit from the wonderful views of Sandown and Shanklin bay. Our staff are always willing to order taxis for any guests who would not like to walk to town.

I am sorry to hear some of your comments, however, when you checked out you were asked if you enjoyed your stay by my colleague and you seemingly enjoyed it with no comment in relation to any of the above. It is a shame we were not given the opportunity to address some of the issues and try and make your stay with us as enjoyable as possible.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We booked a 3 night break in March at Bourne Hall ONLY because it boasted an indoor heated pool and jacuzzi. This was the first disappointment. The jacuzzi was barely tepid and the pool unusable as it was completely freezing. The heating had been turned off and the door left open day and night 'because of the condensation problem'.Room 6 was spacious and had a good view but there was no light in the bathroom on the first night. This was fixed the next day. We had been looking forward to eating at the hotel but were told the restaurant was closed, another disappointment. Breakfast was ok but both orange juice and toast we requested were not forthcoming.Four poster bed a little uncomfortable and pillows were hard, we both came away with stiff necks.The polyester voile drapes around the bed really let down the rest of the soft furnishings.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your response and helpful comments.

I apologize with reference to the pool not being to an adequate temperature, our leisure facilities have just been refurbished with pool carpet being laid throughout the complex, atmospheric LED lights and drapes being fitted. During this time, the pool and Jacuzzi had to be switched off and drained in order for our maintenance team to undertake the work. It may be the case that the pool and Jacuzzi had not reached the optimum temperature we would have liked it to be, however, I have investigated this and this has been resolved and will continue to be monitored.

With reference to the doors in the pool being opened, our maintenance that open the pool every morning open the doors to let fresh air circulate throughout the complex because of the moisture that comes from the pool and Jacuzzi . We find this makes the complex a lot more comfortable for our guests as the fresh air rejuvenates the rooms for a more refreshing swim. The doors are on runners and can be closed by guests to suit their personal preferences.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, occasionally in the hotel some problems do occur with technical faults however, I do not understand your need to comment with reference to the light in your bathroom becoming technical on the first evening of your stay as the minute you reported this to me, at around 7 pm when you were on your way out for dinner ,I called our electrician and he rectified the fault first thing the next morning. As soon as you returned, I confirmed to you that he would be up to the hotel first thing and informed you that you could use the bathroom in the room next door. You declined my offer. I, therefore, feel I did everything I could for you to try and make this not affect your stay.

At the time when you stayed our restaurant was unfortunately closed however, you did only book on a Bed and Breakfast basis and had not inquired prior to your arrival regarding dinner. We do always specify in our booking confirmations that it is advisable to ring and book should you wish to dine as we can never guarantee that there will be availability in the restaurant if you are to leave this to the last minute and also we cater for functions and weddings therefore, occasionally our restaurant may be hired for a private function. We specify this to try and avoid disappointment and to give our guests the opportunity to amend the dates of their stay with us should they specifically like to dine with us. Furthermore, we now have a new bistro menu that has been created by our chef for guests that would like to dine and this is available for dining in our drawing room and bar should the restaurant be either fully booked or closed due to a private function.

I am unsure as to what you mean by your comment stating ' breakfast was ok' and ' orange juice and toast was not forthcoming'. We offer an extensive cold buffet for our guests with a traditional cooked breakfast to order. When we are down to lower occupancy we offer everything by table service to ensure everything is fresh.

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a comfortable stay. Shoudl you have informed us of the fact that you found our pillows 'hard' housekeeping would have given you some softer pillows. All of our beds have recently been fitted with memory foam mattress toppers to improve our guests sleep. Memory foam may not be favored by all however, we feel this is a very comfortable extra to provide.

Again, I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us as much as we would have hoped and I have noted your comments.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I really enjoyed my 6 night stay at Bourne Hall, the staff were very welcoming and helpful, the sea views are awesome, the room was very clean, breakfast was great with lots of choice, the leisure facilities were much better than other places I've stayed at, I look forward to booking again next year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely response.

It is great to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to booking again next year.

Here at Bourne Hall, I and the staff have a good relationship with a lot of our corporate/ business guests,with a lot of guests that stay with us on a regular basis. We endeavor to make our guests travelling alone comfortable and almost as if they feel they are staying at a ' home away from home' as sometimes, travelling on business can be rather tedious!

I very much look forward to seeing you again next year!

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Surrey
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

What a gem. We made the booking fairly recently and got a very good rate for our double room. On arrival we had a free upgrade to room 4 which is superb. Three bay windows which afford lovely sea views. Room very nicely appointed and the bed was so comfy that a good night's sleep was pretty much guaranteed. The pool was a bit chilly but we enjoyed our swim, and the Jacuzzi was very nice. There is gym equipment available, as well as a sauna, should the urge take you. Breakfast offered plenty of choice. We didn't eat in during the evening simply because we wanted to try what shanklin had to offer. I had a massage and organic facial at the hotel, both highly recommended. The whole hotel is tastefully decorated and exudes an air of quiet gentility. Lovely.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am thoroughly happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you would like to stay at the hotel again. We do like to try to upgrade our guests where we can and this is the benefit to travelling in low season.

Our leisure facilities have just undergone refurbishment and I am very pleased to hear that you made the most of these facilities and even more that you enjoyed them!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Buckhurst Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Dodgy PVC doors and windows have much to answer for! Wonderful reception rooms and bedrooms, such potential if it was not situated at the bottom of the Isle of Wight. Supposedly built for one of Queen Victoria's Ladies in Waiting, she may have been alarmed by the pine furniture in the grand bedrooms, including the four poster! Designer bath looks the part but its smooth curves prevents you standing under the shower. Finally, the indoor pool that is a 75m walk from the main hotel; slipping on a robe (£2.50 excess charge) and flip flops is not an option if the weather is anything other than tropical. Such a shame.

Room Tip: Ask for a view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your opinionated review.

I would like to begin by saying that I am very sorry that you do not seem to have enjoyed your stay with us 100%, as it is always our aim to ensure that our guests enjoy their stays to the absolute full, however, I would comment that some of your remarks seem to be a little out of my ability to change .

Firstly, with reference to your comment regarding our location, we are situated at the ' bottom' or southern part of the Isle of Wight on the outskirts of a small village called Shanklin. The vast majority of our guests comment on how beautiful Shanklin is and also the wonderful view of Shanklin and Sandown bay that is gained from our elevated position. I am aware that Shanklin may not be to everybody's taste and obviously, if I could uproot the hotel and move it to suit all our guests then of course I would, however, unfortunately this is not achievable.

Secondly, I now move onto your comment with reference to our pine furniture in some of our rooms. You are right in saying that it is locally spoken that the hotel was indeed built for a Lady in Waiting to Queen Victoria. Unfortunately, I was not around when Queen Victoria's Lady in Waiting was alive to ask her opinion on our choice of furnishings, however, if she was I would endeavor to ask her if she agrees with your opinion. It seems to me that you have an issue with pine furniture and should you have informed us of this, I would have put you in another of our premier rooms that has walnut furniture contained within this room. Furthermore, I apologize if the bath in your room was not shaped to your taste. The room you were staying in has just had a new bathroom installed in the last year and the majority of reviews are that the bathroom in that room is lovely due to its large corner bath and natural light, however, I have noted your comments for future reference.

Our indoor pool is situated in a separate building to the hotel. I unfortunately cannot confirm the exact distance that the leisure building is from the main building, but can comment that some find this a bonus as you can enjoy the grounds of the hotel and a view of the gardens from the outdoor pool with the whole complex being one. We are fortunate enough to have the facility to provide both an indoor and outdoor pool with Jacuzzi and sauna at the hotel for our guests to enjoy at their leisure. Again, I apologize if you did not find these facilities to your liking and again, I note your comments.

Finally, I move onto the title of your review. I do not quite understand what you refer to when you say 'Victorian Pile'?! However, I can respond to your comment of 'now a coach stop'. At Bourne Hall, myself and the staff pride ourselves on the basis that we cater for all we can. From functions to weddings, from coach parties to our private guests. We do welcome coach parties, mainly during our low seasons. We very much enjoy our coach business and find that it is a delight as without coach tours some guests who may have lost their partners would not feel comfortable holidaying alone. Furthermore, we treat our guests who have arrived by coach the same as any other. We try our utmost to provide a lovely atmosphere for guests to enjoy their stays with us and make friends. Some of our regular guests actually met at Bourne Hall and holiday with us regularly. I am sorry if our welcoming coach parties is not ideal for yourself, however, I do not entirely see how this was a problem during your stay as we did not have any guests who had arrived by coach staying at the hotel during your stay. I understand that the only reason you discovered that we took coach groups here is because the owner of the hotel was very courteous to you, having a lengthy conversation in the bar with you the evening of your stay. It seems his courteous conversation was not welcomed as your comments suggest.

Apologies again for the fact that you did not enjoy your stay with us, however, I do wish you had informed us of these comments during your stay.

Kind Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#2 of 52 in Shanklin
The Wight
The Wight
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Bourne Hall Country Hotel? Share your experiences!