“Nice room, shame about the bathroom”

Bourne Hall Country Hotel
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Tenbury Wells, United Kingdom
“Nice room, shame about the bathroom”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here as a last minute booking. The location was great, and although the decoration of the hotel would not be to everybody's taste, it was OK if a little tired. We paid extra for a sea-view and it was a great view from the room. The room was comfortable and well organised. But oh my, the bathroom.

As is the fashion these days, the staff had left the towels on the bed, unfortunately this reinforced the feeling that the bathroom was a public changing room, there was nothing in the bathroom apart from some tiny sachets of shampoo and soap.

The toilet rolls were locked in the kind of dispenser you find in a public loo, and it all gave the impression that the management did not trust their guests - which I'm sure is not true.

Having the towels, which were good, in the bathroom, and some decent smellies and an ordinary loo roll holder would make the whole bathroom feel a whole lot better.

Staff were helpful when you could find them.

Room Tip: Sea view are worth the extra.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
bournehallhoteliow, General Manager at Bourne Hall Country Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the view from your room and also the location of the hotel.

I apologise if you found the bathroom to be uninviting due to our towel placement and loo roll dispenser. We find that by placing the towels on the beds they make our rooms look smart and elegant when the towels are nicely folded for our guests arrival. The reason as to our choice of loo roll dispensers is to keep the loo rolls away neat and tidy. It is by no means because we do not trust our guests, we merely think that having loo rolls open to exposure of moisture and damp from showers and baths is not nice when staying in a hotel and we like to try our utmost to assist our guests in enjoying their stay to the full.

Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This fine Victorian Country House is now a very comfortable hotel, where the warm and friendly staff attend to your every need and any queries are dealt with immediately.
My friend and I came on a five day coach holiday on a half board basis. At breakfast you are spoilt for choice by the variety of appetising food on offer. The evening menu is a choice of three for each course including vegetarian. All food is of good quality, well cooked and presented, tasty and served hot.
The rooms are comfortable and spacious but there is no lift.
The hotel is situated up a fairly steep hill with spectacular sea views towards Sandown. Anyone with walking difficulties would need a taxi down into Shanklin. For walkers, you are right on the coastal path; turn right and walk up the road to the terminus, where you will see the path through woodland which will take you to Ventnor. I can't wait to go back because I didn't get the opportunity to do this walk.
We only had entertainment for one night, so walked down to the old village where there are three good pubs to visit. Walk down the hill, continue through two bollards, cross Shanklin Chine and continue up to Old Shanklin with its beautiful thatched buildings. This is about a twenty minute walk.
Nature lovers, keep your eyes open for those delightful Red Squirrels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marilyn P
bournehallhoteliow, General Manager at Bourne Hall Country Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review you have kindly taken the time to leave.

I am glad to hear that you found all aspects of your holiday very enjoyable. I am also happy to hear that you saw some of the lovely red squirrels that are found on the Island. It is lovely when our guests comment upon seeing them. A few can be spotted in our grounds as they seek residence in the many trees we have.

I hope you will come back to the hotel in the near future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The hotel is situated a little way out from Shanklin Old Village and is up the hill - so be warned if you're not prepared to do the pull up via walking...it's not that bad, however.
There is off-street parking which is a REAL bonus given the ubiquitous double yellow lines on the IOW and the breakfasts were very good indeed; beds were comfortable and the staff all very pleasant.
We visited a few days before the May Bank Holiday Weekend and would have expected everything at the Hotel geared up and ready for the impending season but the place had a real air of "tiredness" that surprised us eg the indoor swimming pool/gym/sauna area was "scruffy" and, putting aside the treatment activity which has to happen, the outdoor pool area seemed scruffy to.
The grounds, too, had a air of not being cared for which was a shame given what their potential could have been.
We paid over £75 per room for B&B which was, allegedly/according to Bookingsdotcom, pretty well half the rack rate price and we felt it a little bit pricy at the price we paid so who would pay c.£150/night we really don't know; perhaps we stayed here on an off day?
....we'll never know!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I am pleased to hear you found our staff very pleasant and the beds comfortable to sleep in. I am also glad to hear that you found our breakfasts very good and I will pass your comments to the chef, who I am sure will be delighted.

I am sorry to hear that you found the outdoor pool area did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately, the outdoor pool was in the process of being recommissioned ready for the season during your stay, therefore, the pool was closed and the area was in the process of being repainted with new sun loungers etc making their way down to the area. We are hoping for this work to be completed this weekend ready for the beginning of June and hopefully the start of the summer weather to enable our guests to use and make the most of the facility.

In addition, our gardener is also in the process of getting the grounds ready for the season. Unfortunately, due to the horrible and somewhat 'unspring like' weather we have had over the last couple of weeks our timescale has been set back slightly.

I hope you had a safe journey home.

Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have stayed in Shanklin on a regular basis over the past 30 years. I can only say that this hotel exceeeded my expectations. It was quite apparent that it had had a recent overhaul and was in super condition throughout. The extensive continental and full English breakfast was second to none. Situated in a superior location with wonderful views over the coastline with indoor and outdoor pools, jacuzzi and fitness centre. You cannot fail to have a great holiday here.

Room Tip: Try and go for a sea view if at all possible
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review you have left.

I am very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be in super condition throughout. It is our aim to try and keep the hotels' Victorian charm.

I hope you had a safe journey home.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

During the Easter bank holiday my boyfriend and I decided to book a last minute trip to the Isle of Wight. I contacted the hotel directly to book our reservation and the reservations team kindly offered the Lady Osborne Suite for our 2 night stay. The hotel also helped us to book our ferry crossing from England. During our stay we were very impressed by the high level of service we received from everyone who works at this hotel. The staff were professional, friendly, courteous and welcoming at all times. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit Isle of Wight in the future. The Bourne Hall is a great hotel situated in a great location....thank you so much Carol, to you, and, your team for making our stay enjoyable and relaxing...we will be back soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Starfish0072014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review.

I am very glad to hear that you found our staff professional, courteous and friendly. They, in turn, very much enjoyed serving you during your stay.

I and all the staff look forward to seeing you soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel with my 9 year old son last week. Not only did we have a great time but my son was treated really well. At dinner he wasn't keen on the main courses and a special meal was individually prepared for him. The room was great, clean and had a food sea view. The indoor pollo was clean, warm and great fun.

Whenever we are away my son always brings his "teddy" with him, it's a small elephant he has had from birth, disaster!!! We left it in the room, but thanks to Emma and the staff teddy was sent back to us via recorded delivery and there was great email and phone communication.

I recommend this hotel wholeheartedly and will de finally be back soon.

David and Johnny Williams

Room Tip: Room 6 is great
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review.

We were all very happy to look after 'teddy' during his extended holiday and fortunate for him the sun was out the majority of the time so I am sure he returned very relaxed!

I look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Booked this hotel up based on trip advisors reviews and location/price.
Not disappointed - great hotel, great location, good room which was upgraded on arrival
Room was lovely with a good view - the only issue I could mention was that there wasn't enough plug sockets in the room
Staff are very friendly and local to where we actually live - a small world as they say!
Breakfast was ok, plenty of tea and toast - but you can taste that the hotel uses the cheaper brands of sausage, beans etc
Car park is also very good with plenty of room
Walked down to old Shaklin one day - coming back was a bit of a trek as it's on a very steep hill
Overall a lovely hotel which I would go back to
Many thanks

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely response.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Unfortunately, as the building is such a old building we do have a few 'random' plug sockets in places you would often think ' why is that there?' however, thank you for making us aware and we are looking into how to rectify this.

I hope you had a lovely and safe trip home and look forward to seeing you again.

Kind Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#2 of 52 in Shanklin
Rylstone Manor Hotel
Rylstone Manor Hotel
#15 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Bourne Hall Country Hotel? Share your experiences!