“Confused Hotel”

Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
London, United Kingdom
“Confused Hotel”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked us a premier room at this hotel for £125 per night for 4 nights. Not cheap but looked lovely in the photos and the indoor pool was a big pull - the packages for beauty therapies gave me the idea that the hotel was a spa type establishment. This is not the case. The hotel is a bed and breakfast - and is overpriced for what you actually get.

Our room was nice - 4 poster bed, basic bathroom - could have been better - shower was neither powerful nor operating at a consistent temperature. Bath was too small for either of us to relax in and generally could have been a better standard.

If I am paying this sort of price for a room I expect it to be perfect - fresh towels every day, a tv that is big enough to watch, a plug socket somewhere in the vicinity of the kettle. The trays for tea and coffee in the room were plastic, robes and slippers available at an additional charge (this should be included in a premier room). If I had paid £60 - £80 per night I would have been happy with this but the cost is just too much.

The pool area needs massively updating. The carpet around the pool is old fashioned, the pool itself is a good size but the owners have hung some curtains around to give it a spa feel but the expense has been spared. We only used the pool once. The gym area is the same with a few pieces of equipment - all of them outdated. This should never be referred to as a 'health suite'.

The breakfast was ok. Tinned mushrooms, frozen sausages - things which should be given more attention and thought. There is a buffet area with cereals, fruit and tea and coffee. In my mind the staff should bring you drinks when you sit down - there is just not enough attention paid to giving a good service.

The bar area also is pretty poor with a limited selection of drinks and the owner/receptionist/waitress offering the bar service.

There are some good things about this hotel. The staff are very friendly and genuinely nice people, the location is great with fantastic views, lots of parking, the room size was good with lots of storage. The B&B is nice but I just think it is overpriced. And if you are going to charge £500 for a long weekend break, the little touches like real china, nice TVs, dressing gowns, an amazing breakfast and fresh towels every day should be included.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nikki P
bournehallhoteliow, General Manager at Bourne Hall Country Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

Firstly, I am sorry to hear that overall you found the hotel to be overpriced but I must start my response in stating that nowhere do we class ourselves as a 'Spa' hotel. We definitely are not this and do not by any means proclaim to be this. We are a small Victorian Country House Hotel that offers the use of 2 pools, jacuzzi, sauna and mini gym. We also offer beauty therapies to our guests as an additional option. If you have made the assumption that we are a spa hotel, then I apologise, however please bear in mind this was your assumption and not something we have stated or claimed to be. I must also point out that we call our gym a 'mini' gym as there are simply a few select pieces of equipment there for our guests to use should they wish we do not claim for it to be a large gym facility akin to the type you would find at your local leisure centre.

I note your comments regarding breakfast, however must again point out that your comments are in fact untrue as our chef uses fresh button mushrooms in all of our cooked breakfast and all breakfasts are freshly cooked to order, hence why we offer the buffet service for guests to choose a selection from this whilst waiting for their cooked breakfast. Apologies, if you found this service not to your liking, however I must point out our reasoning. Almost all of our guests comment to me upon departure as to how much they have thoroughly enjoyed their breakfast throughout their stay and that they love the range of options we offer and the quality of the breakfast provided, particularly the cooked breakfast.

Overall, I am glad you found our staff to be courteous and friendly and I take note of your comments.

Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this fairly last minute and were happy with choice. Got a phone call almost straight away to confirm. Staff very attentive and rooms well set out and comfortable. Delicious breakfast freshly prepared with a varied choice.
Only criticism was corridors had several spiders and webs. Rooms didn't though.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review.

I am very pleased to hear that your overall experience at Bourne Hall was enjoyable.

With reference to your comment made regarding spiders and webs, this has been addressed to the housekeepers who have assured me they shall monitor this.

Many thanks and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2014

A pretty setting but uncomfortable outdoor patio seating. No dinner service unless a special request is made which was confusing as I saw a dinner menu on one website. Room was hot and only a small window for ventilation - requested that the blankets were left off the bed due to heat, but 2 put on every night. Tired furnishings in public areas. Staff were mainly helpful and pleasant. Was expecting a little more.

Room Tip: A seaview in the front have larger windows and less of a walk to room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
bournehallhoteliow, General Manager at Bourne Hall Country Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your response.

I apologise if you found your overall stay experience with us 'disappointing', however I would like to address a couple of your comments.

I apologise if you found our outdoor furniture uncomfortable. The iron seating we have selected we found suited the theme of the hotel and made the terrace look elegant. I admit it is not the sort of seating you may want to sit on for a long afternoon, however there is a large amount of extremely comfortable seating in our drawing room namely chesterfield settees which benefit from the view over the bay should you wish to find something more relaxing to enjoy an afternoon sat in.

With reference to dinner service, I find your accusation to be slightly contrary to the truth. We offer dinner Monday- Saturday and we merely ask that guests inform us as soon as possible as to whether they would like to dine. We generally request this before 5pm. I explained to you during your stay that we have 2 menus that run along side each other throughout the year. During the summer our Bistro Menu is in operation with nightly specials varying and off peak season our 3 course table d'hote menu is available on selected days. It was stated clearly in your confirmation upon booking that the Cameron Restaurant is open on selected days only and should you wish to dine to please contact the hotel and inform us. Upon informing your family of this your brother was immediately apologetic and even proceeded to inform me that he gets irritated with his own clients in his line of work who do not read their confirmations. All I can do is apologise if you found our dinner facilities to not suit your individual needs. The minute I found out that you had made comments in front of other guests regarding the menu, I aproached your family in the hope of rectifying any issues and seeing if there was anything I could do to assist. You responded in saying "Not to worry as we enjoy a moan!" This I assume was in jest. If it wasn't, and I got the wrong impression, I apologise if I didn't do enough to try and assist with any issues.

I apologise if you requested the blankets to be withdrawn from your bed. Housekeeping generally leave the bed sheets to enable guests to add or remove layers dependent on their individual needs during the night, however if you specifically asked for these to be removed they should have been and I apologise if this request was not actioned.

Upon check out I did ask your brother and mother if they enjoyed their stay and they agreed they had, admittedly I did not manage to see you before you departed, however from their response I assumed the stay was enjoyable.

Thank you again for your response.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 July 2014

spent 3 days here , could not sleep due to the heat , left windows open and i am now covered in insect bites. left feeling exhausted with lack of sleep when i told reception they told me it was a victorian house as if that made it ok , at £441 for 3 days i expected more , seemed not to be interested as i don't believe they get much repeat custom , breakfast was poor tasteless frozen fish.

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank William W
bournehallhoteliow, General Manager at Bourne Hall Country Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I apologise if the heat during your stay was an issue. We do provide fans in all of our rooms and should you have asked during your stay as opposed to at checkout we would have endeavored to assist with providing either additional fans or an air conditioning unit for use to cool down your room.

I can confirm that we do not have permanent air conditioning facilities in our rooms due to a couple of factors. Firstly, we are a Victorian Country House Hotel meaning the hotel is an old Victorian Country House built in the late 1860's for Queen Victoria's Lady in Waiting, therefore, it would not be easy installing such systems to the walls of every room as the building is not built to facilitate this. The copper piping and wiring is not something that is easy to install into a Victorian building and also does not have the appearance we would like in a Victorian Country House Hotel.

Furthermore, the substantial costs involved for use perhaps 2 weeks per year would not be practical- the great British weather has this to answer for!!

I hope the above explains why we do not have permanent air conditioning units in the hotel and why fans and portable air conditioners would of course be provided by a member of our always courteous staff if guests would simply ask.

I would also like to add that your sweeping statement with reference to our repeat custom is by no means true as we have quite a number of repeat custom, some of which have been staying with us for over 40 years and still continue to stay with us on a yearly basis.

I apologise if you found the haddock at breakfast 'tasteless frozen fish' should you have not enjoyed this you could have enjoyed some other food from our menu, such as a full freshly cooked traditional English breakfast.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My wife was working on the island on a Friday so we decided to make a weekend go it. Accommodation was limited but we got a room at the Bourne Hall. It's a lovely old building up one of the many hills on the Isle of Wight and has been added to and refurbished.
A family-run establishment the welcome is friendly, efficient and informative. The decor reflects the Victorian origins of the building and it's all very comfortable with large lounge spaces, a pleasant bar and magnificent views of the countryside and the English Channel.
Our room was ok. It wasn't huge but equally it wasn't restrictive. We had a bath and shower which was perfect for us. The toilet was broken when we arrived but fixed immediately we mentioned it with no fuss and plenty of apologies.
We didn't have dinner at the hotel but the breakfast was fine. Having been told the chef doesn't do breakfast after 9.30am we were a little put out as part of the pleasure of staying at a hotel is a lie in but we'll gloss over that. The cooked to order breakfast was tasty, fresh and hot and a lovely start to the day.
Mrs Dodger used to live on the island and knows some good walks. So we had a very pleasant seaside, cliff top and under cliff walk to Ventnor. A super lunch was followed by a bus journey back and the fact that our bus stop was just round the corner from the hotel made the walk backup the hill much easier.
We were spurred on by the tempting prospect on a hot day of the outside swimming pool the hotel has. The sun was still on the water as we tentatively dipped a toe before plunging in and thoroughly enjoying a cooling and refreshing end to the day before dinner.
Bourne Hall is a lovely place to stay as a base for a short break on the Isle of Wight or, as we did, a weekend away. It doesn't come particularly cheap at £124 a night for the room we had. But the facilities, standard of service and location go a long way to making it a worthwhile place to visit.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DodgerW3
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the only slightly disappointing aspect was our breakfast times.

We generally place breakfast between these times as the majority of guests like to leave the hotel relatively early to make the most of what the island has to offer during the day. I completely understand that these times may not suit all, however, thank you for your comment and I have noted this.

We are a family run establishment and pride ourselves on ensuring all guests feel most welcome and comfortable during their stay, therefore, I am very happy that you found our aims to have been achieved.

I am very pleased we managed to assist in making your holiday to the Isle of Wight enjoyable and I hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Absolutely fantastic hotel! We phoned the week before when our honeymoon hotel let us down and the wonderful staff sorted us a fabulous deal in one of their wonderful presidential suits. Staff were fab, facilities were so relaxing and it was central but quiet. If you are looking for a posh but reasonable prices honeymoon then go here!!! Can't thank you all enough :)

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kitkatherschell
bournehallhoteliow, General Manager at Bourne Hall Country Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review.

Myself and the staff are so happy we managed to help in making your honey moon so enjoyable and memorable!

We hope to see you again soon!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here for a week on a coach holiday. The staff were very welcoming and really worked hard to ensure our requirements were met and that we had an enjoyable stay. Prior to booking we were a little perturbed about the location of the hotel as it is on a hill and while providing gorgeous views over the bay we were concerned about the walk back up the hill. in reality there is a bus stop within a 10 minute walk (buses every half hour) and the walk from the bus stop to the hotel whilst uphill is not onerous. We did pay extra for a premier room (Room 4) with a four poster bed and a great sea view but it was worth it. My wife enjoyed using the indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi several times during the week.

The food at both breakfast and dinner was excellent. If you wanted a cooked breakfast this was was freshly cooked to order my wife especially liked the smoked haddock and poach egg. Although we had to order from the dinner menu at breakfast nothing was too much trouble, they even took account of my dislike of a certain french cheese.

The free wi-fi was the best of any hotel we have stayed at, easy secure connection, fast connection speed and no drop out.

The lounge and bar were very comfortable with a range of chairs and settees. The bar was well stocked serving a range of bottled beers including several from a local brewery. The bar prices were reasonable when compared to the local pubs.

A very enjoyable relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Room 4 is situated at the front of the hotel with great views from the bay windows..
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. It really makes a difference to me and the staff to know that our guests have really enjoyed their stay at Bourne Hall.

Although our location enables us to benefit from wonderful views over Sandown and Shanklin Bay, we understand that the hill is a bit of a hike for some, our staff are most happy and willing to assist our guests with booking taxis or recommending the nearest and quickest bus routes- I am glad you were able to make the most of these during your stay!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed our breakfast and all of your lovely comments shall be passed on to our chef!

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review and I hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#2 of 52 in Shanklin
Rylstone Manor Hotel
Rylstone Manor Hotel
#15 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Bourne Hall Country Hotel? Share your experiences!