“The most rude hotel manager I have ever met”

and 1 more site!
Bourne Hall Country Hotel
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Holidaying with my parents, we happened across this lovely-looking hotel and, as I wanted to treat my father to a special Father's Day meal, I booked the restaurant (which looked lovely) in advance.
Firstly, we were left sticky, dirty menus. After 10 minutes, someone appeared behind the bar. I queued up to order a bottle of wine but was not given the opportunity to ask for a tomato juice too. The wine was dumped unceremoniously on our table with 2 dirty wine glasses. By the time we all had drinks, we had been in the bar for 25 minutes.
With a menu priced at £30 a head, one might expect better service, clean glasses and not to have a gooey mess smeared on the front of the menu.

We decided reluctantly to leave and I asked to see the manager to pass on my observations to him. I was astonished when a scruffily dressed man with a huge gold chain round his neck wearing shorts and dirty flip flops appeared - apparently this was the manager.
His attitude was entirely defensive from the start, failing to adress the issues I raised and majoring on what a great chef he has in the restaurant. It was a shame we didn't get as far as eating there, as this may well be true. He said his attire was because he'd been cleaning the pool, but in my experience it takes a maximum of 2 minutes to put on clean shoes and long trousers to greet your guests. It's about respect for your clients.

When we were getting into the car, the manager came out and shouted something I couldn't catch. I walked back as I hadn't caught what he was saying and, incredibly, he shouted "Your car's on credit and you haven't finished paying it off". This made no sense to me, so I asked him what he was saying. He shouted again "YOUR CAR IS ON CREDIT AND YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED PAYING IT OFF".
I think this was meant to be an insult though never having had anything on credit in our lives, we were rather at a loss to comprehend.

We left, angry and very disappointed, without our dinner.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Dilberta

Reviewed 30 May 2009

A great 4 night stay with a group about 30 strong. Fit and experienced people - know good value when we see it. Friendly, helpful and efficient management and staff. Great chefs and food. Pity about the muzak in the restaurant - evne at breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 4 May 2009

My partner and our 2 friends had booked another hotel in the centre of Shanklin for a birthday weekend. When we booked into this hotel we were absolutely shocked and disapointed by its shabbiness and complete lack of value for money. We had 2 options: Try and book another hotel or return home. After vsisting the Tourist Centre we were given a list of available hotels. We called Bourne Hall and was kindly offered there last 2 rooms, we were told we could see the rooms first to check that we liked them before confirming the booking. Bourne Hall was just a short walk from the Centre and the grounds and the approach to the Hotel is lovely. We were met by a very friendly receptionist who was only too pleased to help and save our weekend. My partner and I were offered a stunning room at the front of the Hotel. The room had a beautiful and VERY comfortable four poster bed with stunning views overlooking Shanklin Bay. Our friends were given the last room in the Hotel which was a very clean twin room situated in a very quiet area of the Hotel. We all visited the Spa and found this to be lovely. Contrary to other reports the sauna and jacuzzi worked absolutely fine. My partner turned the sauna on to warm up whilst we relaxed in the pool. Any person with half a brain would know to do this! The toilet and shower were spotlessly clean and in full working order and did not look like they had been installed yesterday! In fact the Hotel rules relating to wearing crocs in the spa area just clarifies their attitude towards keeping the spa clean. We had drinks in the lounge area before going out to our pre-booked restaurant. The lounge areas are beautifully decorated in deep reds and furnished with comfortable chesterfield sofas and chairs.
When we returned we all had a great nights sleep and our full english breakfast in the morning was searved to us by very friendly and attentive staff. Overall we found Bourne Hall to be a great hotel. We are quite fussy and we do expect good value for money. With Bourne hall you get this and more. It is a very good Hotel with beautiful rooms, attentive friendly staff, great facilities and wonderful food.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank tag0075
Reviewed 24 April 2009

All aspects of our stay here were good.We were given a tour of the hotel on our arrival which even included a voluntary visit to the kitchens(excellent!).
Although the hotel wasn't very busy,the attention to detail and genuine attempts to look after our needs was impressive.
Our experience with all aspects of the restaurant were good.
We found it hard to believe some of the other reviews as the new owners are dedicated to achieving the highest standards.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 April 2009

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2009

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
Eastmount Hall Hotel
Eastmount Hall Hotel
#13 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Bourne Hall Country Hotel? Share your experiences!