When we arrived we realised that the 'photo' generally used to publicise Bourne Hall Country Hotel in Shanklin online was in fact a (rather flattering) painting.
We found the hotel dated and in need of refurbishment. Our room was old fashioned, dark and more like a b&b. Although promised a 'garden view' the view from our room was of a slate roof - nothing more. The bathroom was old and pretty grotty with the bath panel coming away, fittings and grouting old and dirty.
Whilst some of the staff there were really friendly, the reception we got on arrival was gruff.
The main areas of the hotel again were old fashioned and smelt musty and of air freshener which was off putting. The restaurant where we ate breakfast was dark, chinzy and the views were only seen through a couple of windows.
The promotional blurb mentioned 3 acres of gardens, but we discovered these were mainly untended srcubland, or used for out buildings. Although there was an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, the facilties around them again felt not very well looked after and we didn't fancy using them.
The location was good for walking into Shanklin Old Town though. It was very peaceful too. The older residents in the hotel seemed to like it there. We just felt disappointed that the hotel itself didn't live up to the way it's marketed, and we didn't find it was a place we could really relax and unwind.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bourne Hall, an elegant Country House, Hotel and restaurant, set in mature grounds in Shanklin, Isle of Wight. Originally built in the late 1860’s, said to be for one of Queen Victoria’s ladies in waiting, the "house" still retains its sense of history whilst providing comfortable accommodation enhanced by its original Victorian features. Uniquely located on an elevated position at the foot of Luccombe Downs, benefits both countryside and coastal Vistas. The Hotel enjoys exquisite views, by day and night, across Sandown and Shanklin Bay, and onwards to Culver Downs. Situated minutes walk south of Shanklin "old village," this 30 bedroom, 3 star hotel offers a range of classic and premier rooms, family rooms and suites, comprehensive leisure & health facilities, and a stylish restaurant. Bourne Hall provides the ideal setting for weekend special breaks or longer stays, private functions, weddings and business meetings/conferences. We take pride in our friendliness and attention to detail and always endeavour to make your experience comfortable and most enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Bourne Hall Country Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bourne Hall Country Hotel And Restaurant
- Bourne Hall Country Shanklin
- Bourne Hall Country Hotel Shanklin, Isle Of Wight