“Best hotel on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gracellie Hotel

Gracellie Hotel
Ranked #33 of 52 Shanklin B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Best hotel on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

I am a regular traveller (usually for business) to the isle, and have stayed at various hotels throughout the whole island, but The Gracellie Hotel is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Hazel, Dan, and Fiona are great hosts, the rooms are of a superb quality both in decor, cleanliness, and comfort. I read through the reviews prior to inputting my own and could only relate to the highly positive ones. I suspect the negative ones came from the elderly/disabled as there aren't any lifts, but maybe they should have done more research. As an able-bodied person who loves to run, surf and swim, eat, drink a beer and play pool and be entertained, I guarantee this to be the best hotel you can find. It is dog friendly and Vince is a marvellous mascot. Loved the hotel so much, I refuse to stay anywhere else on the Isle of Wight!

Room Tip: No lifts for disabled, but plenty of ground floor accommodation I believe.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank 379buffy
Phil W, Owner at Gracellie Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for our best review!
I think (you don't say) that you are Berlinda?
In any case you will always be welcome here. Thank you so much from all the staff. we will work hard to improve too, so that we can get 6 stars if they ever become an option!.
Please introduce yourself on the next trip, there will be a bucket of chilled wine ready for you....

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Bridport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

The hotel delivered everything it was supposed to, ie. Bed,breakfast, bath/shower, bar facilities that said it was the end of the season and we appeared to be the only guests staying in what probibly is a lively summer hotel, consequently there was little or no atmosphere with the reception all but closed, dining room closed for evening meal option and an overall stark appearance throughout the hotel.
There was a private Halloween Party in the bar on Saturday night which you had to endure if you wanted to use the facility.
It may be an idea for the hotel management to take their dog for a walk in the morning rarther than allow it to complete its ablutions on the terrace immediately outside the restaurant in full view of those enjoying their beakfast!!!! When told the receptionist/waitress seemed unconcerned.
We decided to leave after the first night of a five night booking
Why your fault in the title? You should never have taken the booking and we should have forcast a summer hotel would not be geared for a winter break. Perhaps if we ever return we will try in the summer months.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank johnluketilley
Phil W, Guest Relations Manager at Gracellie Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
So sorry you were not 100% satisfied with your experience. We will take your comments on board and try and improve our service as we intend to improve year on year and even week by week. Hope to see you again soon and please let us know how you think we are doing. Your genuine concerns are of the utmost importance to us. Take care ... Phil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

Picked this hotel based on TA reviews and was not disappointed. Room was nice with lovely views of the sea. Bed was without a doubt the best I have ever slept in! Was difficult to get out for breakfast but was very happy I did. Food was delicious, good quality and plentiful. Staff couldn't do enough for u and were very friendly and welcoming. Wouldn't hesitate in returning!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Lilymaca
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Didn't have a booking but liked the look of this hotel online, which was in a superb location and not far from the station, and decided to take a chance.

Slightly annoying at first as I waited in the reception area for 10 minutes or so without anyone there, so left and actually phoned the hotel several times without response. I liked the look of the hotel so I tried later and booked in with a very friendly young lady, who was also extremely nice and genuinely welcoming when I arrived in person, which more than made up for me having to come back.

The (single) room was contemporary and felt very homely. Everything was immaculate - sheets, walls, bathroom, carpet - very good quality and also very peaceful. The bed was also very comfortable and I slept very well indeed. Only small niggles were that the TV was of the old fashioned portable style and the sound took quite a lot of fiddling to come on. Having some "do not disturb" signs would also help matters.

I didn't spend a lot of time at the Gracellie but the staff were all very kind and friendly. When I left the hotel, the gentleman was quick to offer a handshake and was also polite and professional.

Overall, it was very good and I would recommend it. It was my first time visiting the island and I felt very welcome indeed - they clearly genuinely care about what they do and the people who stay there and, apart from a few minor niggles, it was difficult to fault. I didn't eat there so this rating doesn't take that into consideration.

At £45 a night for a single (room only) in September, I very much doubt you could find better value and I would certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms quieter towards the rear, sea views would be spectacular from this location
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Dunmall
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Booked through red funnel. Rooms beautiful and the power shower amazing. The food was lovely my only gripe was no lift. Everything else, staff and furnishings first class. I will definitelly return.I think that the fruit for breakfast was a lovely touch

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Carmella P
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

we booked in to the gracellie hotel for just one night as we had gone over to the isle of wight a day earlier than our holiday had been planned so our apartment wasnt ready for us ,we were made to feel very welcomeon arrival and the staff were so friendly and helpfull, our room was clean with a lovely view. we had breakfast at the hotel in the morning the lady who served us was adorable and made us feel as if we were the only people she had to look after that morning when in fact she had a dinning room full of people to attend to but nothing was to much trouble for her and my scrambeled egg was the best ive ever tasted .we will look forward to staying with them again in the very near future thankyou for taking such good care of us from Mr and Mrs Barton From Essex

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tracey B
Phil W, Owner at Gracellie Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Tracey thank you for taking the time to write your review. We will always do our best and the standards will improve not drop I promise you! Kind regards from Phil, Jon and the team
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

We were on the recent Alfa coach trip to the Gracellie Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.All our meals comprised good quality food,well cooked and nicely presented.The pool was cleaned every day and kept at a perfect temperature.The staff were helpful and friendly and the whole atmosphere was very informal.Perhaps some people want champagne with only beer money to spend!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Patricia B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Burlington Hotel
#12 of 31 in Sandown
The Channel View Hotel
The Channel View Hotel
#4 of 54 in Shanklin

Been to Gracellie Hotel? Share your experiences!