Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
US$139
Hotels.com
US$209
US$193
The Channel View Hotel(Shanklin)
US$147
US$143
The Fernbank(Shanklin)
All reviewsbit datedold villagelovely hotelfour poster bedtea and coffeeshanklin chineshort breakfull english breakfastseafront
Reviewed 15 May 2011

The hotel was great we checked in early are room was ready. The staff were very good and really friendly made you feel at home. Food was 5 star very quick service hot and plenty of it . The room was great everthing we needed was there swimming pool was nice and hot sauna and jaccuzi were great to.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shelleynchrisnpt
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Great stay, my hubby and I found this place via a hotel bookings website. Based on the tripadvisor reviews we weren't too sure what to think but I'd say if you want above-par accommodation (the wallpaper and linens were a little Laura Ashley and 80s, but I didn't mind). Complementary hot breakfast was great for us!

really enjoyed the great outdoors and the fabulous hikes the Isle of Wight has to offer. Just wished I'd brought my wellies!!

Room Tip: Convenient, sea views, affordable
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank canadianna83
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Went here for long weekend with my partner and was apprehensive as to what to expect after reading some of the reviews on here. I was however, pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is old fashioned in places, but felt the place had character not found in more modern chain hotels. Staff were friendly, helpful and although there were only a few people staying in the hotel that weekend, they were quite happy to keep the bar open for us after we came back after a night out in the village. Can't comment on the evening meals, but breakfast was good with plentiful top ups of toast! Our room was a little on the small side, but it was comfortable, warm, with a good clean toilet and shower with plenty of hot water and a fairly nice sea view. The only disappointment was the pool was pretty much unusable due to being freezing cold! We are going back in August with my partner'd children.

Room Tip: Very close to Shanklin village and the beach
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lyn G
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Just returned from a 4 day break at this hotel on a coach trip. What a nice surprise to find such a pleasant hotel, ok so it is a bit old fashioned in parts but our room was clean and came with everything we needed. The bathroom was small but newly renovated and the water was very hot and plentiful. I asked for new pillows after the first night as they were a bit musty but they were replaced immediately. The food is good and plenty of it and the staff are really friendly and efficient. The position is great with easy access to the old village and beach front. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank h0lidaze
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Myself and my partner were very excited about getting away for a couple of days to unwind on the Isle of Wight. We thought we had booked a nice hotel with a pool and sauna that we could use and of course a nice bed to sleep in. How wrong we were! We were fobbed off both the days we were there with a story that engineers were trying to fix the pool heater so we couldn't use the pool and that if we wanted to use the sauna, we had to book in 2 hours in advance so that they could turn it on! As it turns out, we did not see any pool engineers and locals suggested to us that the real reason the pool was cold is because they only turn it on for peak season. Why don't they put that on the website.

As for the room, the matress was horrible! Everytime I moved my wife woke up and visa versa as the matress was horribly springy, unsupportive and seemed 20 years old. When I tried to use the wardrobe, I opened the door and the full length mirror fell off the end smashing into peices all over our clothes. Imagine if we had a child in the room!?

All in all not a nice stay for us, we were glad to get home...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple