“Very dog friendly!”

Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I was going to put average for the rating but gave it very good for one simple reason - they are very dog friendly - even if it is not mentioned on the website/in the hotel blurb or anywhere else.

We took a last minute decision to bring along our dog who'd been a bit poorly and I phoned to ask if they allowed dogs (yes) if I needed to be in a particular room (no) if I needed to give them forewarning (no) and if it cost any extra (no)..............in this day and age, this is quite unusual!

The rest was pretty average - the room we were in (room 15) looked along the side of the hotel towards the sea and it was a reasonable size (it had a double and single bed in it) but the décor was pretty dated with plenty of storage space, but a dressing table (who even has a dressing table nowadays?) across the window which was most likely to have a view - and you ended up in bed, staring at yourself in the mirror - which in my case isn't ideal!

On the plus side the bathroom looked like it had a refresh recently.

Whilst other reviews have said the breakfast was good - I'm afraid we've stayed in the Havelock next door - and breakfast is so much better there!

Room Tip: Room 10 (which one of my friends were in) is a bay fronted room looking over the front
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Visited Isle of Wight to get over post-holiday blues and boy did I blow them away. Right from the start the staff were gracious and extremely helpful answering all my questions even to the point of showing me how to use my computer. The hotel was busy with two coach trips of pensioners partying to Buddy Holly but still nothing was too much trouble. The room was clean and adequately sized, the bed very comfortable and the shower powerful. The pool was beautiful and the sauna and jaccuzzi looked tempting too. Around Shanklin the pub walk I took was a joy and luckily the local bus service was regular! All in all a smashing stay. I recommend an early morning walk on the beach not far at all from the hotel.

Room Tip: choose any. I chose the cheapest and it was fine!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Hotel is clean even if the décor is a bit dated. The cooked breakfast was good and there is a good selection of cereals at the breakfast buffet. It is close to the beach and to Shanklin village. The hotel was very quiet even with several families there. The hotel has a pool and sauna and jacuzzi which are handy if the weather is bad.

Room Tip: Room 42 has a balcony and a view of the sea
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This was a pleasant hotel, nothing special, ok the staff were friendly but it is a tad dated, breakfast was minimal and didnt eat at night time in the dining room as there was nothing on the menu i wished to eat... Very basic menu. Only two power sockets, obviously our room wasnt modernised like the one's on the web site.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This was the first time we stayed here,my husband was the coach driver and we had a party of 40 people including myself and our two children aged 9 and 15 years.All staff were brilliant,friendly and helpful.Rooms were a little dated but ours was a family room and the boys room was quite modern with bunkbed and single with wardrobe,drawers,there was a tv with video and a selection of videos for the boys.Our room had a seaview,comfy bed and plenty of seating tv/dvd,the boys wished they had brought their dvd's along!!!The food was great,choice of three on starters,main and dessert every night,really nicely presented and well cooked and warm plates!!(I hate cold plates!)Breakfasts were delicious and really filled you up for the day!Nicely situated for the beach and town centre and Shanklin Old Village a 5 minute walk,The best bit was the swimming pool in the hotel which we all enjoyed 3 times,jacuzzi is £1 for 20 minutes and was lovely,pool was a little chilly for me but once swimming warmed up,the kids loved it,there is also a sauna,toilet and showers,there was entertainment a couple of nights,our coach party were very happy as were we as a family,in fact the hotel was probably the best part of our 5 day trip,well done guys at the melbourne ardenlea....we will visit again!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mel h
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Second time I've stayed here, nice hotel, very good service from friendly staff...BUT...the standard and quality of the eveing meals was poor, had deteriorated badly since I stayed there last year. Very disappointing. Apart from that everything elsse was fine. Such a shame, it would appear that cost cutting had taken place in the food department to an extent that spoilt things in the food dept.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 101LadyB
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Stayed for one night staff were lovely couldn't do enough for you, location was great two minutes from the beach and bars recommend to anyone. Pool was a little cold but during a heat wave was actually perfect you can get towels from reception at no extra cost, they have a Jacuzzi which is £1 but you get 20 minutes for that . Rooms are a bit dated however the hotel is old so not really an issue. Breakfast was included and was really really nice good choice cereals, fruit and cooked breakfast. The hotel was really clean and they let us check in early so we could get rid of our cases and go to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#11 of 51 in Shanklin
Victoria Lodge Hotel
Victoria Lodge Hotel
#32 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel? Share your experiences!