“Toast!!!”

Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Thankyou Melbourne Melly and Co.....We have stayed here twice now once as a coach tour in 2013,this year as a family of 4,great hotel,friendly warm home from home feel,it is dated but it is clean, our family room with seaview we have had 2 years running now,we love it,room is cleaned every day whilst you are out,ideally situated for all attractions,swimmimg pool is a hit and jacuzzi is so relaxing,we were a bit cheeky one morning and asked for more toast my god it didn't stop coming,the staff have a great sense of humour,we all felt emotional leaving so much so we are booking for a week....something people need to understand it is a family run hotel,they all work really hard..and to refurb you need people to come and stay to make money,we love it there,see you all in 2015!!!!

Room Tip: Just ring up and tell the guys what you would like it does get busy as they do coach tours,just book...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MellyH76

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Me and my partner headed over to the island a day earlier than originally planned and thus needed a hotel or B&B for one night, before checking into the cottage/chalet, which we had previously booked for the oncoming week.

On arrival, we were greeted by two lovely staff members, whom were very accommodating in checking the availability if an en-suite room for us.
The staff members were friendly and even showed us the two available rooms, that they had available.

On inspection the former room seemed more appealing than the latter, which did seem extremely hot. However this was accredited to the swimming pool beneath the room, which was Understandable.

The former room was costed at £75 with breakfast and the latter £80.00. We chose the former, which I would add I preferred the style and layout of the room.

We paid upfront and took our cases to our room. Our room was No: 9, and was a nice size without being too spacious. I immediately jumped into the shower to freshen up and wow what a lovely shower it was. I don't know much about showers, but I would say it was a power shower, encumbered within closing doors. I would however point to something my partner spotted, which was a touch of mold around the shower. The usual additions came within the bathroom such as two packets of soap, but nothing extreme. I would add however that the toilet roll seemed of good quality.

So for the room, we didn't have wonderful sea views and it wasn't luxurious but was adequate. It seemed dated to a degree and thus whether that is justified in the price, I'm not sure, probably not on hindsight

The bed (a double) was however extremely comfortable. I even afforded myself a little snooze, prior to us going out on the evening. There was however only one pillow on the bed, with further pillows in the wardrobe, but this is more a personal choice to me, so not a problem. A little thing I also noted was that there were two different coloured bulbs in the bed lights, one seemed duller at first, but not a deal breaker.

The tv was a flat screen with free view it seemed offering a good array of channels, however the signal on occasion seemed poor and would be something I'd expect to work faultlessly, unless we had horrendous storms.

The hotel is within a short walk of the old town and it's shops and access to Shanklin Chine. There are a variety of eateries also. After a good nights sleep, we went down to breakfast, to sample the delights.

There is a vast choice including cereals in huge bowls, fruit, a fruit type salad and fruit juice of Apple and Orange, though I'm not sure if this was concentrated or pure and this part was a self service style arrangement, including the option to have coffee and even a mocha.

The main breakfast had to be ordered. I chose scrambled egg on white toast and my partner the full English. We didn't have to wait too long to receive our food, however I was disappointed. Firstly my scrambled egg came on one piece of toast, which didn't seem the crispest. The crispness I wasn't overly fussed about, but one slice of toast seemed exceptionally minuscule. To add to this my breakfast didn't seem very hot after a few mouthfulls. I requested the food to be sent back and asked for another slice of toast. Now this was an error on my part I guess, because when my breakfast returned, I still had only one slice of toast. I wish I'd asked for two slices of toast with my eggs instead, so an understandable thing to happen. The eggs were hot this time, but not amazing in terms of enjoyability. A brighter note however is we were given toast, which we could decorate with honey and butter etc.

So overall, not a bad hotel, which we had stayed at before, but would I stay there again, possibly, possibly not. The staff were great, there's an indoor pool, Jacuzzi, but the room seemed tired and dated and just needs a slight lift. The room certainly wasn't bad and was extremely comfortable which is what a room primarily is important for, with a great shower. But maybe a slight decrease in price or an increase in the overall decor and food would justify the price band.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Collin W
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Having read the reviews I knew this hotel wasn't going to be great, but it really was quite bad! With the exception of the majority of staff who were friendly and helpful, the hotel itself was frightening! Our room number 47 was dirty with toenail clippings on the floor, and backed on to the swimming pool generator which at 6:00am was making such a racket that we couldn't sleep. The bathroom had a suite from the 1960's - olive green with no mixer taps that lead to scolding. The tv, although had a remote, wouldn't allow you to put the volume up and we had to get out of bed to turn it off! Breakfast required a high-chair for our two year old, and it was supplied filthy but with a serviette placed on top.

We checked out after one night! The hotel management did refund us, and were understanding, but there are plenty of other, cheaper hotels offering a considerably better experience located in the same area, so I would go for one of them!

I think that charging £100 per night for this hotel is tantamount to daylight robbery! I've paid much less for much better!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank throppy
Reviewed 5 August 2014

A dated blast from the past for this hotel. There is a certain charm to the retro stylings and golden oldies music entertainment which unfortunately kept us all awake, as we were in the rooms above the lounge. So be wary of this when travelling with young children. The rooms were boiling hot with no fans but the patio door on the balcony was a welcome blast of fresh air. There is the strong feeling that the hotel's main clientele is large tour coaches for the elderly.

Unfortunately, the rooms had not been hoovered (crisp crumbs etc), the drawer liners were smelly, stained and contained hair, and the bathroom, which was dark with no window, had a very dirty carpet. We were assured this was because the regular cleaner had been off. We didn't stay the second booked night and the hotel were very solicitous and did refund us the second night paid.

Like other guests who have commented, we also found the staff very friendly and helpful, so thank you to them.

The pool might have been a nice touch, and was a good size, but unfortunately was unusable as it was a hot July day and the basement where the pool was housed was utterly sweltering. No windows were openable and it was not breathable in there - what a shame. Luckily, the beautiful Isle of Wight beaches and a swim in the sea made up for it.

Room Tip: Rooms above the entrance way can access the lounge wifi, but you risk being kept awake by the entert...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

At 50% more cost than hotels rated 6th and 7th compared to its ranking of 30 plus, this hotel, although having an excellent pool and some great staff, simply is dreadful value for money when the room is cramped, the decor and furnishings outdated and cheap, more akin to a student digs than a quality hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Pikeman123
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband, myself and our dog decided on the Isle of Wight as it appeared to be one of the best places for the sunshine (July 16th onwards). I looked up dog friendly hotels on the Island and the Melbourne-Ardenlea was the first to appear. It read well and looked fine from the booking.com website so we threw caution to the wind and booked. On arrival the hotel looked ok if somewhat dated. Our check-in was fine, we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff and even though we were a little early our room was ready. We had a large double four poster room at the front of the hotel which was great. The Melbourne-Ardenlea was a super find, although the hotel is in need of serious updating the facilities on offer are great. It doesn't profess to be a boutique hotel, it is a very friendly hotel that offers superb value for money. We stayed for four days and would not hesitate to book this hotel again, what it lacks in state of the art decoration is more than made up by the very friendly members of staff - thank you.

Room Tip: Room 14 Large four poster front room with larger than average bathroom
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liz E
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The best hotel so close to the beach and old village it was the ideal location for me.the room was clean and i think has been updated abit breakfast was very good very quick my table was away from everybody so was a bit lonely i think next year i will ask to join the rest

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#11 of 51 in Shanklin
Victoria Lodge Hotel
Victoria Lodge Hotel
#32 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel? Share your experiences!