“a hotel not to be missed”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shanklin
The Swiss Cottage Shanklin
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 July 2014

had a fantastic week with christine an keith breakfast was fantastic set you up for day the room was lovely on the ground floor as i have problems walking they were so helpful when i booked our party of 6 Kieth did my husband a list of all the fishing lakes near by an was so helpful to sam we will be coming back next year an sam can do some fishing lovel hotel lovely people made to feel so welcome

Room Tip: ground floor room was lovely every thing you need from top of range bathroom products tea coffee mak...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
KeithBeckett, Owner at The Swiss Cottage Shanklin, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

To Sue & Sam in your Party of 6
Thank you making the week a fantastic and fun week and another great review.
Glad you liked Room 1 which does a a memory foam topper on top of the double mattress to raise the height of the bed, which you found very comfortable and to your liking.
We endeavour to put all the little extras and top range items in all the rooms, as we would expect if we were staying somewhere and thankyou for your kind comments on our Green Features to safeguard the enviroment.
Hopefully I may get some time off for good behaviour and go fishing with Sam next year, so its a win win situation!
Best Wishes to you all
Keith & Chris & Tansy

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Our Car Club stayed for a long weekend and the hotel was beautifully clean, we were made to feel welcome as soon as we entered the hotel and the food was really great, have travelled abroad and the standard of accommodation was as good as any 4 star hotel in France, Germany, or Italy that I have ever stayed at. The full English breakfast and the choice of breakfast was just as comparable. It is close to the Sea and the shops. Keith and Christine are very friendly and helpful and would stop and talk to us. It is like a lovely family run bed and breakfast but with the 4 star luxuries of a high standard hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was a twin bedded room on the side which was quite, had a lovely hallway when you opened th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Marian & Mick
Another 100% review from the Car Club.
Thank you also for those great words in comparing our luxuries and standards with other great 4 Star Hotels in Europe.
Even though you had a great choice of Breakfasts during your stay we also do an even better 3 Course Home Cooked Evening Meal Service as unlike many properties on the Island we are not just a B & B.
Also as we are only one of a handful of establishments to have just been Awarded our Trip Advisor Green Leaders Gold Award to which you are the first to comment on our Enviromental Policy (well done) as we aim to avoid harsh chemicals to safeguard the Earth and explain our towel and linen changes to all our guests.
Best Wishes

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend with a car club I belong too. I felt right at home upon arriving. Lovely rooms, with a great atmosphere. Great breakfasts In The morning. Rooms were always perfectly clean and very well maintained.
Christine and Keith were always happy to stop and talk and happy to give any recommendations about things to do or see.

Will definitely stay again when I go back to the island.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks Kirk for another 100% excellent review.
You and your friends who attend this Triumph Festival on the Island are welcome anytime and glad you (unlike others we have had stay) got up a sampled our great Full English plus all the other extra bits, to set you up for the day.
Cheers
Keith & Chris

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed for the second year running at Swiss cottage as part of our classic car club the trump sports six club. We had a fantastic stay made better by the excellent rooms and all the little extras that come with them. The parking our first consideration as we needed to get the triumphs off the road for peace of mind and Swiss cottage has enough parking for our needs. The few days we had over the first may bank holiday were restful and fun. We will be back. Many thanks

Room Tip: All the rooms are great any one of them would be just fine.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

To Our Triumph Lady
Thanks again for organising a great group stay with your friends.
It is always nice to accommodate a Club/Organistaion and see their wonderful cars (or bikes) out on our secure forecourt.
Car parking is a major issue on the Island and we are just pleased we were able to fit all your lovely cars in on display for everyone to see.
Look foward to seeing you all again next Bank Holiday.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I arrived in good spirits, excited to enjoy a break from work and from these reviews knew how welcoming and pleasant the Swiss cottage would be.
My husband and I shared a twin room, which was clean and spacious for us. The back rooms are very quiet and the small touches like the wipes and mini fridge were great!
It's unfortunate that the owners were not so nice, based on all of the below events.

On arrival, after being shown to our rooms I asked Christine the latest time breakfast was served and Christine repeatly said 8.30 and finally after the 3rd time said 8.55 is the very latest as she had things to do!

One morning I popped down at just after midday as we left each day around this time for over an hours travel into town for the festival. I rang the bell and asked Christine as the other rooms have been cleaned, would it be possible that ours was too? Christine had said on arrival that after midday would be fine, if there was time. Christine also said rooms would be cleaned from 10.30 12.30 and I asked at midday. I rang the bell as they are a business and I had an enquiry. I was rudely met with Christine's response: "you expect me to do this" my reply was oh no and I was shocked at the way Christine spoke to me. I was only enquirig and then as it was very arkward I said oh don't worry please could we just have some fresh towels? I was handed these in a huff and I said thank you, to which I was ignored! That morning at breakfast I asked if Christine had a nice birthday, as she mentioned it was that day so I thought it would be nice to make conversation and I received a dry, short, sharp yes. That was the end of that conversation.

We left a note at 1am after our first night out, out of politeness, to make sure Christine and Keith knew we would not make breakfast but it seems that was not good enough and also that the fact that we didnt fill out any breakfast forms for the rest of our stay was not an obvious sign that we would not make breakfast the following mornings. We were being penalised for writing a note to explain we could not make breakfast and for the additional mornings did not have the forms through our door, so assumed, quite rightly, that it was okay to not make breakfast the following mornings.

On the morning of check out I heard shouting outside our door at around 10.20am with a voice saying we let good food go to waste and that we should have come down to let them know we could not make any of the breakfasts, baring in mind, as a guest you are asked to fill out a daily form with your breakfast choices. I heard my name bring discussed and Christine calling me rude for asking for clean towels. Ringing the bell for a service in a 4star hotel, where we had all paid, in full, to stay for the long weekend is far from rude.

We were quiet each night and did not leave our rooms in a mess, we felt as we had paid for our long weekend away we would be allowed to sleep and come and go as we please, a simple fact of paying for a service. Additional questions asked over the morning we had breakfast regarding milk and if I could have a different type of eggs are normal questions, these are not demands. The same relates to me rininging the bell to check if our room was still to be cleaned and if not then towls were more than fine.

This hotel is in the perfect location, has nice clean and lovely rooms but the service you receive is appalling and the owners are very rude. I put this down to the simple fact that we were a young festival couple and we were judged before we even arrived. I would advise the owners to state they do not want festivals goers in future, so they can't attempt to ruin their weekends away too.

Stayed: June 2014
11  Thank Helen L
KeithBeckett, Owner at The Swiss Cottage Shanklin, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2015

Thank you for your opinion on our establishment and ourselves.
Overall Marking 1 out of 5 at 25% is very unfair and unjust.
No consideration for other categories as rooms, location, value & cleanliness all would have scored at least a 4 or 5 from your own review comments? So an overall of 1 is just playing the system?
Your opening statement concerning arrival is incorrect. You were firstly shown to the dining room and there I, as with all guests, explained the procedures of breakfast, how you serve yourself cereals, juice, fruit etc. and your cooked breakfast is served to your table thereafter. As I was about to advise of our breakfast time; 8:30 – 9:15 you rudely interrupted me (on 2 occasions) while making comments to your friends “8:30 that’s far too early for me” therefore I did repeat the words 8:30 TWICE as I needed to. I proceeded to explain that our breakfast service runs from 8:30 to 9:15 and that we ask all guests to be in the dining room by 9:00am with last service of hot breakfast at 9:15am, this fits in with all of our other guests throughout the season, We believe you expected us to change our breakfast time and that of all of the other guests just to fit in with you or have an all day breakfast service!
Furthermore, I IDID NOT NOR DO I SAY: I have better things to do.
Did you all forget the actual events of your check in? Where I had a long and jovial conversation with you all, how we talked about your travel arrangements, your journey over, football teams, joked about how you don’t burn but your partner goes as red as a lobster? I talked in length to one of your group about his job and found that he worked around the same area of London where I lived and about his parents. When you asked about my day I then said that it was in fact my Birthday ( 12th June) All this before you left for the day with a cheery “Bye Hun have a good day” Had none of this taken place explain how you knew it was my Birthday? How did I know that 1 of your group was a Taxi Driver around Old Street and that his parents lived in Pitfield Street? Obviously your definition of Rude, Unwelcoming is contradictory to that in the English Dictionary! During the check in I ran through our procedures of cleaning, advising you all that we ask all guests to allow us access between 10:30 & 12:30 to allow us to maintain your rooms and replenish beverages where necessary and allow for towel change, not 1 of you commented on the times.
It seems that although you are able to recall in depth the so called events, you however don’t seem to be able to remember the days on which they occurred, therefore as you have blended all events into one, I will respond to them in the order of occurrence.
Friday (13th) you all came to breakfast at 8:55am (obviously I did explain our times to you). Your entrance to the dining room did not go unnoticed by the other guests, or us, ignoring the greetings of Good Morning from all other tables and simply walked passed with an air of Self Important Arrogance. When all the breakfasts had been served and tables cleared I entered the dining room as I do each day for my daily catch up with guests.
On reaching your tables I greeted you with no real response just a murmur and you carried on talking to each other. One of your group had asked Keith if we had Skimmed Milk, which he explained we normally supply semi but we are happy to buy some for her use the next morning (why was this not advised during booking or on our forms or at check in giving us the opportunity of being able to cater for her), she quiet rudely said “oh can you tell THAT MAN not to bother with the milk” Not even the courtesy to call him by his name! Why the change of mind not to bother? Did you already decide that you were not coming down for breakfast again? Only 1 of your group enquired as to if I had a good birthday, it was not you, although you give a different account of my so called response than they did, I replied that it was fine and that Keith had cooked our evening meal (which we had around 9:00pm). I had received news of a family death on that day (12th) and I did not feel that I was required to explain my personal loss to you; unlike the other guests this did not directly affect you or your stay.
Having checked out the festival website I had printed out the time table of the night buses for the festival which I left on the table for you. (Why you didn’t check this out yourself before you arrived I don’t know)
The conversation continued thereafter – the other guests sitting to your right and I talked to you about the festival which groups were playing, the amenities on the site etc, You asked me for directions to the beach as you were all going for a swim after breakfast before heading out to the festival later. As with all guests you were given your breakfast forms for the next morning (Saturday) which you all completed and left on the table. During our conversation I was asked not to bother cleaning your rooms as you all wanted to return to them each morning after breakfast to catch up on sleep. I met you all in the hall way around 11:30am when you were on your way out and we left with a very happy “Bye Sweetie” and I wished you all a good day and hoped you enjoyed the festival. This was the only morning ( Friday) that I had access to your rooms to enable us to clean them. Am I still being Rude and Unwelcoming?
Your opening line of your version of events of Saturday speaks volumes, “One morning I popped down after Midday”! A contradiction in itself it cannot be morning and afternoon at the same time, can it? The actual events of that day are as follows:
1) None of you arrived down for breakfast – I will elaborate on that later.
2) After normal breakfast service the dining room was cleaned and reset for evening meals.
3) We had 2 rooms checking out so at 10:00am our guests came down to say good bye and we chatted with them for a short while before they set off to catch their respective ferries back home.
4) The remaining guests all departed for their days activities and Lucy arrived at 10:30am (she cleans the bedrooms and is employed and paid from 10:30 – 12:30pm). The 2 vacant rooms were stripped, thoroughly cleaned and re-dressed ready for the guest’s arrival that afternoon. I then continued cleaning the remaining rooms (bathrooms). The only 3 rooms that were not available or accessible were the ones you and your companions occupied, as I had already been asked not to disturb you they were left un-cleaned, with the exception of the main bathroom which is separate from the bedroom ( Room 9)
5) As 3 of our rooms ( yours) did not require any service I finished earlier than I would have and therefore around 11:45am I left to go shopping for that evenings meals leaving Lucy hovering the new arrivals rooms and finishing with washing up etc...
6) I returned home around 1:15pm to find a note from Lucy to say that as 2 of the 3 rooms ( not yours) were sitting in the lounge she quickly gave their rooms a clean, made the beds and replenished their beverages ( big mistake obviously) before she signed out at 12:30pm. Keith had also finished work had his lunch and left for a bowls match at 1pm and they were still sitting there waiting for you and your partner. They had left by the time that I returned so I presume you had all gone out or maybe they just got fed up waiting and you and your partner were still in your room?
7) As is my normal routine I began to prep for that evening’s dinner service and finished around 2:15pm at which time I sat down with my son (who was back from work) for lunch. The door bell rang at 2:30pm and as I was expecting new arrivals I went to answer what I thought was the front door. When I entered the hall way I was greeted by you. At first you had your back to me looking at the notice board and your exact wording was “oh yeh can you go clean our room it hasn’t been done” to which my first response was “I beg your pardon” you then turned to face me, although you kept your head slightly lowered to repeat the above line, I politely explained that that was not possible at this time of day as Lucy had left 2 hours ago and I was now awaiting new guests arrival. I did remind you that I was requested NOT to clean rooms. Your response, in all honesty, astounded me, with a stamping of feet you proceeded to say “that’s not fair they got their rooms cleaned”. I explained that Lucy had given them a quick clean as they were empty but you were still in yours so she did not have access to do likewise. You then, not wanting to feel left out demanded that I gave you clean towels by saying and I DO QUOTE “I want clean towels then, like now!” I proceeded to follow you up stairs to the linen cupboard (which is opposite your room 6) handing the fresh towels to you (no huff or puff) I noticed that as you opened your bedroom door it was quite evident that you partner was taking a shower.
At which time would you have expected me to clean your room if you were both in the process of still getting ready at 2:30?
How can I be sure of my times? Simple I have a till receipt that shows that at 12:10 I started at the checkout, I have an appointment card which shows that at 12:45pm that I was in the local Salon for a waxing, therefore I couldn’t have been at home at midday and unlike you I can verify that my times are correct!
8) You are quite right had you rang a bell for service in a 4 Star Hotel that caters for 24 hour room service/reception you would expect to have your demands/requests met. However, we are not a 4 Star Hotel. We are a 4 Star Silver Guest Accommodation as advertised; we do not and cannot cater for or offer the same amenities/services of that of a 4 Star Hotel. You would also expect to pay £80 - £120 per person per night in any of the 4 Star Hotels on the Island and we only charge £38 to £40 pppn. However the higher the Star Rating and Higher Price you pay does not always mean you get a better service as Trip Advisor rankings and other guests will show you.
The note that you left was written on the back of one of our business cards and placed directly under the lounge door in a manner to which it would not be found until the door was actually opened. Keith found the card when he collected the news papers around 8:15am, as I had already prepared the majority of the breakfast this was then shared among the other guests. On Sunday morning you were all a no show for breakfast but unfortunately as no further note was left your breakfasts were prepared and so the 5 breakfasts were binned. Considering that on Saturday your friends were in the Lounge and saw Keith leave at 12.30pm and you saw me at 2:30pm why then didn’t any of you have the courtesy to let us know that you would not be requiring breakfast again for the duration of your stay?
Your note actually says; ‘Hi There, Just a quick message to say Room 6, 8, 9 won’t be joining you for breakfast tomorrow!! We’re going to have a lie in instead!! Cheers X’
However it has no mention of the next two days as you suggest as the key word is ‘tomorrow’ ( this being Saturday
Your assumption that as you did not complete any further forms for Sunday/Monday indicated to me that you had no intention of coming to breakfast is wrong, it simply implies to me that you were happy to have the same as ordered for Friday/Saturday hence the confusion
You mention very briefly the check out on Monday, a point that you deemed not to mention in your original review – why if it was so horrendous? Again this is contradictory to the other version given; you give a completely different time for the so called event. The shouting was not outside of your room but some 50 feet away. If you had heard shouting coming from Keith or me to such an extent why did you not come out of your room to investigate? Simply, like the 5th member of your party, because it never happened on our part but what you did or may have heard was the voice of one of your companions swearing and shouting and deem not to get involved. The fact that you now want to make a point of this only confirms that you have been advised / coheresed into it. As you were not present or party to the conversation you cannot possibly make any comments on the basis of hearsay and what amounts to Chinese whispers.
We have never said that you were noisy and would expect any of our guest coming in during the early hours of 1 or 2am in the morning, to be very quiet and courteous to the other guest sleeping anyway..
You say you did not leave your room in a mess, if by your definition you mean did you leave your bags on 1 bed, the duvet of the other on the floor, your partners clothes on the bedroom floor, your underwear hanging on the knobs of the chest of draws and under the bed, your makeup stored in the drinking glasses, the loo unflushed, wet bath towels on the floor then, No you did not leave it in a mess. All of this in 1 day! We maintain the rooms for guests but we are not here to pick up after you. Again this is all fact and not lies but all things we do not expect to find from our guests.
As 5 so called professional adults why is it that you are unable to grasp the concept of a working days schedule? Whether you stay in a 4/5 star hotel, guest house, B&B or like us a guest accommodation in the UK or Abroad you will find that they all run their business with a working schedule for meal service/cleaning service and check in & out times. Any deviation to those should be, as a point of courtesy, discussed with the owners prior to checking in not presumed to be just accepted because it fits in with you.
Your review is primarily a direct assault to me personally some of which can be construed as Libel and Defamation of Character the remainder is a direct effort to ruin our good business name and reputation which again is Detrimental to our Business.
We have accommodated guests attending both the IOW festival and the Bestival for 8 years and this is the only occasion that we have regretted taking a booking. To say that we judged your or any guests prior to their arrival is ludicrous. If other guests attending any of the music festivals (young or old) are, like yourselves, looking for accommodation with no restrictions on meal times or cleaning times where you can sleep until the early afternoon check out as and when you feel like it, then we advise you that when searching for your accommodation that you enter 2 simple words: SELF CATERING.
Christine Beckett
Owner

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at the Swiss Cottage for the first two weeks of July. I had booked there after reading favorable reviews on TripAdvisor. I was not disappointed. I had a very enjoyable stay, with comfortable beds in the twin room I had to myself, plenty of hot water and big soft towels. Lots of extras in the bathroom were useful, egs sewing kit, shoe cleaning kit. The range of beverages was welcome and knowing I could come in during the day and have a hot tea/coffee/chocolate/horlicks in my room. Breakfasts provided plenty of variety and were more than substantial; I had to build myself up to ordering the 'Full Monty' cooked breakfast before I left. Kippers I hadn't had in years but were a tasty option several mornings. The service was efficient but friendly with the owners and Tanzy (morning waitress) mingling with guests after breakfast and offering suggestions as to places to visit or possible things to do, if guests wanted local knowledge. Being a solo traveler I was always happy to talk to other guests at neighbouring tables and found the atmosphere in the dining room friendly.

The standard of room cleanliness was high, decor modern and tasteful. There was only a short period late mornings that the owners needed to clean and re-stock rooms when guests needed to give them access to their room. The comfortable lounge was always available to sit in and open in the evenings for guests wanting an alcohol or soft drink. Flat screen TV's and good Wifi connection were available throughout the hotel as well as in guests' rooms. If you like pets the two small friendly household dogs and cat provided entertainment if guests didn't mind them around, but were kept away if they didn't. There was also a pleasant outside area off of the dining room where smokers could go, and as the weather was pretty warm and often sunny during my stay other guests enjoyed sitting out there too to just chill out.

I can well understand why the Swiss Cottage has been given many awards from local and national tourism bodies because the owners do work hard to provide a good holiday accommodation experience. It is certainly well-placed in Shanklin for the many attractions of the town, all within walking distance, and as traveler without a car this was particularly helpful when catching local buses, finding places to eat, getting back from evening entertainment etc. There was even a laundromat just around the corner, useful for me as I was staying a relatively long time.

I just want to say thank you to Christine and Keith for making me feel so welcome in their home. My stay, as it turned out, was not just holiday and a difficult family event occurred during my time on the Island, but I was able to share that and felt understood and offered additional help had I asked for it from the owners. I would not hesitate in recommending their hotel to anyone planning a holiday on the Isle of Wight, and certainly hope that I will be able to visit again in years to come, though now I am back on the other side of the world that may be some time yet. Best wishes!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Janet B
KeithBeckett, Owner at The Swiss Cottage Shanklin, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

To My Dear Janet
What a lovely stay you had with us for two weeks in late June/early July and we personally want to thankyou for being so nice!
We are pleased that for some one travelling as a solo traveller all the way from Western Australia to our little old Island we made you feel welcome and and at home with us and its is quite clear we did reading you touching review.
You certainly got on very well with all the other guests and we are sorry that your holiday with us was briefly interupted by your difficult family event but I am glad we were able to give you that support you needed to see you thro it.
We do hope you do return to the Island but you never know we maybe knocking on your door first to stay with you and taste those wonderful shrimps on the barbie! You Beauty!
Best Wishes
Keith & Christine & Tansy
xxx

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have just returned from a lovely four night stay. This was a very lucky find. Everything you could possibly need in a bed and breakfast is provided and perfect. Our hosts Keith and Christine are a friendly, welcoming couple. We would throughly recommend a break here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Pat & Duncan
So pleased that you had a Lovely Short Break Stay and that you would recommend us to others and return again.
From a Senior Reviwer this means alot as you have stayed all around the world in many great places and we are up there with the best.
Maybe you will stay a week next time to explore all those many other places you have not seen yet?
Kind Regards
Keith & Christine

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Clifton
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
Palmerston Grange
Palmerston Grange
#21 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to The Swiss Cottage Shanklin? Share your experiences!