“What a find!!!!”

Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Shanklin
Penrith, United Kingdom
“What a find!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

It's been a long time since we visited the Isle of Wight; this must be the best hotel on the island. Carole and Mike have maintained Rylestone as a period property, it is sited in the middle of a formal garden with exotic trees all round. despite it's period feel it has all the modern attributes one would expect; it amazes me that in order to be an hotel with a five star rating there has to be concierge or a pool, this is a five star hotel simply on a smaller basis, nine lovely bedrooms with red squirrels in the garden and food to die for. The drawing room with it's unusual windows is the place to gather after dinner when the proprietors will join guests and the atmosphere is like a proper dinner party in a luxurious home. Angie and Ellie the two ladies who help are lovely.
Don't go anywhere else, and once you have been you won't want to.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
herts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Second time staying here this time for a whole week and we took mother in law and step fathering law , had rooms willow and oak ,had a great week, Mike and Carole always make you feel so welcome ! It's like staying at a friends place not a hotel ! Guys don't change a thing !!!! Other staff also go the extra mile to make things special for their guests again well done guys ! Message for Angie Sarah's teddies miss the fun and games in the mornings !!!! Lol
As I said at the beginning Mike and Carole well done you have a real gem there don't change a thing !! See you guys again next year !!!

Gary Sarah Carol and Robert

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a superb hotel in a great setting in parkland near Shanklin Chine and close to the sea. Quiet location, but town centre is only a short walk away. Owners and staff are very welcoming and friendly and the service and food excellent. Beautiful décor and very clean. Recommended.

2 Thank Robert C
Harlington, Middlesex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful few days staying at Rylstone. From the moment we entered the front door we were made to feel special. The rooms are spotless and sheer luxury. The breakfast was everything you could ask for. We had already made arrangements to eat out in the evenings but understand from others we may have missed out on a few tasteful treats.
We would like to thank Carole,Mike and Angie for making our few days spent with them very special.

Room Tip: We stayed in Ash and for us this was perfect
2 Thank TheSpoards
Uckfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had several nights at Rylstone Manor. The hotel is lovely and yes it is a little disconcerting that the door is closed when you arrive, but ring the bell and you will be given a warm welcome.

Our room was lovely, clean and had everything we needed, the location was lovely in the grounds of a park and very quiet. Breakfast was very good, it set us up for the day. We did not have dinner in the hotel as we felt three courses was a bit much for us and it was quite expensive if we were not going to eat everything, but the food did smell wonderful.

My only small niggle would be that the shower was not thermostatic and went from hot too cold of its own accord, everything else was very good.

1 Thank Steph1e
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

So, this review may be somewhat out of date, but we went back to the gardens recently and it jogged my memory, thinking back, it made me want to write a review.

So, slight back story - my wife grew up in this hotel, her parents ran it when she was young. So when we got married in 2010, we decided to spend our wedding night in Rylstone Manor Hotel. We went to see owners beforehand as we also wanted to use the gardens for some champagne and canapes, mid way through the day. They said this would be fine, and we said we'd only be an hour or so.

I was a bit disappointed, as we asked if it would be ok for my 88 year old Granny to come into the hotel for a sit down and a cup of tea whilst this was going on. They told me this wasn't possible, no one was allowed in the hotel. This marred it for me a bit, and rather than 70 odd guests in the garden hearing about how welcoming and accommodating the hotel was, they heard about poor Granny not getting a sit down. I could see where they were coming from, they didn't want people traipsing in and out, but this decision was a bad one, I thought.

Anyway, we left and that was that...

When we got back later in the night, after our reception, I had my second disappointment. Bearing in mind we had told them Josie grew up there, and they knew it was our wedding night, I was expecting better service. Maybe a complimentary bottle of fizz, or even a congratulations note on the room - no effort had been made to make the room 'special'. Again, in the morning, we weren't greeted as 'Mr and Mrs Pritchard', nor was our wedding mentioned or congratulated upon... instead, we kind of felt like we were imposing.

I know this is a bit petty, but I just think that it's the little things that make the difference. With very little effort, they could have made us feel really welcome and really special, and I'd have recommended Rylstone to everyone.

Anyway, Rylstone is a lovely hotel in fantastic grounds. Nearby shanklin is amazing and it's right next to Shanklin Chine. If you're coming to the Island on holiday, I heartily recommend it and I'm sure the owners will give you a lovely holiday. I was just a bit disappointed as it quite upset my wife not to have a better reception at her old family home.

Note - the date ays September 2013, this was Sept 2010 but it is the same owners.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank talktotippers
comical1, Owner at Rylstone Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
We are sorry you left feeling disappointed, although as it was fours years ago I will try my best to explain some items in your review. We have had a few people come to the hotel for wedding nights and have tried very hard to remember what details really relate to your experience.
We believe we did make tea for a few elderly ladies in the hotel in our drawing room, if your Granny was not one of them then I am at a loss as to whom we made tea for. A few people did come in and out of the hotel but there were no issues with this to my knowledge. You did originally ask us to do the champagne and canapés. We explained it would be difficult to get all the people in the hotel and OUR garden and be separate from the other guests at the hotel as we are only a small 9 bedroom hotel. We said we would do our best. We ordered an extra 3 cases of bubbly in. You then cancelled this, deciding to do it yourselves in the public part of the gardens. We did not make any fuss about this, despite having incurred the cost of the bubbly up front. (we believe it was pink Prosecco)
We address all our guests quite affectionately by the room they are booked into. So you would have been Mr & Mrs Beech. Carole is sure you would of had a card at the breakfast table in the morning as we normally do this to various couples whom we know are celebrating something special so I am sorry if this was not the case.
I also do not wish to be petty but I do find the judgement of poor service a bit harsh when it really relates to not being given things for free. We understand that Josie was brought up at Rylstone but this bears no relation to us or our business, neither does it put us under any obligation to do anything more than we would do for any other guest. We didn't charge for any photography being taken inside or outside the hotel(not sure if it was you or another couple but many places charge for this). We didn't ask for a deposit on the drinks and canapés. We didn't ask for any costs we incurred in purchasing the drink. It takes a fair bit of time to sell extra bottles of bubbly in a 9 bed hotel.
We are a caring couple who do our best for all our guests, we know we will not be everyones cup of tea. I would ask you to think about your expectations of us without you giving us any knowledge of them. If I were raised in a pub I wouldn't expect the landlord to give me a free pint even if I were eating and drinking there for the night.
We do try our best and thought we were as accommodating as we could be for all your arrangements. So we are genuinely sorry you feel like this and we are saddened to be receiving this feedback four years on from the time of the booking. As a lot of our reviews show, we are consistently rated for our friendliness, hospitality and service so it is a bitter pill to have to swallow this late in the day. We hope people look at our more recent reviews for a clearer picture of Rylstone and what we offer to all our guests.
Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Warm welcome from Mike,owner, on arrival at this lovely,peaceful spotlessly clean country hotel which is close to Old Shanklin and sea views.Delicious food cooked by Mike and served by the lovely Angie, who is a mine of information about the island. A big thank you to Mike and Carole for making our short break so enjoyable. Joy and Ian Macdonald.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 9 in Ventnor
Hillside Hotel
Hillside Hotel
#3 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Rylstone Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!