“Lovely place to stay, excellent in every way”

and 1 more site!
Foxhills of Shanklin
Ranked #4 of 50 Shanklin B&B and Inns
Surrey, Canada
“Lovely place to stay, excellent in every way”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

This was the 8th year we have stayed at Foxhills for our week holiday. James and Paula are really friendly and welcoming and excellent hosts. The rooms are spotless and elegantly decorated and the breakfast is always delicious with lots of choice. Nothing is too much trouble. The treatments are fantastic too.

Room Tip: All are lovely
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Surrey
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We have just returned from a week's holiday to the IOW, staying at Foxhills for the whole duration. We had a lovely room with a six foot bed, nice and quiet as it was at the back of the building. Rooms always clean and tidy.

James, the owner, was always so polite, cheerful and helpful. Nothing was ever too much trouble. After a few days of having fresh milk for tea in late afternoon (I couldn't always manage a whole day out as 7.5 months pregnant!), he then began putting an nsulated jug outside our room containing milk, if they were going out. So thoughtful and very much welcomed after an exhausting morning/afternoon.

Breakfast was delicious every day and there was a lovely variety of fresh fruits daily to have with cereal etc. Can't fault them at all.

Would thoroughly recommend this as a central and lovely place to stay. In fact I already have to friends who have asked, before even getting home!!!! Everything was fuss free and they even organised our ferry crossings. Thanks James and Paula ... A super place to call home from home for a week!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I can honestly say that this is one of the very best guest houses that I have ever had the pleasure of staying in – I spent a week here and didn’t want to leave! The facilities were outstanding including spa and aromatherapy, beautifully furnished rooms and a superb breakfast menu. The host James had an excellent local knowledge and was gracious and attentive as well as being respectful of guest’s privacy. I would not hesitate to recommend this place – It is absolutely ideal for a weekend retreat and/or a holiday for singles/couples/families. It clearly works really hard for its 5 Star Gold rating and my goodness it thoroughly deserves it. Many thanks!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
uk
Reviewed 21 July 2011

my Husband & I have just had another great stay could not wish for a better host in James & Paula you made us feel very welcome as soon as you step inside the door & make you feel like part of the family. Thank you both once again

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
WALES
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I stayed at Foxhills with a friend from 27-30th June.

As soon as we arrived, I opened the car door and the owner James was at the front door and welcomed us by our first names, I was very impressed. As soon as we got into the hotel he asked us to fill out a short form and whilst we did this he took our cases up to the bedroom, such a nice touch.

As soon as we got up to the room James offered us tea after a long journey from Wales which was very much welcomed and appreciated, especially when it was accompanied by a home made chocolate!

The bedroom was so pretty and comfortable and had everything we wanted, tea/coffee making facilities; towels; robes; toiletries; tv; hairdryer; plenty clothing space and even room service and even DVD rental if you wanted it!

Breakfast was excellent, a choice of what you wanted (full cooked english; cereal, toast, croissants; poached/scrambled/fried eggs; fresh fruit; yougurt; preserves; tea/coffee/juice), we were spoilt for choice and the food was very well cooked and service was excellent!

When we got there James showed us the whirlpool, I loved it!! There were towels and robes for you to tuse and when you went into the whirlpool the room was yours and private as there was a sign to put on the door "in use", excellent when you want some me time.

Whilst there you can also have spa treatments (massage/facial/manicure etc), I had a facial & head massage & although I cannot rtemember the name of the beuaty therapist she was so nice and friendly and the treatments were so relaxing.

At breakfast you are asked to fill out a small card rating the restaurant/pub/food place you ate the night before...what an amazing idea, I have never seen this idea before & dont know why everywhere doesn't do it! You can rate the restaurant/pub food on service; quality/price and its location etc and then the cards get put into small folders which are in alphabetical order so you can look at reviews of the eaterie before you chose to eat there or not, brilliant!! This is a way of getting an impartial honest review from former guests.

The hotel is about a 5minute stroll from the town of Shanklin and around 10minutes orso from the beach. Plenty of buses and taxi's around the area too.

I absolutely LOVED this hotel and this was my first visit to Isle of Wight and I would love to go back; if I do I will definately stay at Foxhills, I could not find any fault with this place!!

Thank you so much to James who couldnt do enough for you and was so hospitable; friendly and a genuine brilliant host!

What an amzing hotel!!

Laura (Porthcawl, South Wales).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank LauraWales
Portsmouth
Reviewed 10 July 2011

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome. The breakfast was excellent, all tastes catered for. The room was very comfortable and clean with plenty of space. Although Foxhills does not offer evening meals, with Shanklin village only 10 minutes walk away, there is ample choice of good quality eateries, would particularly recommend 'Morgans' situated in the High st. We will definitely be returning to this gorgeous little hotel, if only to try out the spa again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PortsmouthWighty
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2011

A very relaxed and confortable stay. James the proprietor was very helpful and nothing was to much bother. Breakfast was excellent and I can see why he has won all the accolades he has.
Will not hesitate to recommend to friends and will stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stuntpants
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Royal Hotel
#6 of 29 in Sandown
Old Shanklin Guest House
Old Shanklin Guest House
#2 of 50 in Shanklin

Been to Foxhills of Shanklin? Share your experiences!