“Ad Hoc Weekend Away”

Ranked #4 of 51 Shanklin B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Ad Hoc Weekend Away”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Booked for 2 nights, first time in a guesthouse for many years and have to admit that I am more used to staying in 4/5 star hotels these days so have to admit my expectations were very high. So ok why did I choose a guesthouse you might ask? Well guesthouses are plentiful on the island and the reviews on trip advisor reported Foxhills to be of very high quality, so I thought I would choose it for our weekend away rather than a hotel. I am happy to report that it is a pleasant well maintained guesthouse with a lot of charm and very friendly attentive staff.

We stayed in the Osborne room which had a four poster bed, unfortunately I found this very small and not the most comfortable bed, in hindsight I think I should had chosen the superior room but believe this was already booked the weekend we chose, and admittedly thought that the four poster sounded romantic. The room was victorian styled, absolutely spotlessly clean as was the bathroom which was large and unusually for a bathroom these days, carpeted. I have to say that the room loses points because of the shower, whilst looking good, was awful, it really was a dance around to try and get wet and rinse soap off, a real let down. The room faced the main road although traffic could be heard it really wasn't that busy so not a problem. As the bedroom doors were very thin any conversations in the hall ways could easily be heard in the room.

Breakfast was plentiful and nothing was too much trouble. I don't think I could agree that the food was to die for though, just fine and plenty of it. I wasn't keen on the satisfaction survey that was on the table every morning, I don't feel this is necessary and get tired off everyone expecting a completed survey for every movement we make these days. I didn't complete one at all, wanted to save my thoughts for Tripadvisor.

Foxhills is well placed for Shanklin old village about 5 minutes walk away. There are plenty of maps available and if you needed any guidance or directions James was more than happy to assist.

My review is purely my thoughts and feelings and like I said I am more used to modern hotels. Having said that Foxhills is a charming comfortable guest house and one of the nicest I have stayed in.

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear are probably quieter being as they are away from the road.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Have just returned from three nights stay at Foxhills. We received a very warm and personal welcome in a clean and homely environment, with excellent breakfast. First class service. Just five minutes stroll to Shanklin high street with numerous good restaurants and shops. We will return and recommend to others. Thank you James and Paula.

Linda and John Creek

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is the fifth year running we have stayed at Foxhills and as always the experience was amazing. James and Paula are the most welcoming hosts and nothing is too much trouble for them. The room was large, very clean, a perfect crash pad after a day exploring the island. Breakfast is to die for, a wide selection of cold and hot food. Cooked breakfast is just delicious. I cant put into words how special Foxhills is. We'll be back next year.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Oxford
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights with my mother the owner James couldn't do enough for you.
From the minute we booked the personal touch was evident from room request to ferry booking.
The rooms are large very clean with everything you need for a breakaway from home.
Wonderful breakfast with a varied choice from cereals, fruit to one of the best English breakfast I've had in years barring my wife's
If your looking for a quality relaxing break in the IOW this should be your first place to try.
Wonderful break thank you James & Paula
Mel Joyce & Ruth

• Stayed July 2013
Iver, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Before we had chance to get out of the car, James offered to help with our bags! We then had a nice tour round, were given a choice of rooms - they are all lovely :) We then had chance to unwind in the garden with a drink - much needed after our trip in the heat. Our room was tastefully furnished with a lovely big bathroom. We had a fan in the room which helped with the heat during our stay, but could sleep with the window open as there is virtually no noise. Breakfasts are exceptional - everything from cereal, to home made jam and marmalade. If you want filling up for the day, the full english comes highly recommended with the bacon and sausages coming from local producers. In the Old Village in Shanklin there are are a number of nice restaurants - great idea that Foxhills has folders for you to look through of comments from previous guests - makes the chance of having a bad experience minimal. Our favourite was Vernons. Food is also available during the day at Foxhills but after eating one of their breakfasts, we found we didnt need another meal until the evening. Overall we had a fabulous stay in a lovely property with no complaints - not many places you can say that about!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Just back from 4 nights at Foxhills where James made us very welcome from the start. We had lovely room and even provided us with a fan which was well needed and well used. Breakfast was fantastic with great choice and plenty of it. Only bad comment would be the shower to our room could have done with alot more power. On the whole a lovely clean and well kept establishment and I would highly recommend it. Would have been nice to have met Paula, the lady of the house if only to thank her for her excellent cooking.

Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

From the moment we arrived and James greeted us, our stay was a complete pleasure. We were given a tour of the facilities to begin and the idea of the local restaurants being rated by previous guests is great. The room was beautiful and the attention to detail from the time I booked was brilliant. My wife would recommend the beauty therapy. She had a full body massage and truly loved it. This was arranged for me by James & Paula, keeping it discreet as it was to be a surprise for my wife. The breakfast was second to none, the full english is the business. I certainly look forward to going back to Foxhills and will be recommending it to friends and family. To James & Paula thank you for making our weekend break such a memorable one.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Clifton
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Old Shanklin Guest House
Old Shanklin Guest House
#2 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Foxhills of Shanklin? Share your experiences!