“Foxhills - a lovely family run hotel within easy reach of Shanklin centre”

Foxhills of Shanklin
Ranked #2 of 51 Shanklin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2014

James and Paula really made us welcome right from the start. The food was superb and accommodation first class. Shanklin is an excellent place to stay with everything within walking distance from Foxhills.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I can't rate Foxhills highly enough, it certainly lived up to its 5 star rating. James and his wife Paula were fantastic proprietors, incredibly friendly and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble, the breakfast was great, the bar snack we stayed in for on one evening was delicious! We took advantage of the Spa and had some beauty treatments given by another incredibly friendly person who made the whole experience great fun. Our room was delightful, very comfortable. There was loads of information all over the place to help you decide on what to see and where to go on the Isle of Wight. Foxhills is situated just five minutes walk from Shanklin Old Town and the main centre, so very easy to nip out for dinner. James and Paula made us feel like friends who had dropped in for a couple of days, not just customers.

Room Tip: My sister and I stayed in a twin room called St. Catherine's which was large and beautifully dec...
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I travelled with my partner and his 87 year old mother who has limited mobility. A very warm charming welcome from James the owner. Mother had a very comfortable room downstairs on the ground floor. Our room, the Carisbrooke, was very comfortable clean and well furnished with a view of the charming garden. All the linens and towels were very clean and fresh and the bed was very large and comfy. The only downside was that the room had a bath with a hand held shower attachment but not a shower cubicle.

Breakfast was of excellent quality promptly served in a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere..

James and Paula have gone to great lengths to provide information about the island and its attractions, which we found most useful. The spa bath is a great facility in which to relax and unwind after a day exploring the island. Give it a try!

Overall you feel like guests rather than customers in a comfortable country house atmosphere. I have been before and would certainly come back again.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Foxhills in Shanklin is a charming small nice B&B. It is very calm and quiet though close to the center of Shanklin with many bars and restaurants. The host is a great character and I immediately felt like at home. I can recommend to go to Foxhills, Shanklin if you are looking forward to relaxing or discovering the southern part of the Island.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Having been unable to get a last minute booking at some other establishments through Red Funnel this hotel was recommended by them and we were not disappointed.

The host James is charming and was very welcoming upon our arrival, helping with our luggage and showing us around the property before escorting us to our room and then providing a pot of tea and home made chocolates in the drawing room. Our room, the Carisbrooke was very clean, spacious and comfortable with a separate dressing area and ensuite bathroom. The jacuzzi which we had all to ourselves was nice to relax in before heading out to dinner. The hotel is a short five minute walk away from the many restaurants and pubs in town. I loved the idea of the Restauarant Review booklets in the breakfast room where guests are encouraged to write a short review of where they have dined and leave an unbiased opinion for other guests. James has also put together a very informative guide to the island with suggested walks, drives and cycle routes.

The breakfast is very good - a lovely choice of fresh fruits and berries, home made jams, cereals, and yoghurts to start and a good choice of cooked to order eggs and a Full English.

All in all a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are ensuite but the superior rooms are more spacious - the Carisbrooke is recommended.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A friendly welcome to a very clean and comfortable hotel. I was only staying one night on business and found the spar pool a very relaxing way to unwind after a day working. A short work from the hotel takes you into the centre of Shanklin where you will find a good selection of restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at the Foxhills for 4 nights whilst away with work. The B&B is well located, very close to Old Shanklin but far enough away to relax. When arriving at the B&B James came and greeted me and took my bag to my room for me. Which was a nice touch. He showed me round the B&B, and made me feel at home.

My room was large enough for me, and nicely decorated. The bathroom was large and clean.

I ate regularly at Foxhills and the food was always great. Scampi especially. The breakfast was very good, large range of cereals, fresh fruits and juices to start and then a wide choice of hot food. All very good standard, and James takes pride in making sure guests have enough tea, coffee and toast.

James & Paula have a nice quiet lounge area that guests can sit in which is lovely if it is cold or raining. If sunny, they have a terrace area to enjoy. I did not use the spa facilities, but these would be great for a relaxing break.

I have stayed in many places on the Island, but this is the first place I have felt completely comfortable and at home, this is very important to me when traveling alone. The food is first class and James cannot possibly do enough for you, whatever you need, he will try to accommodate. Would definitely stay here again on business or for personal travel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Melville Hall Hotel
The Fernbank
The Fernbank
#7 of 51 in Shanklin
The Belmont Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Foxhills of Shanklin? Share your experiences!