“Superb service”

Foxhills of Shanklin
Ranked #5 of 51 Shanklin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Foxhills seems to be the only place that seems to understand the needs of business people visiting the Island.

Because of messed-up travel arrangements, I wasn’t able to check in til after 11pm. No problem for James who then made me some sandwiches which went down well with a half-bottle of Rioja! Then I needed to be up and about early. Again, no problem. A proper full English at 6:45 in the morning. And free WiFi. And the room-rate is really good too.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Foxhills of Shanklin

Reviewed 5 November 2010

We had a short stay in September and from the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were made to feel so welcome and at home. Upon arrival we were shown around and given tea and home made chocolates in the beautiful, cosy lounge. James was always so friendly and helpful and you just felt as if nothing was too much trouble.

The hotel is set in a peaceful residential location, near to the Old Village and Chine and I had selected this hotel based on the location so I was not disappointed. The beach is about a 10 minute or so walk away.

Our room overlooked a woodland area and there were grapes growing outside the window. It just added that extra bit of magic. The en-suite room was compact but had absolutely everything you needed. Toiletries and shower caps were provided and there were bath robes if you needed them.

It was raining during the first night so we hired some dvds from James to watch in our room and he also made our supper for us. You can order snacks and there is no charge for room service.

A really nice, unusual touch is that James asks guests to fill out little cards rating their eating experiences whilst in Shanklin. These are then filed in binders and James has provided rankings 1-10 based on guests' ratings. This was very useful.

The breakfast! I'm still dreaming about it. A buffet of cereals, fruit juices, teas, coffee, toast, preserves, yoghurts, bananas, stewed prunes and a huge bowl of beautiful prepared fresh fruit (honeydew, cantaloupe melons, blueberries, strawberries etc) and then a choice of freshly cooked breakfast. Delicious.

2 months on and I think about my stay daily, it was that good! I've told so many people about this hotel and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I've stayed in plenty of B&B hotels and they have all been great but this was EXCELLENT.

The only cons are that the tv was rather difficult to operate and was situated too high up on the wall - it was a bit painful on the neck watching it. I also found the pillows a little flat and plumper pillows would have benefitted a better sleeping experience. These are minor gripes and must not detract from everything else that was so spot on.

All in all though, I cannot wait to return and plan to do so in 2011. James is an absolute star and he made our stay perfect. Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
186308James, Owner at Foxhills of Shanklin, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2010

Thank you for such a wonderful review. Paula and I work hard to make everybody's stay enjoyable and it's good to see that our efforts aren't wasted. We just wanted to take this opportunity to ensure you that when you visit us next, all rooms have now been fitted with new flat-screened TVs with buit-in DVDs and Freeview channels. Inidentally Paula doesn't understand how your pillows were uncomfy - she paid a fortune for them! Rest assured that next time you visit, she'll have a selection for you. Thanks again - we look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed 4 November 2010

We arrived with friends to do a walk on the island. James made us feel really at home , nothing was too much trouble . We had a perfect stay and a delicious breakfast. He was even generous enough to offer us"showering facilities" at the end of our walk , as the forecast was awful, before we returned to the mainland.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We so needed to get away to somewhere quiet and welcoming. We could not have made a better choice. From the moment when we drove into the car park to the moment we left Foxhills we were treated like royalty by James and Paula. Our suite was spotless and comfortable, our breakfast was delicious and varied, the spa was a treat. The attention to detail was amazing and the infomation to help us enjoy the island was very informative. We would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this wonderful place. Thank you so much, Paula and James for making our stay one to remember for all the right reasons.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I stayed with my parents last week for 5 days. Hotel was nice, in a nice classic building around 100 years old (so many B&Bs looked really ugly in more modern buildings), 5 mins walk from Shanklin village. My room was very nice and spacious and all seem to have tea making facilities and a good choice of teas/hot chocolate etc. My parents room was not quite as nicely decorated but very comfortable. And the hosts were extremely friendly and really, you couldn't ask for more in terms of help and friendliness.

The hotel has a very nice lounge that my father and I enjoyed playing scrabble in. Shame about the weather though which rained incessantly, meaning we were in the B&B for more time than usual. Thus we ate in 2 nights due to too much rain. The first night we had very nice sandwiches and the 2nd night I requested (not on the menu) if Paula might do me a salad and I got the most delicious prawn salad that was definitely the best meal I'd had on the island!!
Now that's service for you.

The other thing I noticed was that many other guests (nice and friendly people) had been there several times which shows that it's consistently good.

Positives - free wifi, super-helpful owners, good snack menu and room service (no roomservice charge), tea facilities, nice lounge, decent breakfast with particularly nice bacon and sausages, and plenty of choice (there is a whole menu of options), free jaccuzzi spa, spa treatments available to be booked, DVD players in every room and DVD library available free of charge, super-clean

(potential) Negatives -decor is "classic" in case that's not your cup of tea
breakfast only served 8.30-9.30 in case you're a late riser
in-room TVs a bit small if you fancy watching TV all your holiday

none of these were an issue to me, the only negative thing I can think of is the scrambled eggs were a bit variable and too much cream... :-) But more than made up for by all the other stuff that was great.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2010

We've stayed here 3 years in a row and can never fault it. James (the owner) can't do enough for you! The service is second to none, the food really good, the location great and the B&B lovely. Don't even think about staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Our stay was very comfortable. This B&B has won awards and you can definitely see why. The breakfast has a huge choice and the owner is very accommodating in every aspect of your stay. The food is of an excellent standard and snacks can be provided on request. The rooms are very nice. All of the rooms have a theme and named after places on the island. They are clean and have tea making facilities. They have ensuite bathrooms. The towels were changed every day of our stay. We stayed for five nights. The communication was very good, with the hotel owners. They could provide any information you require for your visit. They have a whirlpool if you like that sort of thing. If I was to say one negative thing, is that the TV's in the rooms need updating. But that is a minor issue, as we were out all day. Yes I would recommend this B&B, especially if you like peaceful, beautiful surroundings. It is very quiet. The hospitality is brilliant here, so if you want a break in The Isle of Wight, try Foxhills in Shanklin!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Clifton
#2 of 51 in Shanklin
Old Shanklin Guest House
Old Shanklin Guest House
#3 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Foxhills of Shanklin? Share your experiences!