Brunswick Hotel
US$46
  • Restaurant
US$207
US$192
The Channel View Hotel(Shanklin)
US$146
US$142
All reviewsindoor poolthe cliffisle of wightevening mealsnooker tablewaiting staffoverlooking the seaa ground floor roomgood sizelovely hotelother guestsrooms were very cleannight breakold villageshanklin chinewarm welcomehotel is situated
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed again; we were here earlier in the year.

Charlotte (room attendant) was excellent and our room was clean, she also helps out in the Bar and has the personality whatever she does, she does well. Charlotte is always happy and it is infectious, she is a real "people person" and has the rare ability to make everybody feel special. Cherie and Chris do their best to make people feel “at home”.

The waiting staff had changed. The waiting staffs were pushed. Two serving 42 (one night)and one cut corners by serving two tables at once and delivering four meals at a time, the result one chicken main dish fell on the floor. We were part of the two tables being served at once, but my dinner did reach me!

This Hotel holds lots of memories for me. Its location is excellent; the swimming pool is good, if the Jacuzzi could be working again - it would be nice. Another guest pointed out to me the threadbare carpet by the rear entry door; little touches to correct this would make this Hotel superb.

I am a vegetarian for some starters at dinner, I had to ask for melon balls or something else because there was not a vegetarian option and two mornings at breakfast they had “run out” of yoghurts.

All in all a lovely Hotel and the above comments are only minor criticisms in a good Hotel, I hope to be back sometime.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lazybonestoo
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Rooms clean and well presented, some of the staff were very accommodating, others didn't seem to want to be there! Breakfast was just about acceptable but choice and quality of the dinner was appalling. Only just warm food which none in our party ate. The waiter said nobody from management was available to discuss because they were having their meal! Finally a member of management did talk to us two hours later but No refund offered. However, we were pleased that the management did enjoy their meal!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank beemermal
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Firstly can I say the location of the Brunswick is fantastic and the exterior is way above average compared to it's neighbours but the interior really let's this place down.
We were greeted by a lovely lady who showed us all around the hotel and pointed out all of the amenities...including the jacuzzi which we were informed blew up 8 years ago and had not been fixed or used since!! ( at this point we became worried!)
Our family room was very spacious but both the bedroom and the bathroom (while both fully functional) were extremely
outdated when you consider we were paying above average prices on a bed and breakfast basis.
The majority of staff were very helpful and polite, there was only one member of the waiting staff who let the team down...please don't sit at the wrong table for your breakfast or this very rude and unsmiling fellow will certainly make you feel uncomfortable! (thank goodness the waiter with the blonde hair made up for his colleague's rudeness!

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Nenney
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Firstly can I say that having just returned from the Brunswick for the 8th summer I was amazed to read a couple of bad reviews on the hotel, at first I though it was a different hotel are these people sure that they were on the Isle of Wight.
Yet again we were met by friendly and efficient staff, from the receptionist to the bar staff, dinning staff and cleaners.The hotel is run smoothly and the owner Peter and Joy Bushby always make themselves available for guests who may have the odd request.
The rooms all have toilets and shower or baths. There are also tea/coffee facilities and colour tvs in each of the 35 rooms.The rooms are kept clean and also the indoor and outer pools are regularly cleaned.
The menu has a wide choice including a meat dish, fish, vegetarian and variety of salads.
Any request is no problem for the chef in the kitchen.
Above all I can only give this hotel a glowing report and say I've already booked for next year.
Roll on next July.

Peter Oxley
Dagenham..

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ofenious
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We previously stayed at this hotel in 1998. As the website proudly claims that the hotel has been run by the same family for 35 years, we hoped that very little had changed. Unfortunately, the 1998 chef has definitely moved on. Over the last 13 years we have often mentioned the excellent dining experience we had enjoyed at the Brunswick Hotel. The food in 1998 was plain English cuisine which, when cooked well with fine ingredients, is hard to beat. My wife and I have travelled to some 76 countries so we aren't parochial when it comes to dining.
The evening meal looked good on the menu but when it arrived at our table it was very poor. All the food was overspiced with too many sauces. We suspect that the heavy sauces had been introduced to conceal inferior produce. All very disappointing! Other guests that we spoke to who had used the Brunswick before agreed that the food was nothing like it used to be. People at the next table often had just one course from the four courses on offer because the food was so uninviting.
Breakfast was adequate but inflexible. I asked for mushrooms but they did not have any! I asked for an omelette but they did not do omelettes!
We had a sea view room and we were astonished to find that there was no shower in the ensuite. The bathroom had only recently been refurbished. It was obvious from the tiling and the new suite but there was no shower. Everything was available - a bath to stand in, a blank wall and the hand held shower head had a sufficiently long shower hose. All it would take would be a bracket for the shower head, a shower curtain rail, curtain rings and a shower curtain. I could have done the job myself in ten minutes.
The majority of clients at the hotel were elderly. Many cannot use a bath so it is inexcusable not to have a shower available.
The rooms are clean but a little "tired" and old fashioned. I did not like the net curtains. Venetian blinds would be preferable.
The staff were efficient and friendly and the car park was adequate for the number of guests at the time we were at the hotel . The hotel has 39 rooms and I estimate that perhaps 30% were occupied. If the hotel had been full then the car park could not have coped.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a sea view and a shower
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Abrumar
brunswick60, Owner at Brunswick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

We are so sorry you managed to find so many things wrong with our hotel in the 3 days you stayed with us. Firstly, the best way to deal with any complaint is at the time. It is always better to make known any special requirements at time of booking. We have refurbished most of our bathrooms - some have walk-in showers, some have overhead showers, some with bath and hair-washing facilities.
We understand you didn't like the net curtains! I am sure you can appreciate that Venetian blinds in a hotel of some 140 years old, is probabaly not the look we are trying to achieve!
The hotel only has 35 bedrooms, and parking spaces for 35 cars.
We all have different ideas of what constitutes a good meal - all sauces can be served separately, and all our meat and fish are sourced locally from the Island.
I have spoken to the manageress, reception and restaurant staff - they were not made aware of your complaints so we were not given the chance to put anything right for you.
It seems so unfair that you can make such detrimental and hurtful comments about the Brunswick, without firstly giving us the opportunity to amend any problem, as we try very hard to give value for money in these difficult times.