“nice hotel, some improvements would make all the difference”
Review of Brunswick Hotel

Brunswick Hotel
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
London, United Kingdom
“nice hotel, some improvements would make all the difference”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Overall our stay was ok. The welcome and checking in was great. Location of the hotel is excellent for all, couldn't be better. The decor of the hotel is a little out dated but is maintained and keep clean enough.
The receptionists were very friendly except one, Julie, who seemed very false. one evening all she did was hang around the bar area 'gossiping' about staff and other quests which we were very surprised by to say the least.

There is no entertainment in the evenings but we weren't after that so that was ok. The barman was very friendly/helpful without being too nosey as bar persons sometimes can be. One night, another person worked the bar who seemed to get a bit behind which caused a considerable wait in service but I guess she was only part time.

The evening meals were overall ok to good. Some nights it was really nice others the plates might be cold, the food not so good or the service could be quite lapse (when we entered the dining room on are first night, we had to wait 4/5 minutes to be seated). the waiting staff were friendly enough, although one of them was quite rude when we asked for a meal to be sent back.

back to the food, sometimes, the dishes served seem to vary from the advertised meal on the menu but no big issue.

The room we stayed in was clean and tidy just a little outdated like the rest of the hotel. the bathroom was excellent.

The morning breakfast was just your basic breakfast, some mornings the cooked breakfast was a bit lacking as if you ordered bacon and egg, you would get just one rasher of bacon and one egg. But, there was a breakfast table so you could fill up on cereal or yoghurt etc.

In summary, the hotel is very nice but it could do with being revived. I think I have been very fair in my review as I have seen that some other reviews contrast mine in a number of ways, and some I think they must have got the wrong hotel. I would consider returning for another stay but some changes made in the right places would make it much more appealing.

2 Thank brubaker_karabine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Our visit was a huge disappointment because we had heard good reports about this family owned hotel. The hotel interior was as expected, a little out of date with one or two areas of wear and tear but that wasn't the real problem. After a better than average welcome we very quickly noticed that the staff seemed to lack any motivation. The barman was a miserable looking guy who made no attempt whatsoever to interact with the guests and as a consequence an atmosphere of gloom descended every evening before the evening meal. Arrival in the Dining Room promised to lift the spirits but all hope quickly disappeared when the meals were brought to table, unless of course you like luke warm, utterly tasteless, ill presented and poorly cooked food. I could labour the point here but suffice to say that we believe it to be the worst food of any hotel we have been to, and we have been to many, We were both ill after one evening and I reported it to the person in Reception who seemed to be apologetic but otherwise disinterested! The breakfasts were small in size, barely warm and served on cold plates. Need I say more! I attach no blame whatsoever to the young people employed as waiters. They made a lot of mistakes but there appeared to be no one in charge to put things right.when things weren't quite right. Well done you guys. You did your best. No. I'm sorry. This is one short break holiday we will always remember, for the wrong reasons.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a shower if you want one, because you might get a bath without a shower facility
3 Thank Colwyn957
Devon
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed again; we were here earlier in the year.

Charlotte (room attendant) was excellent and our room was clean, she also helps out in the Bar and has the personality whatever she does, she does well. Charlotte is always happy and it is infectious, she is a real "people person" and has the rare ability to make everybody feel special. Cherie and Chris do their best to make people feel “at home”.

The waiting staff had changed. The waiting staffs were pushed. Two serving 42 (one night)and one cut corners by serving two tables at once and delivering four meals at a time, the result one chicken main dish fell on the floor. We were part of the two tables being served at once, but my dinner did reach me!

This Hotel holds lots of memories for me. Its location is excellent; the swimming pool is good, if the Jacuzzi could be working again - it would be nice. Another guest pointed out to me the threadbare carpet by the rear entry door; little touches to correct this would make this Hotel superb.

I am a vegetarian for some starters at dinner, I had to ask for melon balls or something else because there was not a vegetarian option and two mornings at breakfast they had “run out” of yoghurts.

All in all a lovely Hotel and the above comments are only minor criticisms in a good Hotel, I hope to be back sometime.

1 Thank LazyLumpkins
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Rooms clean and well presented, some of the staff were very accommodating, others didn't seem to want to be there! Breakfast was just about acceptable but choice and quality of the dinner was appalling. Only just warm food which none in our party ate. The waiter said nobody from management was available to discuss because they were having their meal! Finally a member of management did talk to us two hours later but No refund offered. However, we were pleased that the management did enjoy their meal!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank beemermal
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Firstly can I say the location of the Brunswick is fantastic and the exterior is way above average compared to it's neighbours but the interior really let's this place down.
We were greeted by a lovely lady who showed us all around the hotel and pointed out all of the amenities...including the jacuzzi which we were informed blew up 8 years ago and had not been fixed or used since!! ( at this point we became worried!)
Our family room was very spacious but both the bedroom and the bathroom (while both fully functional) were extremely
outdated when you consider we were paying above average prices on a bed and breakfast basis.
The majority of staff were very helpful and polite, there was only one member of the waiting staff who let the team down...please don't sit at the wrong table for your breakfast or this very rude and unsmiling fellow will certainly make you feel uncomfortable! (thank goodness the waiter with the blonde hair made up for his colleague's rudeness!

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Nenney
dagenham
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Firstly can I say that having just returned from the Brunswick for the 8th summer I was amazed to read a couple of bad reviews on the hotel, at first I though it was a different hotel are these people sure that they were on the Isle of Wight.
Yet again we were met by friendly and efficient staff, from the receptionist to the bar staff, dinning staff and cleaners.The hotel is run smoothly and the owner Peter and Joy Bushby always make themselves available for guests who may have the odd request.
The rooms all have toilets and shower or baths. There are also tea/coffee facilities and colour tvs in each of the 35 rooms.The rooms are kept clean and also the indoor and outer pools are regularly cleaned.
The menu has a wide choice including a meat dish, fish, vegetarian and variety of salads.
Any request is no problem for the chef in the kitchen.
Above all I can only give this hotel a glowing report and say I've already booked for next year.
Roll on next July.

Peter Oxley
Dagenham..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ofenious
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We previously stayed at this hotel in 1998. As the website proudly claims that the hotel has been run by the same family for 35 years, we hoped that very little had changed. Unfortunately, the 1998 chef has definitely moved on. Over the last 13 years we have often mentioned the excellent dining experience we had enjoyed at the Brunswick Hotel. The food in 1998 was plain English cuisine which, when cooked well with fine ingredients, is hard to beat. My wife and I have travelled to some 76 countries so we aren't parochial when it comes to dining.
The evening meal looked good on the menu but when it arrived at our table it was very poor. All the food was overspiced with too many sauces. We suspect that the heavy sauces had been introduced to conceal inferior produce. All very disappointing! Other guests that we spoke to who had used the Brunswick before agreed that the food was nothing like it used to be. People at the next table often had just one course from the four courses on offer because the food was so uninviting.
Breakfast was adequate but inflexible. I asked for mushrooms but they did not have any! I asked for an omelette but they did not do omelettes!
We had a sea view room and we were astonished to find that there was no shower in the ensuite. The bathroom had only recently been refurbished. It was obvious from the tiling and the new suite but there was no shower. Everything was available - a bath to stand in, a blank wall and the hand held shower head had a sufficiently long shower hose. All it would take would be a bracket for the shower head, a shower curtain rail, curtain rings and a shower curtain. I could have done the job myself in ten minutes.
The majority of clients at the hotel were elderly. Many cannot use a bath so it is inexcusable not to have a shower available.
The rooms are clean but a little "tired" and old fashioned. I did not like the net curtains. Venetian blinds would be preferable.
The staff were efficient and friendly and the car park was adequate for the number of guests at the time we were at the hotel . The hotel has 39 rooms and I estimate that perhaps 30% were occupied. If the hotel had been full then the car park could not have coped.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a sea view and a shower
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Abrumar
brunswick60, Owner at Brunswick Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
We are so sorry you managed to find so many things wrong with our hotel in the 3 days you stayed with us. Firstly, the best way to deal with any complaint is at the time. It is always better to make known any special requirements at time of booking. We have refurbished most of our bathrooms - some have walk-in showers, some have overhead showers, some with bath and hair-washing facilities.
We understand you didn't like the net curtains! I am sure you can appreciate that Venetian blinds in a hotel of some 140 years old, is probabaly not the look we are trying to achieve!
The hotel only has 35 bedrooms, and parking spaces for 35 cars.
We all have different ideas of what constitutes a good meal - all sauces can be served separately, and all our meat and fish are sourced locally from the Island.
I have spoken to the manageress, reception and restaurant staff - they were not made aware of your complaints so we were not given the chance to put anything right for you.
It seems so unfair that you can make such detrimental and hurtful comments about the Brunswick, without firstly giving us the opportunity to amend any problem, as we try very hard to give value for money in these difficult times.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
The Wight
The Wight
#6 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Brunswick Hotel? Share your experiences!