Stayed here for one night whilst on a touring holiday of Southern England and the isle of Wight. Booked and paid for a superior room via the internet only to be told when we arrived we had been given a free upgrade. For the price we paid ie £110 per night I would have expected a sea view anyway! True the view was spectacular but the room was shabby and dated and I felt we had travelled back to the 1970 s. When I compare the other guest houses and hotels we stayed in The Clifton fell far short in terms of value and service. Breakfast was adequate with a little fresh fruit but the new owner was so keen to point out his wonderful view I felt he neglected to see the hotel's shortcomings. The garden was beautiful but unkempt and the whole place felt in desperate need of fresh paint. Presumably these deficiencies occurred under the previous owner but we felt the new owner was either unaware or uninterested in customer feedback.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Clifton’s privileged location on the cliff top offers an amazing sea view and makes it an ideal retreat for those in search of tranquility. The Conservatory Bistro offers a stunning view of the bay which can also be enjoyed from the lovely garden offering the perfect visual tonic to relax and revitalise, perhaps with a good book and an English Cream Tea, or refreshments from the licensed bar. Local is Best……with prime farming land all around us and a host of specialist growers and producers making the most of it, we usually have access to plenty of fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables, as well as quality fish and meat. The garden opens out to Keats Green and the lovely walk between Shanklin and Sandown (part of the Isle of Wight Coastal Path) with fantastic views across Sandown Bay. This also leads to the famous Shanklin Chine with a pathway down to the sandy beaches. Within easy reach by foot are the picturesque Shanklin Old Village with its thatched roofs, and the beautiful Rylstone Gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda and Priceline so you can book your The Clifton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Clifton Hotel Shanklin
- Clifton Hotel Shanklin
- The Clifton Shanklin, Isle Of Wight