My partner and I have just returned after a 2 night stay at the Clifton. We were in room 4 which has wonderful sea views and a private balcony. The hotel is clearly in the process of being updated. The ground floor, which includes the reception and dining room areas, is very nicely done with tasteful decorations. The newly decorated room 4 was spotlessly clean with an excellent en-suite shower room. We did not take dinner at the hotel but when we left to go out for the evening, the aroma from the kitchen indicated that the meals were in all probability very good. The breakfast could not be faulted, with a wide choice of options to suit all tastes. We were made very welcome on arrival by Graham who made us a pot of tea and then provided a room tray complete with choices of tea, coffee and hot chocolate drinks. Our only very slight criticism was that the balcony could have been a little cleaner - the wall lamps for example were covered with cob webs and the walls needed brushing down. The patterned carpets to the halls and bedroom were dated but very clean, and I would assume their replacement may form part of the refurbishment process.
All in all a very pleasant stay and our thanks to the very friendly staff at the Clifton. By the way, we highly recommend the home made carrot cake.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Clifton's privileged location on the Shanklin cliff top offers an amazing sea view and makes it an ideal retreat for those in search of tranquility. The stunning view of Shanklin bay can be enjoyed from the lounge and bar, where light meals are available all day. We also cater for gluten free diets. In the award winning cliff top garden you can also take advantage of the fabulous sea view, warm Isle of Wight sunshine, wonderful sea air, and refreshments from the licensed bar. Local is Best……with prime farming land all around us and a host of specialist growers and producers making the most of it, we usually have access to plenty of fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables, as well as quality fish and meat. The garden opens out to Keats Green and the lovely walk between Shanklin and Sandown (part of the Isle of Wight Coastal Path) with fantastic views across Sandown Bay. This also leads to the famous Shanklin Chine with a pathway down to the sandy beaches. Within easy reach by foot are the picturesque Shanklin Old Village with its thatched roofs, and the beautiful Rylstone Gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your The Clifton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Clifton Hotel Shanklin
- Clifton Hotel Shanklin
- The Clifton Shanklin, Isle Of Wight