“Lovely B&B near the Sea!”
Review of Ferncliff Hotel

Ferncliff Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shanklin
Ferncliff Hotel
Ranked #44 of 51 Shanklin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed at the Ferncliff Hotel for four nights at half term. We'd chosen it as one of a very few on the Island which offered suitable accommodation for a family of five. It was perfect - we had a lovely double room with en suite and archway through to the children's room with three beds. The rooms were very clean and bright and the girls' room had a sea view. Ann was really friendly, giving us helpful tips on where to go and what to see. The breakfasts were great and set you up for the day! Shanklin is a good base and we managed to visit all parts of the Island easily. It was our first visit to the Isle of Wight and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank DaviesFamily29

Reviewed 17 August 2010

This was our second stay at the Ferncliff. Another great weekend staying in a great hotel. The rooms are really nicely decorated, very clean and very comfortable, and the most amazing balcony/terrace with view straight out to sea. A couple of friends were staying in the next room so we had a bottle of wine sitting on the balcony before going off to dinner. Fantastic! Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

2  Thank Lesley H
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We found this little gem of a guest house through Yell.com at pretty much the last minute. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. ~The location was fanatastic, our room was clean, the bathroom was spotless. Our host was very friendly, very knowledgeable and above all very proud to be a islander. If you want a good value guest house and aren't expecting and wanting the Ritz, this could be for you. we'd go back.

2  Thank Shocky1710
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I have stayed here twice, both times with partner and the second time also with teenage grandson, who loved it. Annie, the owner, is a lovely, friendly, switched-on lady. Her sense of style informs the rooms which are charming, airy and perfectly clean. My partner has allergies to dust and various microbes but had no trouble at at all during the stay, which proves the cleanliness of the room. The wooden floors in the rooms helps this, too. The location is excellent, giving lovely sea views from a beautiful veranda which runs around the first floor of the guest house. It is lovely to be able to walk down to the sea for an early morning swim before breakfast and/or to watch the sun rise over the sea. Really comfortable beds, too, with spotless linen - we all slept like logs! The guest house is located very close to Old Shanklin and also to a marvellous lift which takes you up from the esplanade to the cliff top, for a scenic walk to some excellent restaurants in the old town in the evening - particularly recommended are Pavarotti's and the Old Village. Annie cooks a lovely breakfast. Wholeheartedly recommend this place, my only misgiving being that if too many people get to know about it we may not be able to get a booking when we next want one! I have already recommended the Ferncliff to friends and my partner and I are planning to book for another short stay in October.

1  Thank JaneStableford
Reviewed 12 May 2010

I have never written any review, as I did not have time to do so. This time, I would like to leave my comment on the Trip advisor, as I do not want you be disppointed like we did.

We have stayed there for a few days in Spring, the room was cold, the heating was off. We have asked the owner to kindly give us some heating around 5 pm before we came back to the hotel, when we came back, the heating was off :P, everywhere is as cold as outdoor, even worse to some extent, as we are not moving around much to generate the heat.

We were not able to have shower, as it is too cold to get the cloth off. At night, we thought we can have the heating, as we have swtiched on by ourselves with permission, however, it has been switched off by someone at night, I did not realize till when I was up for the loo, it was so cold, i touched the radiators, it was cold as ice. We are the only guests at that time in the whole accommodation. I am not sure why the owner has done that, we paid our accommodation as the pre agreed price, no bargin, no negotiation, it is rediculous to be treated in that way, my hubby was too cold to move on bed, as the space between us on bed was too cold :). The only reason we went to live in the hotel , simply because we would like to be in a warm place. Or we would like advantures, such as camping.

The shower is like the typical British rain, drizzling... while I have nothing to say about it, I just hope the heating can be switched on when we really suffer from the cold weather with the price we paid and the title we have been called as guests who bring money and business to the local business...

Moreover,the room's curtain is very thin ,we do not even to use the room light at night, as the road light works out what we need sadly :P

Some more about the room, the TV has 3 jumping channels with the angle you only can see it when you are in bed, however, the bed is very cold, as I have explained previously.

Last but not least, the breakfast, I have read they would supply healthy breakfast, I expect some simon or lean meat, however, there is no choice, it is not even an English breakfast, only one stripe of backon, 1 little tomato halved,one fried eye. On request, you maybe lucky to have some beans and cereal, we were too hungry in the morning, i have to go to the local shop to get some yogurt to top up.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank applejane
Reviewed 22 August 2009

First impressions weren't brilliant as it is set under the cliffs but once inside and shown our room (beautifully decorated and appointed) and the veranda/balcony we were more than pleased and felt it was a good result.
Annie, the owner and host, was always at hand to help and for a friendly chat and cooks a great breakfast. We'll definitely be returning.
Shanklin esplanade is a traditional English seaside resort with a nice beach and the usual attractions (gift shops, arcades, putting, crazy golf) plus some good pubs serving good food. There's an excellent coastal path to walk or run to neighbouring Sandown and beyond.
Shanklin town has all the amenities you need and it's a good place to easily get to anywhere else on the Island.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tripouts
Reviewed 14 July 2009

just spent a few days at the ferncliff hotel in glorious sunshine.the hotel was very nice,the room had a large veranda with exellant sea view.the beach is just afew meters walk.i left wanting to stay longer.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple