Shanklin Hotel
US$209
US$194
US$103
US$91
The Channel View Hotel(Shanklin)
US$148
US$144
Travelocity
All reviewsalfa travelsea viewalfa coachshort mat bowlsdining roomcoach partiesrestaurant staffisle of wightolder generationgood sizeswimming poolmeal timestable tennisreception staffself drivegreat entertainmentevening entertainment
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at the Shanklin Hotel from Monday 13th to Friday 17th Aug on a coach holiday. We had an excellent time and couldn't find any fault with the Hotel
The initial arrival with our cases being brought in and tea and coffee available in the lounge and info re meal times. Although meal times were set for evenings at 7.00pm and breakfast at 8.30am, we didn't have to wait that long to be served by extremely good, polite and friendly waiting staff. As there were 2 other coaches staying at the same time as us seperate times seemed a very sensible option. We had to sit at the same table each time but we became very friendly with the couple on our table.Our bedroom was large, comfortable and very clean and we did have a sea view.
I know you won't please everyone, but as far as we were concerned we were very pleased with our stay and would recommend the Shanklin Hotel to anyone.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank richard_forryan
Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am glad you had an excellent time with us and that you enjoyed the friendly staff and your room. We would love to welcome you back again in the future to enjoy another holiday!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

booked this hotel for a 10 night stay on b/bem. hotel very clean; reception staff friendly; waiting staff efficient; but when i made reasonable requests for my evening meal i came across a chef who would not provide; I requested a fruit salad for starter (no other starter was to my taste)chef said no (even though this was on menu for desert) I asked for no butter on my potatoes(was told no as they were cooked in butter; manager told me to let reception know before 5 pm if i needed any thing different;(i was only asking not to have butter or sauce added to veg) did this but no most days requests were ignored; I even asked for garden peas but once again chef said no; one day another chef was on duty and he provided plain veg as I requested ; I was a paying guest who was made to feel I was in the wrong for wanting a simple change to menu; what about the customer is always right! This spoilt my stay at this hotel

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am pleased you found the hotel clean and the restaurant and reception team friendly and efficient. It is a shame that you were disappointed by the chef and the food on offer - as I'm sure you would agree, there is a good amount of choice available each day and normally our kitchen staff are as helpful and flexible as they can be. The Head Chef is very proud of our food and I know he is disappointed that you left feeling this way. I hope in the future you will visit us again at the Shanklin Hotel.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

I joined a coach party staying at the Shanklin Hotel, Shanklin, Isle of Wight from 13th August to 17th August 2012. I found the hotel and our bedroom to be very clean and the staff were very obliging and friendly. The light above my bed was not working, I reported this to reception and it was fixed the following day. The food was good but we were the last table to be served so we had to wait a long time for the food to arrive.First of all we were told breakfast was 8.00am and we were not allowed in until 8.15am which was to be our time for the following days. We didn't have a choice of table or fellow guests but we were told we had to use the same table every day. Fortunately we knew the folk on our table. I didn't like the live entertainment which started while we were still eating our evening meal. On the Monday night it started very early and the commentary was so loud we couldn't have a conservation around the table and it gave me quite a headache. I felt it shouldn't have been forced on guests who wouldn't normally go to the evening entertainment. It was quite a relief to find out that Wednesday was a "quiet" evening. I have never before experienced the live entertainment being in the dining room while guests are eating their meals. I was glad to leave the table but it also could be heard in the bedrooms. This was the only downside to my staying at this hotel. We didn't have a sea view which was disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kitdel

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and you found the hotel clean and the staff helpful and friendly. It was a shame that you didn't enjoy the evening entertainment but this is an area we are looking at to improve for 2013, so hopefully you may enjoy it more if you decide to return to us on a future trip to the Isle of Wight and the Shanklin Hotel.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

What a great hotel the Shanklin is, last year stayed at a Sandown Hotel that was very bad ,loved the isle so we came back this year, the Shanklin Hotel is of the best standard for its rooms, food that dont come out of the freezer, and the service, all i can say is very well done to all the staff for making our stay a great one.

Room Tip: We stayed in room no.7 nice size room, just a few steps down from reception, sea view if you are tall like me.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am very pleased you had such a great stay and that you loved the room, the food and the service! Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the Shanklin Hotel on a future visit to the Island!

Reviewed 8 August 2012

We had seven nights here,went with a coach party.When we arrive we were welcome by a lovely receptionist,given a cup of coffee,and then shown to our room.When it was time to come down to dinner,which was 1845 promp,not a minute before or after, my wife asked for a table for two but was told by this so called restuarant manager oh no your on a table for five,two elderly gentlemen and the coach driver. we were shown to a table by a stern looking waitress and told this is your table for all week,it would have been nice if she had smiled and been pleasant,but it was obvious to me that she was only friendly to the (private guests).It made us feel like second class guests.The bathroom floor was peeling up where it hadn't been sealed at the edges. Oh then there was breakfast went to go in at 0807 was blocked by this manager and told we are not ready for you yet,although all the tables were laid and ready,and was told to wait in the reception area till they were ready for us.The kingsize bed was very comfortable indeed,although the waterproof sheet underneath was a bit clamy, very nice flat screen telly as well,which was just as well becuase the atmosphere in the starlight room was sending us to sleep,only one show was worth watching all week.Will we be back,Isle of white yes, shanklin hotel NO!!!!

Room Tip: upper floors tend to be a bit on the hot side,try to get a sea view,becuase of the elervation of the hotel they are lovely
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jamieandsue_12
Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed the Isle of Wight and the welcome to the Hotel you received as well as your accommodation. We aim to be a friendly and welcoming hotel who will accommodate our guests needs and I had arranged with your coach driver to be as flexible with seating times as possible in the restaurant. I hope you do return to the Isle of Wight one day and hope that you may also give us another chance to make things right for you.