“Very pleasant stay”

Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
London, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

stayed at the shanklin for bank holiday weekend.
Rooms very clean with all the facilities and more you need. Cleaned every day with change of towels.
The breakfast was really nice with lots to choose from and not greesy at all.
Entertainment in the evening was good.
The carpets and ceiling could do with an update but it really didn't matter to much.
The staff were very helpful.
All in all a very pleasant stay and would go back

Room Tip: Our room over looked the sea a lovely big room comfortable beds and en-suite
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am glad you had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed your room, the breakfast and the entertainment. We hope you will return in the future to enjoy the stunning sea views once again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Wiltshire
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed here as a bowls club tour as a group of around 35 and none of us had a bad word to say for the place.

Our driver dropped us off at our first match at Bembridge and took our bags on to the hotel while we were playing so the porters had taken the luggage to our rooms by the time we arrived. Check in was speedy and efficient and gave us time to freshen up before our evening meal which was timed for 7.30

The first meal of the tour set the tone for the rest of the stay as there was always a varied choice of wholesome food (usually 3 starters, 6-7 mains and 4-5 puddings, plus coffee) served by cheerful and obliging waiting staff.

The only slight fly in the ointment was that the drinks waiter didn't come to us on 2 of the 3 nights.

Breakfast was plentiful with the usual buffet for cereals, yoghurts etc plus cooked to order "full englishes" and plenty of toast, tea and coffee.

All the food was served in a large dining room with full length windows with a view over the bay as far as Culver Down (when it wasn't raining lol)

Rooms were a good size and nicely furnished.

Bar prices were very reasonable for a hotel with a varied selection

Location is good with a footpath virtually at the end of the car park which takes you to the Esplanade very close to the lift to the beach in a couple of minutes. Turning the other way out of the car park takes you into Shanklin in about 5 minutes (although it's a steepish walk back)

Room Tip: Avoid a room at the front, smokers congregate outside and can be chatting late evening
1 Thank nige9359
Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am pleased you and your fellow Bowlers had such a good time and enjoyed your stay. I am pleased you enjoyed the food on offer and that you found the room, bar and location more than adequate. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

just returned from a skills coach holiday must say this hotel was the nicest I have stayed in.The food was excellent a wide range of choices for breakfast and dinner.trevor our waiter couldnt do enough for us he was lovely.The rooms were very clean and spacious with tea making facilities replaced every day.I have been on a few coach holidays and normally we are segregated from other guests with separate menus this was not the case here and we were treated as individuals.The entertainment was ok and the drinks reasonable for a hotel a nice bottle of wine for 14 pounds.The swimming pool is clean but it is cold. ok once you pluck up courage to go in. shanklin itself is lovely although be prepared as it is hilly.if you fancy a trip to ryde go on the train from shanklin station they gave us a deal where 3 of us went with a return ticket for 8pounds (for allof us that is)a word of warning dont go to newport unless you just want to shop nothing much there very dissapointing a waste of a day especially when there are so many more pretty places to visit.I cant wait for skills 2013 catalogue to come out as I will be first in line to book my next holiday at the shanklin!!!

Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2012
Many thanks for reviewing your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am really pleased you had such a good time and thank you for your lovely comments about the food, service and room. I am glad you enjoyed your trip to the Isle of Wight and look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Bristol
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Our side sea view room with comfy kingsize bed wasn't large but it was well laid out & uncluttered. Flat TV was well located so it could be watched from the bed without neck strain The window opened wide onto a lovely view across the coast, it would have been nicer if the flat roof below had a few plants to cheer it up, the 5ltr plastic containers & rope didn't add much. Bathroom was small but again there was plenty of room to hang towels/robes and space for wash bags etc. Shower was a bit weedy but there was plenty of hot water and most importantly the bathroom was very clean plus the bath towels were a decent size for once.

The dining room (starlite room) has lovely sea views, however strange bronze wall art (at odds with the otherwise traditional ambiance) paint work needing touching up, curtains that need lining & a good steam combine with the pre 1970's background music to give a very dated feel - it could be so much nicer, especially considering the food. Freshly cooked, hot and delivered efficiently by very pleasant staff, standard breakfast fare, the poached eggs were very good ( you wouldn't believe how many places can't get that right). Evening meals with a very good choice and some really nice deserts.

We were very lucky the weather was fabulous so we didn't spend much time indoors but the bubble pool was a great place to cool down after being out and about once I worked out where the buttons were. Reception provided the towels which was a nice touch.

Hotel location a short walk from the beach lift was excellent and the beach all that we could ask for.

Special mention for the bar manager who made watching for the 2012 closing ceremony fun, much better watching it in a group than in our individual rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank esewer
Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your room - unfortunately the containers and rope you saw from your room is a temporary arrangement. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the food and the service you received in the restaurant. I have passed on your comments to Sam in the bar, who also had a lot of fun with you and our other guests while watching the closing ceremony. Thank you again for your review and hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the Shanklin Hotel again in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at the Shanklin Hotel from Monday 13th to Friday 17th Aug on a coach holiday. We had an excellent time and couldn't find any fault with the Hotel
The initial arrival with our cases being brought in and tea and coffee available in the lounge and info re meal times. Although meal times were set for evenings at 7.00pm and breakfast at 8.30am, we didn't have to wait that long to be served by extremely good, polite and friendly waiting staff. As there were 2 other coaches staying at the same time as us seperate times seemed a very sensible option. We had to sit at the same table each time but we became very friendly with the couple on our table.Our bedroom was large, comfortable and very clean and we did have a sea view.
I know you won't please everyone, but as far as we were concerned we were very pleased with our stay and would recommend the Shanklin Hotel to anyone.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank richard_forryan
Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am glad you had an excellent time with us and that you enjoyed the friendly staff and your room. We would love to welcome you back again in the future to enjoy another holiday!
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

booked this hotel for a 10 night stay on b/bem. hotel very clean; reception staff friendly; waiting staff efficient; but when i made reasonable requests for my evening meal i came across a chef who would not provide; I requested a fruit salad for starter (no other starter was to my taste)chef said no (even though this was on menu for desert) I asked for no butter on my potatoes(was told no as they were cooked in butter; manager told me to let reception know before 5 pm if i needed any thing different;(i was only asking not to have butter or sauce added to veg) did this but no most days requests were ignored; I even asked for garden peas but once again chef said no; one day another chef was on duty and he provided plain veg as I requested ; I was a paying guest who was made to feel I was in the wrong for wanting a simple change to menu; what about the customer is always right! This spoilt my stay at this hotel

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am pleased you found the hotel clean and the restaurant and reception team friendly and efficient. It is a shame that you were disappointed by the chef and the food on offer - as I'm sure you would agree, there is a good amount of choice available each day and normally our kitchen staff are as helpful and flexible as they can be. The Head Chef is very proud of our food and I know he is disappointed that you left feeling this way. I hope in the future you will visit us again at the Shanklin Hotel.
Wales
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I joined a coach party staying at the Shanklin Hotel, Shanklin, Isle of Wight from 13th August to 17th August 2012. I found the hotel and our bedroom to be very clean and the staff were very obliging and friendly. The light above my bed was not working, I reported this to reception and it was fixed the following day. The food was good but we were the last table to be served so we had to wait a long time for the food to arrive.First of all we were told breakfast was 8.00am and we were not allowed in until 8.15am which was to be our time for the following days. We didn't have a choice of table or fellow guests but we were told we had to use the same table every day. Fortunately we knew the folk on our table. I didn't like the live entertainment which started while we were still eating our evening meal. On the Monday night it started very early and the commentary was so loud we couldn't have a conservation around the table and it gave me quite a headache. I felt it shouldn't have been forced on guests who wouldn't normally go to the evening entertainment. It was quite a relief to find out that Wednesday was a "quiet" evening. I have never before experienced the live entertainment being in the dining room while guests are eating their meals. I was glad to leave the table but it also could be heard in the bedrooms. This was the only downside to my staying at this hotel. We didn't have a sea view which was disappointing.

1 Thank Kitdel
Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and you found the hotel clean and the staff helpful and friendly. It was a shame that you didn't enjoy the evening entertainment but this is an area we are looking at to improve for 2013, so hopefully you may enjoy it more if you decide to return to us on a future trip to the Isle of Wight and the Shanklin Hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Bayshore Hotel
#4 of 52 in Shanklin
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#6 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Shanklin Hotel? Share your experiences!