“Shanklin Hotel 'The Highs and Lows'”
Review of Shanklin Hotel

Shanklin Hotel
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just returned from the Shanklin Hotel, stayed for two nights on a Half Board basis with Ferry included ( Room 71 ). Booked direct with the hotel over the phone. 1st Low - paid more over the phone than the advertised rate on their web site - puzzling? Hard to find with Google maps ( location is about 500m out ) and had to ask several people walking in the street for directions. Check in was smooth and polite girl on the desk. 2nd Low - Room was smaller than our normal semi-detached house double bedroom at home. The room was clean with nice furniture and built in mirrored wardrobes. On closer inspection the carpet was threaded near the bathroom door threshold and the lino on the bathroom floor was not sealed properly around the edges and was dirty under the sink. The black window glazing seals were moldy as were other areas on the windows and above the bath on the wall ceiling junction was some black mold. This was disappointing and showed a lack of attention to detail in the room. The bathroom radiator was also rusty along the bottom. The bed was however comfy and the room was nice and warm. The Hotel has a nice pool , jacuzzi spa and sauna, these were pleasant and a joy to use. The rest of the hotel is dated with green paint / green carpet and dull lighting in the corridors. The dinning room is also dated with a very tatty looking green shade ( should be removed ) between the the dining room and bar. The table stands are tatty around the bases where the paint has been rubbed away by peoples feet. The view is ok but nothing special from the dining room out to the sea. 3rd low - The food was average at best - the starters were ok but obviously pre prepared given the speed of service which was fast. Salad was limp and dry which was disappointing and the fish was tasteless. My worst food experience ever in a hotel had to be the Turkey Curry which I couldnt eat. I guess my fault for thinking a hotel could make a nice curry. The food however was delivered speedily and hot. My wife had the lamb and pork another night which she said wasn't too bad. The vegetables were overcooked and a bit washed out. Overall disappointed by the taste of all the main dishes and the breakfast which seemed dry ( sausages / bacon ). Mushroom and tomatoes were nice. Toast tasted not fresh and slightly stale.The yoghurts were nice. I would recommend avoiding the all inclusive option for food if you have discerning taste buds. Plenty of choice within 5 -10 mins walk of the hotel in local pubs and restaurants. I would also recommend booking the ferry through redfunnel from Southampton or Whightlink from Portsmouth yourself as the hotel are charging an extra £100 pounds for them to book this over the standard Half board rate. You can book the ferry yourself for £45 - £60 if you book an early crossing. The staff were nice and polite throughout our stay. The Hotel is mainly occupied by retired couples and the decor and whole set up is suited perhaps to this age group and not young couples who expect higher standards in terms of execution and value for money nowadays. I wouldnt rave about this hotel like some of the other reviews on Trip advisor. My wife and I have stayed in many hotels all over the world and we would rate our overall experience as an average one at best. The service was good but inflexible, the only hotel I have stayed in that didnt serve hot chocolate. I dont drink tea or coffee but no other option was suggested at dinner for me ( it was just No). Im sad to say we will not be recommending the Shanklin Hotel to our friends and family but we did have high hopes reading the previous reviews on here before our stay. Art Deco building on the outside with dated interior in need of serious modernisation in the majority of the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul G
Graeme P, Manager at Shanklin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Many thanks for your review of your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. I am glad that on the whole you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be nice and polite. However one or two points in your review require a little clarification. The advertised rate on the website is a bed and breakfast rate only, whereas when you telephoned the hotel, you were quoted a dinner, bed and breakfast rate including return car ferry.

I am sorry you failed to enjoy the food on offer - we receive many, many compliments regarding food at the hotel so it is obviously unfortunate when we do not satisfy everyone.

Finally, I can confirm that the hotel does not charge an "extra" £100 for booking the car ferry, the price difference on your quotation was made up from what you had requested upon booking, i.e. inclusive dinners, ferry, room requests etc.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The hotel was extremely dated and smelled like an old people's home. Most of the people staying there did appear to be over 60, so elderly guests may like it more.

There is a bar - the "starlight rooms". The entertainment was like something off of Peter Kay's Phoenix nights... which at least gave us something to laugh about.

The breakfast was the worse aspect. There were a number of available tables next to the window. We asked both mornings if we could sit there but thet said they were reserved... although we were unable to reserve them. It became apparent that they just didn't want to relay the table. We ordered scrambled eggs on the first morning which I couldn't actually eat they were so horrible. It seemed like they used more milk than eggs and my plate was swimming in water. The second day we decided not to bother with anything cooked. The choice was tinned fruit and stale cereal. That morning I had to ask for a cup of tea 4 times before getting one. I had finished my breakfast before I got any tea.

Most of the staff seemed to be Polish and didn't have a great knowledge of the local area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katie F

Many thanks for your review of your stay at the Shanklin Hotel. It is a shame you were unable to enjoy your visit and take advantage of the fantastic food on offer. Our Head Chef is always keen to listen to feedback and indeed requests so it is disappointing to read that on your second day you decided not to try anything cooked.

Finally, many of our staff, Polish and otherwise live locally and so could have provided island information had they been asked to.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Shanklin hotel for 5days in April,the hotel is very well run we toured the island stopped at Alum bay,Ryde,Cowes,Yarmouth these are quaint little places,Shanklin itself is nice not very big ,pubs the village inn far side of town bit pricey but very nice, atmosphere good!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emmy1955

Thank you for your 'flying visit' to the Shanklin Hotel in April and for taking the time to write a review. The island is a lovely place with many interesting and beautiful villages and towns to visit! We hope to see you again in the future for another visit.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed here last year and found it a lovely hotel, staff very friendly food good, entertainment
ok rooms clean, lift to all floors, nice walk along cliff top into shanklin, and not far to walk to shanklin old village.

Room Tip: rooms on south side quiet, but don't go for crescent room an lower ground floor very small and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DorothyS2012

Thank you for your review of your stay last year at the Shanklin Hotel - I'm glad you found everything to be excellent and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

For our third year running we joined fellow car owners for our annual meet at the Shanklin Hotel and as always the hotel provided exactly what was required. With some 120+ people to deal with, the staff were absolutely fantastic. The rooms were clean, comfortable and very well serviced. The food at every sitting was superb with a brilliant choice and always served hot and excellently presented. With a lovely warm pool, jacuzzi and sauna the ability to relax also scored very highly. Situated on the cliff top above Shanklin beach the hotel is a short but energetic walk to the sea front. We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will return again next year.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor above the leisure suite tend to be the quietest
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review of your stay at the Caterham weekend in April. I'm glad you all had such a great time and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back in 2015!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Yet again the Lotus 7 club filled the hotel to the brim, and we all had a fantastic time there. I think that we had about 180 people there for the evening meal, and the food was served very fast and tasted really good. This was the forth year that we all went there, and I am all ready looking forward to next year.
Well done to all of the staff, you did a great job.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your review of another fantastic weekend! The weather was great too for this one. Look forward to next year!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed at Shanklin Hotel 28th - 30th March with my boyfriend. I booked via phone with great customer service and got a great deal!
We had return ferry, 3 course dinner and breakfast each day and night and 2 nights stay for £200!!
I pre-warned them that I am intolerant to wheat and only eat wheatfree food. I was shocked and overwhelmed that they catered to my dietary requirement 100%! I had my own personalised wheatfree menu for dinner and gluten/wheatfree bread for breakfast. I found that IOW was great for gluten/wheat free choices to be honest.
All round the food was nice and the waitering service was very prompt!

The room was lovely (but a little warm), good size, TV, usual coffee tea facilities and toiletries.

The location was perfect (turn left and you are at the sea front, turn right, 5-10 min walk and it will take you to the new/old town).

We used the swimming pool and used the hotel towels from reception and we used the sauna.

I recommend this hotel to anyone and I would also advise to call the hotel for a quote first, as I got it cheaper than online.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zaranorthampton

Many thanks for your lovely review of your stay! We always do our best to look after all of our guests and our chef is always keen for all guests to enjoy his food. We hope to see you again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Channel View Hotel
#37 of 51 in Shanklin
Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
#45 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Shanklin Hotel? Share your experiences!