All reviews alfa travel alfa coach sea view short mat bowls coach parties isle of wight restaurant staff good size pool and jacuzzi self drive reception staff meal times table tennis great entertainment breakfast and dinner piping hot lovely hotel
Reviewed 18 June 2014

stayed 5 nights with coach party .very comfortable stay very pleasant helpful staff ,vegetarian menu was a little basic but otherwise good food would definitely stay again but would ask for sea view room .The entertainment was a little dated but nice seating areas around foyer where you could sit and chat. Hotel very near to sea nice to have a stroll after evening meal .

Room tip: would have liked a sea view, could here entertainment above our room, and large tree outside window,
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed at Shanklin Hotel last week with a group of 36 friends. Overall the hotel rated highly on food, accommodation, staff helpfulness - The best night entertainment is the Nostalgia Night - a real hoot and some lovely memories recalled. As we all holiday together frequently, and use these holidays as a chance to catch up on news, we did find the 'policy' of having to sit at same table with same people for every meal, defeated this purpose.
Totally understand why this is done when coaches are made up of people who are strangers - but no flexibility ???
Do take care if you have room with step into bathroom - I managed very nicely to cope with this until last day & then fell full length......I am sure people in room below must have thought ceiling about to cave in !!!.
Hotel was very helpful for the one couple with mobility problems, giving them a room with 'wet room' shower.
We were extremely lucky with the weather, so it was a shame that there is no outside sitting area to relax and enjoy sunshine. That said, we were lucky that out and about every day -

Room tip: Ask for one without step into bathroom !!
1  Thank Christine S
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for four 4 nights June 2nd to June 6th 2014. It is a really comfortable hotel in an enviable elevated position. All the staff were very helpful but I must say the restaurant staff certainly raised the profile of this hotel. The food was exceptionally good for the amount of people who were being catered for at breakfast and evening meal. The evening entertainment was ok but nothing special. The entertainment was geared around the average age of the guests.
The only negative I could say is that I paid extra for a sea view which was exceptional but outside the hotel was a building site which slightly marred the experience for me.

Room tip: Our room was F on the first floor but as I said building site opposite
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in May with a party of friends. I was sharing a room with another lady, no relation, to help with minimising our accommodation costs. However we encountered a problem when we asked for two keys to our room and to run two separate accounts as we really did not want to pay for each others entertainment! The answer, quite brusquely, NO WAY. I found this annoying and although I had been told the Isle of Wight was like living in past years this attitude seemed to be like a bit too long ago! I could just about accept that their computer system could not run two accounts on one room - surely it could have been upgraded over the years - but not being able to have two keys to a room I found very strange! Another unusual layout was that the evening entertainment took place in the dining room and one had to sit all night at the dining table to watch it and not in the comfort of the large and well stocked bar next door. Having said that our room was clean and comfortable, although it was on the lower ground floor and we had to pass the laundary and storage area to access it. The bathroom was dated but served its purpose. The one redeeming feature was the food and the service from the staff in the dining room all of whom were pleasant and the standard of the food was certainly higher than one would expect from a pretty average establishment.

Date of stay: May 2014
Reviewed 9 June 2014

On arriving at the Shanklin Hotel checking in and going to our roomevery thing just got better and better. Friendly and helpful staff. Very clean and tidy room.
Every meal excellent with different menu each night. Restaurant staff quick and friendly, very good nightly entertainment.
Will definitely stay in the Shanklin again.
FIVE STARS.