Ocean View Hotel
US$194
US$103
US$91
Travelocity
The Channel View Hotel(Shanklin)
US$148
US$145
Hotels.com
All reviewssnooker roomrobinsons holidayscoach holidaydriver paulindoor bowlscoach partiesthe cliffmeal timesisle of wighttable tennisdining roomswimming poolpremier roomduty managerroom was largeolder generationevening meal
Reviewed 2 March 2011

My partner and myself have just returned from a 5 day break at this hotel with Robinson coaches and from the moment we turned up at the entrance the staff were on hand to help us , our cases were in our room in double quick time all done with a smile from the young lads who were doing this, we had a lovely warm welcome from the reception staff and this continued all through our holiday from dining room staff to bar staff , everyone was pleasant and always on hand to help.
Our room had a wonderful sea view with a balcony and was huge so plenty of room to spread out , the bathroom was also spacious with bath and shower altho' the hot water did take a while to come through it was not a problem .
The meals were good and adequate portions ,plus a free glass of wine with your evening meal, the staff limited in numbers worked very hard to serve us so hats off to them, they could do with more help .
The dining room manager was also very pleasant and always had time for a chat and wasnt scared of rolling his sleeves up and helping .
The entertainment was low key but good especially Tony Foxx a comedian with a great voice and a chap who stood in for another artist cant remember his name , he played country along with 1950's music , great nostalgia .
The bar manager Les was good fun, always smiling and ready to serve, he did the bingo a couple of nights and the young girl was also lovely and cheerful, altho' I do forget her name .
There is also a kidney shaped swimming pool, steam room and sauna all great for unwinding after being out on the trips and further down the basement the bowls and table tennis room which I must add is freezing down there could do with some sort of heating, also not good for people with limited disability as there is no lift and its a long way down and you need to come back up , I myself took it slowly due to having asthma but managed it .
We have re booked this hotel for December and look forward to going back for a pre christmas break and no doubt will go back again in 2012 .
A big thankyou to Robinsons and all the staff at the Ocean View.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Myra H
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We have just tried a week at this hotel, we found all the staff, from cleaners to management polite and helpful. The food was ok. The rooms were clean. The down side, the mattress was a bit hard and the shower had an irregular pressure. The shower problem was reported to the management. The recreational facilities that were used were excellent and we would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CowsHolidays
Reviewed 6 February 2011

We visited the Ocean View in February 2011 on our annual pub outing. This was the first time we had been “offshore” so to speak. On arrival, we were all greeted and booking in was speeded up by the staff allowing us to complete our registration cards away from the reception and return after dinner. All our bags were unloaded from the coach and taken to all the rooms. In that we had a 52 seat coach, this was no mean feat!

Our room, although not with a sea view, was adequate, clean and suited us as a couple. My only criticism was that due to the extremely high winds, the windows did whistle a bit in the night!

The bar suited most tastes, although there is no real ale. Worthington Smooth, Carling Lager etc. was OK and not over-priced. The Restaurant is very good and all the meals we had were served up quickly and on hot plates. The waiters were very attentive and professional in their service.

Entertainment on Friday & Saturday nights suited the people there.

If we go to the Isle of Wight again, we’ll certainly look at the Ocean View again.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank pete6673
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Stayed here for New Year everything was first class except for poor management who failed to take control of a disturbing incident
The only negative was another guest who we were placed to sit with for meals; her behaviour left a lot to be desired.
I and a lot of others who stayed at the ocean view were appalled by the failure of the duty manager who failed to act when a holidaymaker who was drunk, acted in a disgusting and abusive manner, in that having had a number of complaints about the conduct of a holidaymaker the duty manager failed to act, which resulted in many having their enjoyment curtailed.
I shall explain, on being seated for our evening meal on the first night at a table with another couple, we enjoyed a nice meal and they seemed good company, so much so they joined us in the bar later in the evening.
During dinner the following evening it was easy to see that this couple had had fall out whilst he seemed sober she was a little tipsy
In the evening they joined us at our table in the ballroom, it was obvious to us the lady had had a few more drinks, she started to argue with her husband as he said she needed to go to the room to sleep it off, this went on for around 15 minutes then the husband stood up and said he was leaving and would leave the key in the door for her to get in.
When the bingo began she started to become disruptive to those on the surrounding tables, at one point someone on a nearby table said to my wife and I you need to control her, to which I reacted that she was not with us.
After the bingo when the artist started she became loud and embarrassing to the artist and his wife, people in the ballroom came to our table insisting we take her back to her room once again we said she is not with us.
She then told us that she had been a Go-Go dancer in the seventies and was threatening to take off her top and go back on the dance floor.
At this we thought we had better do something, so we left the ballroom to seek out her husband to inform him about his partner.
As we were leaving the ballroom people were saying don’t leave her here take her with you once again we replied she was not with us.
We found his room and told him about what was happening he said he would go down and try to get her to leave.
We went to our room is was 9-40 waited till ten then went back to the ballroom, only to discover she was still there and still acting the same so we went to see the duty manager to inform her of what was happening.
When we spoke with the duty manager the first reaction from her was we have had about four other complaints about her and we are aware that she has been drinking most of the day, unfortunately there is nothing I can do while she is in that state.
We said if she could do nothing that we did not want to be seated with this couple for future meals.
I did not want to argue the point further with the duty manager about this disruptive guest, so our only choice was not to go and enjoy the entertainment in the ballroom but instead go to our room and watch TV.
The following day on going down for breakfast we found we had been re seated but away from the rest of our coach party in isolation in a corner, which we felt was like the naughty corner you put a child in for bad behaviour, this we found embarrassing and humiliating, there were no other guest nearby to chat to as the other guests were on different meal times. In all our life’s we have never been made to feel as bad as we did by being moved, why could the troublemaker not have been removed rather than us
During the day quite a number of guests came to my wife and I to ask how our friend was and then went on to tell us that after we had decided to leave her in the ballroom, she went worse and that she had even started an argument with the quiz setter who was giving out the answerers to the Quiz.
Some of the remarks we encountered by other guests were hurtful towards us but once we managed to explain it was accepted that we were the victims’ and not with this disruptive person who was causing problems.

The following morning I asked to speak with the hotel’s general manager only to be told he was not in.
Around lunch time I spoke again with the duty manager and again requested to see the hotel manager only to be told he was not there. I told her that if I could not speak to the hotel manager I would write to the Holdsworth hotel complaints department, and informed her we had not paid almost £600.00 to be deprived of part of our break due to her failings, I said I would take whatever course of action I had to seek redress.
On the second time of asking to see the General manager I was then informed that there just happened to be a director of Holdsworth hotels in the hotel and he would meet with us if we liked we said we would be pleased to do so.
Later we met with a director he said the duty manager had filled him in on some of the background, we went over everything that had happened he said he was already aware that a number of complaints had been made.
I expressed that I was dissatisfied with the way the issue had been dealt with by the duty manager the previous evening; I explained that I had worked in the Hotel industry and was fully aware on how to deal with a disruptive guest.
I went on to explain that the Duty manager should have asked a member of staff to tell he drunken guest she was wanted at reception and on getting her to reception then taken took her into an office and spoke with her, insisting she went to her room or to leave the hotel if she had argued, she should have then warned her she had no other alternative than to call a police officer and have her removed as she was disturbing other guests.
The director said the person in question would be spoken to and observed for the rest of her stay and that she was not to be served drinks.
I had thought someone would have asked us before we left how everything had gone since speaking with the director, but no one did, had they done so I would have informed them that despite assurances given that she would not be allowed to buy drinks. Then how was it this guest again appeared drunk, and was drinking a lot the following two nights

Our break was spoiled by weak management who failed to protect their guests as laid out in their charter
Since coming home I wrote in to Robinsons coach holidays Managing director but four weeks on and no response
It says a lot when no response was forthcoming

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank dragfoot
Reviewed 31 December 2010

we have jus returned from a self drive holiday staying at the ocean view hotel over christmas and i could not fault it one bit,
from previous revies i wonderd if i was staying at the same hotel.
frome check in with luggage being taken to the rooom whic was large and with good views , to the dinning room where nothing was to much trouble and things were s offerd above and beond what was on the menu.and the portions were of a resonable size and there was no shortage of food being offerd over the entire period whilst there.
yo the good and varied entertainment provided each night..
and every where there were trays of fruit and tins of chochaltes in bar and in reception area i thought everything had been thought through. even to advertising about the outside entertainment in shanklin.
well doone to all the staff there , i enjoyed it so much am returning in the summer.

a very happy visitor and will try there other hotels if they of this standard

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo