“Shanklin I-O-W” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Shanklin
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Shanklin I-O-W”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

We went on a Tinsel and Turkey 7 day trip dated 10th December and found the hotel to be well run with good food, clean rooms, good evening entertainment and friendly staff. The hotel is able to cope with peoples dietry needs. We were told by the maitre-de to ask for more food if we required it, as most people thought the amount served was adequate this was normally accepted.We had a room on the first floor facing the sea which had a panaramic window with a wonderful view. The nightly entertainment was always live music and very good, with different artists, which in a small hotel is unusual. We will definately go again.

Room Tip: 1st floor sea view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank john w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

We went to the Ocean View Hotel end of November . We were given room 126 which was as per
previous comments awful dull dark no hot water and a terrible humming noise all night. This room should not be used. However we went to complain the next morning and the reception seemed to know and offered us a much better room altogether and we then really enjoyed the
rest of our break . The food was excellent the staff very good and the location of the Hotel is great
and we are thinking of going there again.
I am concerned however that the management are still using some poor rooms which are just
not good enough .

Pat and Jeff London
to

Room Tip: I am rating this only after I moved to a better room
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Patricia G
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

Just back from an interesting holiday here.
Travelling as part of a coach holiday I felt I was treated as a second class citizen.
When I complained about an aspect of the holiday that I felt was bad, a member of staff replied...'Well I won't go on these kind of holidays...even when I'm old'.
That told me then!!!!!!

The good part for me was the wonderful view from the room.
I could wake to a beautiful sea view.
The room was spacious and clean...and had hot water.
I mention this as a bonus because other rooms had to run taps for ten minutes before hot water came through!

Food on the whole was reasonable.
Portions were small but adequate. If you stand up for yourself the staff are willing to oblige. If you don't, you get what you are given.
There aren't enough staff on so the waiters are rushed off their feet trying to cope...but cope they do, in a polite way.

The public rooms are kept at a temperature that is lower than anyone should expect...and very draughty. They have the occasional tiny portable heater dotted around the place. It's not good when guests have to rush to get a table near a heater.

Don't expect the pool to be in use...it hasn't been open for months.
You get a letter telling you they have a problem.
This seems to be a 'we have no intention of fixing it' problem!

Basically, a hotel that is going to plod along with little intention of improving...because they know coach parties will continue to arrive.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a wonderful view and good water temp.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jjctay
Salford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

Just spent a week in room 212 at the Ocean View on a Robinson's tour. Warm, spacious twin room for my daughter and myself, plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, generous tea/coffee allowance in the room. (Mentioned to housekeeping that we prefer decaff - immediately replaced).
Bathroom was again a decent size but with minimal shelving, no hook for bathrobe or clothes and a shower that we couldn't control the temperature - had baths instead.
Nice dining room, mostly good quality meals (portions a little on the small side but you can ask for more), efficient service and friendly, helpful staff. We were asked to choose our evening meal at breakfast but that wasn't too bad and helped eliminate long delays at dinner.
We only experienced the evening entertainment a couple of times but enjoyed what we saw.
Quite a few stairs to negotiate (we left the lift for the other elderly guests - only holds 4 anyway) and didn't sleep too well - not the hotel's fault, just a strange bed - but all in all a good week, nice clean hotel, friendly staff but the daily highlight was sitting on the balcony having a brew, looking at the ships in the Channel - well worth the price of the upgrade.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Nuttynana05
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

I was delighted with the exra care and attention the hotel management and staff gave my over 60,s club as we spent a long weekend there, they could not have been any more helpful kind and pleasent as they were. it was enjoyable. the only thing my elderly found a little difficult was they found there were too many stairs to climb on the corridiors, other than that a fantastic weekend, food and entertainment was great also.

Room Tip: my room was facing the sea, it was the most awesome view you could wake up too and at night hearing...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Donna S
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

I went on a bus trip with friends. The organiser of my trip had e-mailed the hotel to say I needed a walk in shower because of a temporary disability. When I got there and found I had a bath I asked to change my room which eventually happened. Room 126a had a walk in shower but that was all there was to commend it. It was very tired, dull and dingy. I had to keep the light on all the time I was in there even during the day. It overlooked sheds and fire escapes. the hot water took about 10mins to come through and even then there was not much of it. There was a constant buzzing noise which meant sleep was difficult. I kept my television on low all night to try to block it out. I worked out the room was probably above the kitchens or the bar where fans were left on. This room should only be used as a store room. Food was adequate and quite nice. The staff were nice and friendly and my room was clean. I paid approx £260 pounds for this trip for 5 days and did not feel I got value for my money. I liked the Isle of Wight and would go there again but not to this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid room 126a like the plague. Its tired dull and dingy. Also there is a continuous buzzing noise...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fay R
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

We've just returned from a week long stay at the Ocean View and found it most enjoyable. Our room was warm and large with more wardrobe space than we've had in many other hotels and it was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was very nice with lots of shelving for our toiletries but the bath and shower were not at the usual wall end of the bath which led to water sometimes pooling on the floor so care had to be taken. The food was good with decent sized portions and a reasonable number of choices and the dining room staff were friendly and extremely well organised. We did find it a little strange being asked to choose our evening meal at breakfast-time but, I suppose with the hotel being so busy, it did help things run smoothly and efficiently in the evening. The Ocean View is in a good location in Shanklyn and we would certainly go back again

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kargo1340
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#6 of 54 in Shanklin
Trouville Hotel
Trouville Hotel
#3 of 31 in Sandown

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!