“Great Location but looking a bit tired”
Review of Ocean View Hotel

Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
London, England
“Great Location but looking a bit tired”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights as part of an organised Square Dance weekend, as I did last year.
The Hotel is showing signs of its age but having said that my room (139) was well appointed with the balcony overlooking the car park. The furniture was adequate and the bed very comfortable and I slept very well. The restaurant is very pleasant, having been re-arranged since last year and the food choice very good and although the portions were not that large I found it adequate.
As we were providing our own entertainment, that aspect was splendid. I believe that our organiser has booked again for next year on the basis that we get very good value for the price.
If I was seeking accommodation in this area whilst traveling alone, I'd have no qualms about booking into the Ocean View.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 5 night holiday with Robinson's coach trip. Lovely hotel, all public facilities has just refurbished, they have just had a new heating system run by bio-mass, which they were tweaking, to get it perfect, most rooms were warm, and certainly the public rooms. Meals very good and the staff very helpful.
The hotel was clean, we upgraded to a sea view, large bedroom with a double and a single bed, lots of wardrobe space, Although more coat hangers would have been grateful, but I suppose I should have asked for more
Very large bathroom, with lots of space to put cosmetics.
I required a electric scooter and the hotel were very helpful, and gave me phone number of a hire company, and the hotel sorted it out

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Maggie W
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We stayed there last year with a coach trip by Robinson s, adequate hotel, we paid for a sea view and would recommend this.
The hotel had a pool, snooker table and games room.The only down side was the evening entertainment which was quite poor.
Overall a very good stay for the price we paid.
A lot of people complained that you have to pick your evening meal the day before, that didn't bother us at all.

Room Tip: pay for a sea view room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank WilsonFamilyBury
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We went on a Tinsel and Turkey 7 day trip dated 10th December and found the hotel to be well run with good food, clean rooms, good evening entertainment and friendly staff. The hotel is able to cope with peoples dietry needs. We were told by the maitre-de to ask for more food if we required it, as most people thought the amount served was adequate this was normally accepted.We had a room on the first floor facing the sea which had a panaramic window with a wonderful view. The nightly entertainment was always live music and very good, with different artists, which in a small hotel is unusual. We will definately go again.

Room Tip: 1st floor sea view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank john w
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We went to the Ocean View Hotel end of November . We were given room 126 which was as per
previous comments awful dull dark no hot water and a terrible humming noise all night. This room should not be used. However we went to complain the next morning and the reception seemed to know and offered us a much better room altogether and we then really enjoyed the
rest of our break . The food was excellent the staff very good and the location of the Hotel is great
and we are thinking of going there again.
I am concerned however that the management are still using some poor rooms which are just
not good enough .

Pat and Jeff London
to

Room Tip: I am rating this only after I moved to a better room
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Patricia G
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Just back from an interesting holiday here.
Travelling as part of a coach holiday I felt I was treated as a second class citizen.
When I complained about an aspect of the holiday that I felt was bad, a member of staff replied...'Well I won't go on these kind of holidays...even when I'm old'.
That told me then!!!!!!

The good part for me was the wonderful view from the room.
I could wake to a beautiful sea view.
The room was spacious and clean...and had hot water.
I mention this as a bonus because other rooms had to run taps for ten minutes before hot water came through!

Food on the whole was reasonable.
Portions were small but adequate. If you stand up for yourself the staff are willing to oblige. If you don't, you get what you are given.
There aren't enough staff on so the waiters are rushed off their feet trying to cope...but cope they do, in a polite way.

The public rooms are kept at a temperature that is lower than anyone should expect...and very draughty. They have the occasional tiny portable heater dotted around the place. It's not good when guests have to rush to get a table near a heater.

Don't expect the pool to be in use...it hasn't been open for months.
You get a letter telling you they have a problem.
This seems to be a 'we have no intention of fixing it' problem!

Basically, a hotel that is going to plod along with little intention of improving...because they know coach parties will continue to arrive.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a wonderful view and good water temp.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jjctay
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Just spent a week in room 212 at the Ocean View on a Robinson's tour. Warm, spacious twin room for my daughter and myself, plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, generous tea/coffee allowance in the room. (Mentioned to housekeeping that we prefer decaff - immediately replaced).
Bathroom was again a decent size but with minimal shelving, no hook for bathrobe or clothes and a shower that we couldn't control the temperature - had baths instead.
Nice dining room, mostly good quality meals (portions a little on the small side but you can ask for more), efficient service and friendly, helpful staff. We were asked to choose our evening meal at breakfast but that wasn't too bad and helped eliminate long delays at dinner.
We only experienced the evening entertainment a couple of times but enjoyed what we saw.
Quite a few stairs to negotiate (we left the lift for the other elderly guests - only holds 4 anyway) and didn't sleep too well - not the hotel's fault, just a strange bed - but all in all a good week, nice clean hotel, friendly staff but the daily highlight was sitting on the balcony having a brew, looking at the ships in the Channel - well worth the price of the upgrade.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Nuttynana05
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Channel View Hotel
#4 of 29 in Sandown
The Clifton
The Clifton
#2 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!