“Excellent value for money”
Review of Ocean View Hotel

Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Recently returned from a 5 day trip to The Ocean View, with Robinsons coaches. I am probably much younger than the average guest at this hotel, and took my mother who has mobility issues and also my 2 pre teen children. I was a little unsure, before travelling, as to the wisdom of taking children on this type of holiday. However, my fears were groundless and they had a wonderful time. Although, this is not what I would generally call a family hotel the staff and coach staff went out of their way to accomodate them. Although they did not publish a children's menu they did make meals to their liking, on request.
The room that we had was huge, yes a little tired and in need of updating, but then so do many hotels. The bathroom was also very spacious. Room was serviced daily. We had a huge balcony with a spectacular view, as I said "Now that is what I call a sea view". No hanging out of the window with a pair of binoculars to see the sea 3 miles away.
The food and entertainment is geared towards the older end of the market, however, I think a holiday is what you make it. We had an excellent time and the value for money was OUTSTANDING.
I would most certainly return.

Room Tip: Sea view worth the extra ( which was only £40 for the whole stay)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 August 2013

My neighbour and I have just returned from an 8 day holiday in Shanklin, Isle of Wight with Robinsons Coaches. Never been to Isle of Wight before but we are definitely planning another visit. When we arrived in our room, we had a small basket of fruit waiting for us together with plenty of mineral water plus the usual tea and coffee making facilities. We paid an extra cost for an upgraded room and were rewarded with a ground flr room overlooking the English Channel & Solent with superb views. French windows opened out onto a small terrace (with wooden table & chairs) over looking the sea. Because we were lucky with very warm weather we were able to sit on our terrace and watch the the sun rising with our morning cuppa and the sun setting after our evening meal. The food was very good with plenty of choice and portions were plentiful. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Unlike some hotels I have stayed in, the Ocean View makes you feel very welcome. The planned trips were very interesting and because we had gone on the 8 day holiday we also had more free time. There is plenty to do as well as the planned itinerary. Because Robinsons pick up from so many local destinations, once your luggage is on the bus (even if it is only the feeder bus) you don;t have to worry about it again until you reach you hotel room to unpack. One thing people need to be aware of with the IoW, is that it is an extrememly hilly island, The position of the Ocean View hotel is on a cliff and there is a public lift which takes you down to the promenade/esplanade approx 175 feet below. Out of curiosity, we read some reviews prior to going on this holiday and were surprised at the negativity in some of them. We are now wondering if they went on the same holiday!! We had a really good time and would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: It is well worth paying the extra for an upgraded room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christine D
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We have just had a lovely holiday again with Robinsons at this hotel, our premier room was well worth the extra cost with a balcony and lovely view over the English Channel All the staff are very efficient and friendly, nothing is too much trouble for them. Special mention to Sean our waiter and Les the barman, who were both so helpful. Our coach driver David was very knowledgeable on our trips out and it always helps when you're blessed with good weather. I'm sure we will return to the Ocean View.

Room Tip: Pay that little bit extra for a premier room, no. 123 is a lovely room
3  Thank jean123_10
Reviewed 14 August 2013

It was mine and wife's first ever coach trip and first visit to the Isle of Wight. The hotel Ocean View was in a spot over looking the Solent and English Channel and for our convenience by luck the lift to the Esplanade was only a short distance from the hotel. Being disabled I was conveniently put in a room near the lift and they suggested I could leave my mobility scooter in the reception area. There was a lift to the Restaurant and a stairlift from the reception if needed. Everyone was friendly from reception to restaurant and bar staff. The room itself was a little tired, even so was sufficient for our needs. Food was excellent. One thing they could improve on is to provide stairlifts down to the basement, I enjoy bowls and stairs don't really like me. Again staff helped by sending me by an easier route and only 2flights instead of 6. I would definitely stay their again.

Room Tip: To get a seaview pay the extra it's worth it. By coach tell the company about an upgrade or cont...
2  Thank Nigel T
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Just returned from 5day holiday with Robinsons. Hotel in great position, we had a sea view room well worth the small extra cost, staff were helpful and very efficient, room large and clean, food was good, well worth the money. The building is a little dated but clean and a small problem with toilet was fixed within the hour.

2  Thank Rita W
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This time I booked a single but found myself in a very large family room. No sea view but a lovely view towards the hills.

I made a complaint about cleanliness but once I had reported this, it was dealt with immediately, which was impressive.

The hotel is ageing and is perhaps in need of updating but I like its spaciousness. It is refreshingly unpretentious, comfortable and friendly. The bathrooms take you back to the seventies with Formica sink surrounds in unusual colour choices. Some would loathe this but I liked it.

The room was serviced every day and the bathroom cleaned.

The food was good in many respects - very well cooked meat choices and a wide range of dishes. The food is plain fare, nothing too adventurous but well cooked and presented. Vegetables were disappointing, though, mainly chopped up so small, they lost all taste and got cold quickly. Raising the range and presentation of the vegetables would improve the level of dinner dramatically. I liked the sitting arrangements and enjoyed the company of fellow diners. The waiting service was outstanding. Our waiters were quick, efficient and charming. Nothing was too much trouble.

There was entertainment every evening although our party only dipped into that.

This would be a good choice for solo travellers as the whole atmosphere of the hotel is informal and friendly. Every evening people could be found playing cards and games in the lounge. One evening we listened to music from the large grand piano in the bar, which was lovely.

You can pop down to the beach for a swim very easily or stroll along the cliff tops before breakfast or after dinner. The location couldn't be better.

Very good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you have mobility problems.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Justmesouth
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Just returned from 8 days at Ocean View with Glenton and had a wonderful time. We paid a little extra for a sea view and I would definitely recommend this. We ended up on the ground floor which was an even bigger bonus as there are apparently a lot of stairs to get to other rooms. The room was huge, clean, well furnished and nicely decorated. Yes the bathrooms do need upgrading but ours was very clean and well looked after. The staff are brilliant and couldn't be more helpful. The meals were lovely with plenty of choices. Not huge portions but that's no bad thing (good for the waistline!). We did hear some people had complained about rooms and food but we certainly didn't have any problems and for a three star hotel we found it more than adequate. It is certainly good value for the money and the views are to die for. Friendly, well-run establishment - just remember to ask for a sea view and if any of your party have mobility issues then the ground floor would be best. There is no problem with the hotel being on the cliff-top level as the cliff-lift is right across the road from the main entrance. There's a lovely swimming pool which we had to ourselves and an indoor bowling green and huge billiards room although we didn't see anyone use these. There's also a variety of entertainers in the ballroom every night to keep you amused. Definitely recommended!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are best obviously because of the view but rooms at the back of the hotel also have b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Carolyn D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#36 of 51 in Shanklin
Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
#45 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!