“Food at its worst.”

Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Food at its worst.”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

It was a okay hotel. Cleaners were rude and through us out of the room in the mornings. Service was okay. Entertainment was on 3 of 4 nights and only one of those were decent entertainment. Food was awful, thrown on the table before arrival.

Room Tip: Ask for the view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Linda490

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, brilliant staff, room was clean but tiny and in need of a little tlc and extremely warm in whole hotel. But overall not a bad place, wont be returning until instead of ballroom dancing its the macerena and spice girls as evening entertainment though, haha :)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth M
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Okay where to start. Let's start by asking you to read my other views you will see we are easy to please very rare I leave anything negative, but this hotel was truly awful.

The good bits :
Location - lovely
Staff - very friendly, very helpful. Go work somewhere else you can be proud of.

I bought this as a present for my husband. It was a KGB deal but so what I still expect clean and fit for purpose. I've bought many vouchers through various sites but never have I been made to feel like cattle class.

Upon arrival we were welcomed my a very helpful gentleman who told us what time we had to be down for dinner (6pm ) and breakfast! Okay then off to our room, room 108. This room is not fit for purpose. Carpet has holes, net curtain has holes, bed cover stains, furniture out of the 50s then to the bathroom this was truly shocking. Towel so smelly we went and bought our own. Primrose yellow suite so dirty, Lino well that was a joke. Mould every where, no toiletries or nice touches. The walls and door was filthy.

No balcony just a fire escape anyone can walk pass your room.

Dinner, umm. Set menu awful , how they get away with this I have no idea. When the wine waiter arrived we ordered 2 G & T when he bought them back we had to pay at the table no adding to your room. At dinner you have to say if you want tea or coffee for breakfast, at breakfast you have the dinner menu and have to order dinner, how can you know what you want for dinner at 8am! Madness.

This hotels caters for coach parties of a certain age, they should stick with that.

I would never go back never stayed anywhere quite as dirty, been made to feel like a second class citizen because we bought a deal.

If you are reading this from the hotel. I would say never judge those if us that like to save money you never know who we are. Not that it matters but we are both professional with our own business you could of had our trade again but not in a million years, but I don't think you care. Shame on you for thinking this is acceptable.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Tom_Debz
Ash, Surrey
Reviewed 14 April 2014

we have just returned from a short break on the Isle of Wight, staying at this hotel. although the décor is somewhat dated the hotel is clean and warm. The staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble. some folk have mentioned portion size in the meals but with 3 courses we found the amount was perfect for our needs. the entertainment was good quality. The hotel also has a nice pool, a snooker room, indoor bowls and table tennis plus a comfy TV lounge. We didn't get chance to use all these but had we been staying longer we would have done so. The hotel is right next to the lift and stairs to go down to the beach and just a short walk from town

Room Tip: We had rooms on the ground floor with access to outdoor space which was fantastic for the children
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Pauline568
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Wonderful Hotel, fabulous room,with panoramic stunning view over the ocean. Large picture windows lots of room with modern furnishings. Very clean.
The food was fresh,and the meals were lovely. The menu was varied,with three courses for both breakfast and dinner,and a choice of four dishes. The only thing wrong was that we were a little cramped in the dining room,and the service was poor. We had tea in the coffee pot and coffee in the tea pot one morning, which wasn't nice for me as the taste of tea makes me heave. Twice we had to ask for butter for the toast and one morning no milk. On the last morning our table wasn't set, and we had to wait over half an hour for fruit juice and porridge to arrive. Also the first evening we were told to go to the dining room and sit on tables with red napkins, then we were growled at later because we weren't sat at a table with white napkins. I did not appreciate the attitude!
The rest of the staff were lovely.
We left 2 (not cheap) plastic wine glasses on the dressing table one day, and when we returned from a trip out they had gone. I phoned down to reception, and they were returned before dinner. Where they had been I can't even guess.
The sandwiches for packed lunches are not nice, they are on gaggy bread with only basic beef,cheese etc. not an onion or mayo in sight .
If you go for a swim in the indoor pool you are watched over by an official.
There is entertainment every night,which is basic singing but only after the dreaded bingo! Think it would be better having a 'bingo' room and a separate entertainment room. The Hotel is big enough. Not all enjoy bingo.
It is ideally situated, near to the town and on the promenade.
Again I was unable to get down to the beach because of breathing problems I knew I would not be able to get back up. There is a lift directly outside the hotel but make sure it us working before you book. It wasn't working for us so spoiled our stay.
We did enjoy our week but it could have been so much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Earley2
London, England
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is the 3rd time I've stayed at this Hotel for an organised Square Dance weekend and it always offers very good value for the price. My room (11) was well appointed and clean with a balcony overlooking the road. The meals are of good quality but not too large and my only small complaint was the restaurant service. At one breakfast our tables order got lost, so a long wait ensued, and the waiter was full of excuses. I don't want to hear a long list of excuses, just an apology and a quick resolution.
The staff are generally very helpful and do a good job, but they suffer from a dire lack of resources. Too few staff to go around.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ManicUSAVisitor
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Just returned from a five day coach trip staying here,can,t fault it,very clean,staff most helpful,food delicious at all times. We were a group of 44 and everyone enjoyed our stay and would be happy to stay at this hotel again.Thank you Robinsons holidays it was great.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor twin overlooking the sea with patio door opening on to a lawn ideal it was roo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends