“First visit, clean, basic, friendly hotel with great views”
Review of Ocean View Hotel

Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
“First visit, clean, basic, friendly hotel with great views”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Treated my partner for his 50th, when I booked there was no sea view rooms available, when we arrived we were given the best room with a fab sea view at the front & stunning hillside views from the right with a huge front & side balcony. The decor is a little dated & tired looking but the bedroom & bathroom was nice & spacious & very clean. Food was average, staff were very cheerful helpful & friendly.

Room Tip: Can't remember the number of our room but it was a front corner suite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maisie502014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
southern england
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was my third visit to this hotel and the first as a solo traveller, ie not travelling with anyone I knew. I had a great holiday.

Firstly, the location couldn't be better. You are on the cliff, with beautiful views from all public rooms and some bedrooms. Whether able-bodied, or disabled, you can get to the esplanade easily. There are pleasant walks in most directions and I felt completely safe walking on my own in the evenings and early mornings.

Secondly, the staff are very pleasant, quick to attend to any concerns and efficient. Reading some bad reviews of this hotel, I am surprised people don't speak to staff at the time as my experience has been that issues are dealt with courteously and well. For example, I asked the cleaner to Hoover my room and this was done. Simples.

I found the food extremely nice, varied and wholesome. Obviously to serve so many, so efficiently, requires pre-ordering: this all helps the smooth-running of mealtimes. It remains very good value for money. Last year I mentioned my dislike of chopped up vegetables and this year there were fewer. Maybe next year they will have been eradicated!

Bedrooms vary considerably. At first I thought my room at the back was dreary and dated, with little view. But as the week progressed, I began to appreciate that it was very quiet, had a comfortable bed and that, actually, if I wanted a view I had only to go to the front of the building and there were plenty of wonderful views from the lounges etc or the terrace. The bathroom was dated but clean, quiet, ( I hate those fan things that make so much racket in the middle of the night in more modern hotels) and had a good shower and bath.

The best thing about this hotel is its atmosphere, which is friendly and calm. I arrived quite stressed but have returned feeling refreshed and relaxed, which is what I want from a holiday. If you are looking for cordon bleu or contemporary furnishings, then this hotel probably isn't for you. But if you are happy to meet people, want a quiet, relaxed stay in a really good location, close to all amenities, then the Ocean View should be considered.

Room Tip: No in - room wi - fi but wi-fi in lounges downstairs. Be specific about what is important to you an...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank Justmesouth
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Was there on the 20th July and was there till the Saturday. Traveled by coach with Glenton Select which was very good and the driver was very nice.
The hotel itself was very good and we had a patio with a sea view. The staff were very friendly and helpful, they went out of there way for us. I would say this hotel should be on a 4 star rating.
Would defo to go back. This hotel was very disabled friendly as we were able to sit outside on the patio also the beach has a lift to get down to it. This was a nice town to visit.
5 stars all round

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Michelle K
birmingham uk
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had my first British coach holiday at the end of June/first week in July - what a great experience. Thanks to Robinsons, who also own the hotel. O.k., while the public rooms in the Ocean View are very good, my bedroom and bathroom were somewhat dated. This, however, was outweighed by the surprise that there was a balcony - something not seen in many British hotels - not with a sea view but I also had a side window with a great view of the sea. I certainly didn't expect that at the price I paid. I cannot fault any of the staff - all very welcoming and helpful. Again, I can't fault the food - very good value for money. Having had holidays in other coastal hotels, I found the bar prices very competitive. There is a pathway down to the beach and prom but I have to admit to using the Cliff Lift, situated opposite the Hotel. At £1.50 return, and with my dodgy knees, well worth the money. Prior to going away I made the mistake of reading other reviews, some of them very derogatory and I was concerned. As it turned out, I was wrong to be worried. My holiday was brilliant value for money. I have fallen in love with the Isle of Wight and intend to go back to the Ocean View. I am also considering holidays to the other two hotels in this chain. I am not sure what people expect. This is not a five-star hotel but neither does it charge five-star prices.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Kay m
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

A superb sea view room from this cliff top hotel, each sea view room with its own balcony, opposite the Shanklin cliff lift. Aimed mainly at (and in fact owned by a coach company) coach company passengers, with other rooms let, I suspect, to fill the gaps left by the coach passengers. The deal we had was two nights in the hotel with breakfast and evening meal for £100 per couple. Remarkably good value, but rooms could do with some updating. However at those prices churlish to complain. Staff friendly and very willing to help. Bar prices perhaps a touch on the high side. The windows for meal times slightly restrictive, but understandable given the nature of the core business.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ian W
London
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just spent 5 days at Ocean View Hotel Shanklin with my 87 year old mum. We were very happy. Lovely side room with balcony, could still see the sea. Plenty of room in bedroom, cupboards and wardrobe, comfy beds. Very nice TV. Bathroom was rather decor 1970's, but it worked, shower fine and plenty of hot water. But no grab rail. Food, 5 choices every evening meal, well presented, efficient waiting staff. Reception staff also very pleasent, and you can check your emails on the computer (free).

Lift opposite hotel to go down to Shanklin beach, lovely prom plenty of coffee shops and a nice Inn if you fancy a spot of lunch. We did a trip to Osborne House the estate is wonderful, and the Isle of Wighters are lovely folk. Shanklin is not flat so if you are not a good walker please bear this in mind. There is a co-op on the High Street if you need to pick up a few bits of shopping.

NB if you want a room in the hotel 'step free' please let hotel know, there are lots of steps in certain areas. Lift to all floors is fine but it only fits in 4 people at a time. Bar prices are good. £2.70 for a glass of wine and £1.82 for half a lager, not bad for a hotel.

We travelled from the East Midlands with a coach company and the travelling time was 10 hours! But you either have to 'put up' or 'shut up'. Great holiday, great price, and would recommend, if you need a 'chill pill'.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, especially a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mercury75
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Poor quality of food, tea & coffee like dishwater, cottage pie gravy was like jelly & resembled cat food. Rooms were in a terrible state. Dirty bath mat, thick dust on woodwork. Shower water trickled. Toilet just about flushed.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Tina C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Channel View Hotel
#4 of 29 in Sandown
The Clifton
The Clifton
#2 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!