“'elf and safety!”

Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Leeds, United Kingdom
“'elf and safety!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed for a week from 13th July the weather was great, loved the IOW but the hotel took the shine off my holiday. The rooms were tired and in need of refurbishment, despite having a spacious reception area there wasn't one chair - there were two entrances town side and sea side with ample room for seating - there was one small bench, when I enquired I was fobbed off with the old health & safety routine, "in case people tripped over them". The gardens were over grown and neglected again no chance of sitting out, the decking area outside the bar was the designated smoking area so no go there either.

Room Tip: Sea views are worth the supplement.
1 Thank Jacqui S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just been to the Ocean view for the third time. We love the I.O.W. especially Shanklin. It's a very pretty place. This year was a special holiday as my other half was celebrating a special birthday. We booked a premier room with a sea view. I must admit the view was amazing. The bedroom was very clean, airy and large. The bathroom however let the whole room down. Really disappointed as we'd paid extra for this.Other than that, we had no cause for complaint. The food was good fare, the staff help full and friendly.

Room Tip: If you have problems with stairs ask for a ground floor room. Shanklin is quite hilly!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Imaroma57
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Treated my partner for his 50th, when I booked there was no sea view rooms available, when we arrived we were given the best room with a fab sea view at the front & stunning hillside views from the right with a huge front & side balcony. The decor is a little dated & tired looking but the bedroom & bathroom was nice & spacious & very clean. Food was average, staff were very cheerful helpful & friendly.

Room Tip: Can't remember the number of our room but it was a front corner suite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maisie502014
southern england
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was my third visit to this hotel and the first as a solo traveller, ie not travelling with anyone I knew. I had a great holiday.

Firstly, the location couldn't be better. You are on the cliff, with beautiful views from all public rooms and some bedrooms. Whether able-bodied, or disabled, you can get to the esplanade easily. There are pleasant walks in most directions and I felt completely safe walking on my own in the evenings and early mornings.

Secondly, the staff are very pleasant, quick to attend to any concerns and efficient. Reading some bad reviews of this hotel, I am surprised people don't speak to staff at the time as my experience has been that issues are dealt with courteously and well. For example, I asked the cleaner to Hoover my room and this was done. Simples.

I found the food extremely nice, varied and wholesome. Obviously to serve so many, so efficiently, requires pre-ordering: this all helps the smooth-running of mealtimes. It remains very good value for money. Last year I mentioned my dislike of chopped up vegetables and this year there were fewer. Maybe next year they will have been eradicated!

Bedrooms vary considerably. At first I thought my room at the back was dreary and dated, with little view. But as the week progressed, I began to appreciate that it was very quiet, had a comfortable bed and that, actually, if I wanted a view I had only to go to the front of the building and there were plenty of wonderful views from the lounges etc or the terrace. The bathroom was dated but clean, quiet, ( I hate those fan things that make so much racket in the middle of the night in more modern hotels) and had a good shower and bath.

The best thing about this hotel is its atmosphere, which is friendly and calm. I arrived quite stressed but have returned feeling refreshed and relaxed, which is what I want from a holiday. If you are looking for cordon bleu or contemporary furnishings, then this hotel probably isn't for you. But if you are happy to meet people, want a quiet, relaxed stay in a really good location, close to all amenities, then the Ocean View should be considered.

Room Tip: No in - room wi - fi but wi-fi in lounges downstairs. Be specific about what is important to you an...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank Justmesouth
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Was there on the 20th July and was there till the Saturday. Traveled by coach with Glenton Select which was very good and the driver was very nice.
The hotel itself was very good and we had a patio with a sea view. The staff were very friendly and helpful, they went out of there way for us. I would say this hotel should be on a 4 star rating.
Would defo to go back. This hotel was very disabled friendly as we were able to sit outside on the patio also the beach has a lift to get down to it. This was a nice town to visit.
5 stars all round

6 Thank Michelle K
birmingham uk
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had my first British coach holiday at the end of June/first week in July - what a great experience. Thanks to Robinsons, who also own the hotel. O.k., while the public rooms in the Ocean View are very good, my bedroom and bathroom were somewhat dated. This, however, was outweighed by the surprise that there was a balcony - something not seen in many British hotels - not with a sea view but I also had a side window with a great view of the sea. I certainly didn't expect that at the price I paid. I cannot fault any of the staff - all very welcoming and helpful. Again, I can't fault the food - very good value for money. Having had holidays in other coastal hotels, I found the bar prices very competitive. There is a pathway down to the beach and prom but I have to admit to using the Cliff Lift, situated opposite the Hotel. At £1.50 return, and with my dodgy knees, well worth the money. Prior to going away I made the mistake of reading other reviews, some of them very derogatory and I was concerned. As it turned out, I was wrong to be worried. My holiday was brilliant value for money. I have fallen in love with the Isle of Wight and intend to go back to the Ocean View. I am also considering holidays to the other two hotels in this chain. I am not sure what people expect. This is not a five-star hotel but neither does it charge five-star prices.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Kay m
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

A superb sea view room from this cliff top hotel, each sea view room with its own balcony, opposite the Shanklin cliff lift. Aimed mainly at (and in fact owned by a coach company) coach company passengers, with other rooms let, I suspect, to fill the gaps left by the coach passengers. The deal we had was two nights in the hotel with breakfast and evening meal for £100 per couple. Remarkably good value, but rooms could do with some updating. However at those prices churlish to complain. Staff friendly and very willing to help. Bar prices perhaps a touch on the high side. The windows for meal times slightly restrictive, but understandable given the nature of the core business.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room
3 Thank Ian W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#20 of 52 in Shanklin
The Wight
The Wight
#6 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!