“left a lot to be desired”
Review of Ocean View Hotel

Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 15 August 2014

bedroom decor very tired and dated, bathroom was something out of the 1950s, but bed was comfy, everything was clean and in working order. Needs updating, these days we want a bit of modern style in the decor. The food was nice but portions were inadequate, just 2 small potatoes per person, 2 pieces of Brocoli, cooked breakfasts very small, desserts also. The waitress rushed off and disappeared before we could ask for sauces or mayo, no-one came round asking if things were Ok like most places do, probably scared there would be complaints! On arrival no-one gave me any info re meal times or even where the dining area was situated, so I was somewhat disoriented for a while. Hairdryer provided but there was no socket near the mirror! I asked for an extension lead but was given the 'health & safety' excuse. No point in supplying a hairdryer if it can't be used. In general the staff did not seem very happy

Room Tip: ask for one with a balcony but don't count on getting it
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank 101LadyB

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Just returned from the Ocean View Hotel where the experience was far from the best. Bedrooms were tired as were public areas and it was hard to see where any real investment had been made in the hotel in the recent past. We were independent travellers and paid premium prices for bed and breakfast without the premium experience. All this stated, the view from the sea facing bedroom balconies is the best and the service was very good from the (majority Eastern European) staff - special mention to a Romanian guy who was frequently helpful both at reception and in the restaurant. In conclusion, would not return here and would not recommend. Had a good holiday on IOW despite this hotel rather than because of it.

Room Tip: If staying here you must really choose a sea facing room - views excellent
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed for a week from 13th July the weather was great, loved the IOW but the hotel took the shine off my holiday. The rooms were tired and in need of refurbishment, despite having a spacious reception area there wasn't one chair - there were two entrances town side and sea side with ample room for seating - there was one small bench, when I enquired I was fobbed off with the old health & safety routine, "in case people tripped over them". The gardens were over grown and neglected again no chance of sitting out, the decking area outside the bar was the designated smoking area so no go there either.

Room Tip: Sea views are worth the supplement.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jacqui S
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just been to the Ocean view for the third time. We love the I.O.W. especially Shanklin. It's a very pretty place. This year was a special holiday as my other half was celebrating a special birthday. We booked a premier room with a sea view. I must admit the view was amazing. The bedroom was very clean, airy and large. The bathroom however let the whole room down. Really disappointed as we'd paid extra for this.Other than that, we had no cause for complaint. The food was good fare, the staff help full and friendly.

Room Tip: If you have problems with stairs ask for a ground floor room. Shanklin is quite hilly!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Imaroma57
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Treated my partner for his 50th, when I booked there was no sea view rooms available, when we arrived we were given the best room with a fab sea view at the front & stunning hillside views from the right with a huge front & side balcony. The decor is a little dated & tired looking but the bedroom & bathroom was nice & spacious & very clean. Food was average, staff were very cheerful helpful & friendly.

Room Tip: Can't remember the number of our room but it was a front corner suite
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maisie502014
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was my third visit to this hotel and the first as a solo traveller, ie not travelling with anyone I knew. I had a great holiday.

Firstly, the location couldn't be better. You are on the cliff, with beautiful views from all public rooms and some bedrooms. Whether able-bodied, or disabled, you can get to the esplanade easily. There are pleasant walks in most directions and I felt completely safe walking on my own in the evenings and early mornings.

Secondly, the staff are very pleasant, quick to attend to any concerns and efficient. Reading some bad reviews of this hotel, I am surprised people don't speak to staff at the time as my experience has been that issues are dealt with courteously and well. For example, I asked the cleaner to Hoover my room and this was done. Simples.

I found the food extremely nice, varied and wholesome. Obviously to serve so many, so efficiently, requires pre-ordering: this all helps the smooth-running of mealtimes. It remains very good value for money. Last year I mentioned my dislike of chopped up vegetables and this year there were fewer. Maybe next year they will have been eradicated!

Bedrooms vary considerably. At first I thought my room at the back was dreary and dated, with little view. But as the week progressed, I began to appreciate that it was very quiet, had a comfortable bed and that, actually, if I wanted a view I had only to go to the front of the building and there were plenty of wonderful views from the lounges etc or the terrace. The bathroom was dated but clean, quiet, ( I hate those fan things that make so much racket in the middle of the night in more modern hotels) and had a good shower and bath.

The best thing about this hotel is its atmosphere, which is friendly and calm. I arrived quite stressed but have returned feeling refreshed and relaxed, which is what I want from a holiday. If you are looking for cordon bleu or contemporary furnishings, then this hotel probably isn't for you. But if you are happy to meet people, want a quiet, relaxed stay in a really good location, close to all amenities, then the Ocean View should be considered.

Room Tip: No in - room wi - fi but wi-fi in lounges downstairs. Be specific about what is important to you an...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank Justmesouth
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Was there on the 20th July and was there till the Saturday. Traveled by coach with Glenton Select which was very good and the driver was very nice.
The hotel itself was very good and we had a patio with a sea view. The staff were very friendly and helpful, they went out of there way for us. I would say this hotel should be on a 4 star rating.
Would defo to go back. This hotel was very disabled friendly as we were able to sit outside on the patio also the beach has a lift to get down to it. This was a nice town to visit.
5 stars all round

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Michelle K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
The Channel View Hotel
The Channel View Hotel
#3 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!