“Excellent hotel.. excellent owners... excellent food... etc etc”
Review of Cliff Hall Hotel

Cliff Hall Hotel
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Leeds
“Excellent hotel.. excellent owners... excellent food... etc etc”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I recently visited the Cliff Hall Hotel with my family and younger sister. It was my first trip to the Isle of Wight and I will definitely return. When I arrived I received a very warm welcome and immediately felt relaxed and comfortable. The owners are amazing - I will definitely re visit. You can ask them to do pretty much anything and if they can do it - they will! The hotel was very comfortable - from lazing round the pool (which I did a lot of!) to sitting in the bar and then getting a good nights sleep!! The entertainment was very good also, within my 10 day stay there was a live musician, karaoke, a quiz night and god knows what else! The owners know the Island very well and were very helpful in advising me of fun things to do! We went tree climbing, visited the Isle of Wight pearl, went to the needles, visted the zoo's, enjoyed the water sports etc etc. I had never been before so I needed as much help as I could get! And then at the end of a busy day I could sit in the beautiful gardens and watch the ocean in peace! The hotel is very quiet and peaceful during the day time, but there is a heated pool and a games room if you get bored, or the beach just down the road. I had an amazing holiday and would like to thank everyone at the Cliff Hall for making my stay so enjoyable! See you again soon hopefully!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank KarinaLeeds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Leeds
Reviewed 20 July 2010

This was the 6th time we have been to this hotel. Each year the owners have spent more and more money updating all the rooms etc. Our room (15) is exceptional. We have the most stunning views. This year we had a brand new 'king size' bed and an lcd television. Everything about this hotel is relaxing. The staff make you feel so welcome and nothing is too much trouble. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, old, young, with families or without. My 16 year old daughter still wants to come back next year - that says something! Keep up the good work and see you next year!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ElainefromLeeds
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Stayed for 10 days with husband and 2 small children. Very friendly atmosphere and children were welcomed every morning. Family room very comfortable, and kids loved the bunk beds. Sea view fantastic! Waking up to the sun rising over the sea every morning was breath taking. Yes, the rooms could do with modernising, yes, the water pressure and shower wasn't great, but everything was very clean, and house keeping did a good job. There are always going to be people that find something to complain about, but after staying there for 10 days, there was nothing to put a dampner on our lovely holiday. I can only remember the positives which definately included the beautiful outdoor pool (which was always clean) and the marvellous breakfasts.
If you are looking for an ultra modern hotel, this is not for you, but if you want a nice quiet, clean, family friendly hotel, give this one a go!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Lauraflute
Gloucester
Reviewed 29 August 2009

On entering the hotel we were greeted with a warm welcome,this took my mind off the decor and interior,(this was rather victorian and dark) the owner was very helpful and showed us around and where we would be sitting for breakfast. We had a sea facing room which had fab views. In our room we had a double bed and a single, which I was very glad we did as the double bed was rather old and not fun to sleep in, no modern Duvets only blankets, but the bed linen was clean.The bathroom was new and had a walk in shower, but we didn't get to enjoy the shower as the water pressure was so low, we did mention this to the owners and its on there jobs to do list !!! House keeping do need to pay more attention to some of the cleaning and look up as there are some cobwebs! Breakfast was very good, a good choice of breakfast cereal and cooked items, but it was rather greasy for me, but my husband enjoyed his breakfast every morning. I enjoyed my stay here very much you have to look beyond the things I've mentioned, its a ideal hotel in a good position, the views are fantastic, it is hilly for those less able but the lift is nearby, but 80p or return £1.30 each this can add up. And there is a good restaurant at the bottom of the hill called Saffon.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
warwickshire
Reviewed 19 August 2009

The welcome was freindly, relaxed and informative. Nothing was too much trouble, the freindly relaxed atmosphere was really good with the period features of the hotel a pleasure. Not modernistic as it was built around 1850s. Nobody rung the gong for breakfast! The showers had good water pressure in our room (7), plenty of hot water and that when the hotel was full. The pool was well looked after and warm. The two couples who run this hotel are a pleasure to be with. I will definately use and recommend this hotel to other people.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yeomanterry
Midlands
Reviewed 14 July 2009

This could be a really nice hotel if a bit of money was spent on it, as it still seems to be in the dark ages. The gong for breakfast was a first and was hillarious. The staff are reasonably friendly but not particularly helfpul about things that you might like to do. Great views, spoilt by the fact that when you ask for a double room you get two single beds pushed together, which is not comfortable to say the least. Overall if you are looking for a quiet hotel with nothing happening and not a lot of atmosphere then this is the one for you. Definately not for us.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lucky97
Bath, UK
Reviewed 10 July 2009

The Pros:
Really helpful staff
Great location and great views across the bay
Spotless room
Great breakfast including veggie options
The Cons:
Water pressure - shower not really an option
Some tired decor

We had a great time here so don't want to knock it - but if you are used to modern style you might find it a bit twee. The staff were so attentive and helpful. Our shower at home is really good so this one was terrible in comparison - but a bath never killed anyone!

This is traditional British seaside guest house all the way.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#7 of 52 in Shanklin
The Channel View Hotel
The Channel View Hotel
#4 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Cliff Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!