Review Highlights
Amazing Selection of sweets.

Reviewed 2 days ago
fork_handles
Luton, United Kingdom
via mobile
Every girls and boys dream

Reviewed 10 October 2018

from US$34.00
from US$20.90
from US$104.70
More Info
All reviews fudge sweet tooth lots of choice sweet lovers spoilt for choice free chocolate preserves under one roof staff were really helpful kids and adults isle of wight old village well worth a visit sweets gifts brittle waistline
Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

Located in Shanklin Old Village, this is a large confectionary shop with an amazing variety of sweets, fudge, biscuits, jam and rock among many other things, many of which are made locally or on the premises. The big pink shop is easily found and opens all year and has a good regular trade. Some of the things here you will have never even heard of! A wide variety of flavours will mean you have to take your time to make your choices as it is easy to spend a lot here!

A great location to visit and a really good selection of things.

Reviewed 10 October 2018

we went in and I got the wow facter it was a dream come true the staff were very friendy it is a must see sweetshop

Reviewed 4 October 2018

This shop is a paradise for sweet lovers. Every conceivable type of sweet was here. The choice was so immense that it made choosing sweets for our grandchildren very difficult!

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Found it very difficult to find places on the Isle of Wight that had locally made products I could bring home as a souvenir for friends. This shop had lots of choice and the products were much appreciated. And there are demonstrations at times. Super!

Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

I have used this lovely island shop for many years now. Very friendly staff always willing to go that extra mile I even used them at my wedding can not fault them. Highly recommendable business I wish them all the best for there future of making many more happy families.

LauraSteen, Manager at The Rock Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Dear Rhett,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review of our shop, its so lovely to hear such great comments.

Thank you and we hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 24 September 2018

This place is oustanding and a pleasure to visit. My children loved the selection and extremely reasonable prices for the quality of products I purchased. So much to choose from and I was even able to buy a number of beautiful gifts. Staff were very helpful and friendly. I just wished I had found this little gem of a shop sooner as I have a very sweet tooth. You can see that a great deal of effort goes into the selection of rock, fudge and sweets the list goes on. When family members visit I will be sure to bring them to this lovely shop.

Thank you to the friendly staff and I look forward to visiting again VERY soon x

Dear Emma M,

Thank you for such an outstanding review of our shop - it was so encouraging to read such amazing comments, we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Thanks,

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Firstly as I'm sure the owner will respond I have been a resident on the Island for 25 years and proudly support local businesses.
Last time I visited the shop I was very disappointed to see produce from the major seaside wholesalers sold as Isle of Wight produce and today have confirmed this is the case.
It's not Island made anymore but labels show " Made for ".
Secondly I strongly resent being told I have to spend a minimum of £5 to pay by contactless card and being embarrassed by the young lady in the shop ringing the manager who then demanded to talk to me.
I can visit numerous small traders who will happily make a sale without this charge or the need to embarrass a customer in front of others .
Sadly this will be my final visit to the rock shop and after 25 years customer loyalty will happily shop elsewhere in town where I can also buy rock not made localy.

4  Thank Jane H
LauraSteen, Manager at The Rock Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Hello Jane H,

Its seems there are a number of issues I need address following this review -

1. We have never sold products as being made on the Island if they have not been produced here - we have several large areas dedicated to products made on the island, which include the biscuits and shortbread we produce in our own bakery in the back of the Shanklin shop, the huge array of fudges, chocolate, lollies and honeycomb that we produce in store (you can come in and watch one of our popular demonstrations should you not believe us) we also support many local producers such as the Garlic Farm, Island Mustard, Island Biscuits and CJ Foods which all have space in our shops.

2. We do stock items which are labelled as 'A gift from the Isle of Wight' many of these items are not made on the Island but are clearly labelled as such.

3. Many small businesses do not accept card transactions under £5.00 due to the ever increasing bank charges and a vast majority of our customers fully understand and support this.

4. The member of staff who served you was forced to call the shop owner because you threatened her that by not allowing you to spend £2.90 on card was illegal (this is simply not true) - this obviously worried this young member of staff who simply called the owner to ask if she was 'breaking the law' by not allowing you to use your card - no-one 'demanded' to speak to you, you were simply asked if you would like to have the owner explain to you about the minimum card payment to which you refused.

We are obviously sorry if you felt embarrassed as this was never our intention - we have had a young girl made to feel very intimidated by your behaviour in the shop this weekend - so your need to shop elsewhere is probably best for everyone involved.

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

I'm over from London for the weekend, many rock shops to choose from but came here because it's the rock shop, so specialty is rock. I brought 4 sticks of rock, wanted to try each of my favourite flavours so could work out what to buy to take home, I asked the lady are they fresh, I wanted fresh hard rock, not soft, stale, she said turn over is fast so all fresh!! I tried each and 2 was perfect, 1 was bit soft and the other was flavourless and stale, the next day I thought I'd pop in and very discreetly (because shop was busy) tell a different lady behind the counter (Saturday night) about the rock, I was actually expecting her to say sorry about that and thanks for bringing this to my attention, and then removing all of the rock in that flavour, but oh no, the response was "well some people like it soft, infact they ask for soft rock" I pointed out I didn't and brought it believing it was fresh and hard, she made me feel like I'd done something wrong, she was rude and came across aggressive, I then myself become louder due to being upset, didn't care about being discreet after talking down to me, and that is why I've also written this, the actions of one silly rude lady, I will never buy from here again, stale rock and rude service, a simple sorry and thank you would suffice, but no I was abused, shame on you!

This review has been passed onto Tripadvisor - due it being fictitious and therefore suspicious.

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Absolutely love this sweet shop - cater for all tastes and dietary requests. Massive selection of traditional and new sweets (so kids and adults both happy!)
Marked a star off as would've loved to see a demo of sweet making but there are no set times for that.

Hi CLee1985,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review of our shop - we hope to have more regular sweet demos ready for next summer.

We hope to see you again,

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

Visited to take some sweet gifts home. Really good value for money and lots of gift ideas to take back home.

Dear Hannah W,

Thank you for such a lovely review of our shop - we hope to see you again soon.

Thanks,