“We loved it, the food, staff and entertainment ...”
Review of Medehamstede Hotel

Medehamstede Hotel
Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“We loved it, the food, staff and entertainment ...”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Rooms definitely need updating.Fantastic food! Staff so friendly, helpful and considerate. Entertainment good. We had "Michelle" sing one night, she was outstanding, a pleasure to listen to, variety of songs and music, she should go far. A special thank you to bar staff Charlie and Chas for their consideration and entertainment and to our waiter I believe it was "Trevor" for his impeccable waiting on tables. Jean was great, did 2 birthday cakes the same day for guests when we were there. All the staff seem to have a natural empathy with people whatever their age. Well done. Best wishes "Stacey" and "Bradley" - Charlie will know who they are!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Jeannie222, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely review, It really makes a difference when we know our guests have enjoyed their stay. I will pass on your kind words to all the staff, Charlie sends his love and a great big kiss. We hope to see you again.
Many Thanks
Jean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2011

My husband & i were led to this hotel via an island coach tour, the hotels dining area & lounge\ bar area & foyer & garden area is very pleasant, the 1 thing it desperately needs is a lift.!! we are able bodied, but for any 1 that isnt , if u cant get a room on ground floor, its not good, especialy if u had to carry up youre own suitcase.!! but we were lucky to have some nice young men for that job. :-) the food we found to be very nice, but could have done with being slightly larger portions.! the twin room we were in was o.k. but the sliding door to the bathroom, altho quaint & antiquated, very noisy if you need to use the loo @ night without disturbing youre other half.!! Its nicely situated, all staff we found to be friendly & helpfull, the place has a nice informal atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank egglayer
northampton nn2 7ne
Reviewed 23 July 2011

My husband and i have just come back we stayed the 18th of July to the 22nd and would go back.The rooms need a bit of tlc but in all the staff are great and helpful and the service was second to none. Every thing is close at hand (A BIT HILLY IN PLACES) and the lift to the beach worked when we were there.I enjoyed every meal i had and so did my husband. I feel for the price it was good value and a great time was had by all. I feel people should look at the bigger picture.

Room Tip: I do feel these could be updated but they are clean
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank highflyer33
Jeannie222, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the " Mede" and I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we will be updating our rooms in the near future and we plan to refurbish the bar area in January. I will pass on your kind words to all the staff as it is always a good moral booster when we know our guests enjoyed themselves. We hope you will come stay with us again.
Many Thanks.
Ammanford
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here as a treat for my birthday. We were on a coach tour, but I can't fault anything about our stay here. When we went down to dinner on my birthday I was presented with a birthday cake and lit candle by Jean. This was quite unexpected. We had a lovely room with a walk-in shower (which I had requested by email to the hotel at time of booking).
We are taking advantage of their special this August and going back to stay with our car this time and hope to see more of the island.

Room Tip: When booking a holiday, email or phone the hotel beforehand if you have any special requests
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank welshpet48
Northants
Reviewed 10 July 2011

A cheap coach trip led us to this establishment. The room was below average and the pillows needed burning - disgusting. The bathroom should have been condemned by an Inspector. Conscious of the value of the overall holiday I suppose a lot of people would say it was very good value for money but there is no excuse for filth. Thank God for antibacterial wipes! The breakfasts were passable given the cost but the evening meals were inedible. Not one single meal I chose was edible. Some seemed ok but then some people will eat anything. The veg lasagne was awful, containing leftovers from the previous evening and breakfast! The vegetables were constantly awful. The waiting and bar staff were lovely young people. The big worry was that this was a hotel full off predominantly older people, some in wheelchairs, and there wasn't a staff member on duty at night. A phone number was left at reception and the doors were locked! Thankfully my room was next to a fire escape. The hotel is like a rabbit warren with no lifts so not suitable for a great number of people. The location is very good, near the cliff lift and central for Shanklin. It also has a very pleasant garden area. I suppose the big lesson here is you pay for what you get. Or not!

Room Tip: There isn't a best room in the hotel. I asked.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank laceway
Jeannie222, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
I was very dissapointed to read your review of our Hotel, I only wish you had chosen to inform us of your issues while you were staying, as it is very hard to try and correct problems when we were not made aware of any untill you left via your comment form, I am pleased to say that we recieved other comments from the tour which were very positive As you stated in your review you do only get what you pay for and I feel we provide a excellent service in all arears of the Hotel which you may be hard pressed to find in other star rated Hotels. Our rooms may be basic but they are always clean, we pride ourselves on maintaining a high standard, and we always endevor to ensure the customer is always happy. I was very shocked to read your comments about our food, almost all of our menu is home made and you will see from earlier reviews that the soup is always commented on because it tastes so good, again our menu may be basic but I feel we provide a good varied menu and we will accomadate all special requests from our guests. With respect to the night porter we do have a staff member on duty till at least 11.00pm and the night porter lives on the premises so there is never a time when a guest is without assistance the doors are locked as a matter of security,
(I am sure you would not like anyone walking into the Hotel late at night) and all guests have the option of a front door key, if you feel your holiday would be more comfortable with a night portor on duty then maybe you need to look at 3/4 star Hotels as they provide this service. We ensure all of the companys we work with, are aware of the lay out of the Hotel so they can inform their passengers who in turn can make a decision about staying with us. The Hotel is over a 100 years old and it would be a tragedy if we tore out all that history only to replace it with yet another building which would have no caracter but be functional. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and I hope you find better accommadation on your next holiday.

Travellers are raving about these Shanklin hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2011

a value for money break enjoyed our stay friendly staff
and clean warm room,only complaint could hear
talking in next room.

Room Tip: try to get a room on lower floors no lift
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pigeongraham
Gourock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We were lucky to get a downstairs room as some fellow travellers had to climb a lot of stairs to reach their bedrooms and, as the average age of coach party was well over sixty,
it was difficult for them. Food was tasty and soups ( homemade ) were lovely and there was a good choice of main courses. Entertainment was available every night we were there and, all in all, enjoyable. Staff friendly and helpful.
One problem we had was the size of the toilet/shower room in room 38 and the actual shower cabinet could do with re-newing as tiles very grubby & black fungus evident. We didn't complain as we were only there for a few days and other bath/shower rooms seemed OK.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Calamity1512
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
#10 of 52 in Shanklin
Wight Bay Hotel
Wight Bay Hotel
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Medehamstede Hotel? Share your experiences!