“An excellent Hotel”

Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Essex
“An excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My Wife and I had a briliant stay between 11/11/11 to the 14/11/11 which was the best four day break that we ever had.
The meals were very good with a varied menu, The evenings had great entertainment.
All the staff were very helpful and just could not do enough to make our stay very enjoyable.
We will certainly go back there again as we could not fault anything at all.
Well recommended. A++++

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony T
Jeannie222, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Thank you for the great review, I am really pleased you had a good time with us and I wish you a great Christmas & New Year, hopefully we will see you again.
Take Care
Jean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

My wife and I stayed recently (November 2011) for the first time having originally booked for 7 days. It is relevant for you to know that when we are at home we dine out at various places at least twice weekly for both breakfast and dinner (each meal out on four different days)

I have to say straight away that I considered the total cost we paid was (IMHO) extremely reasonable. After deducting the inclusive Car Ferry fare it probably worked out to about £50 per couple per night or c £25 pppn (and don’t forget that’s for Half Board - not just Bed and Breakfast!).

So it did not take much mental effort to calculate that for each day stayed at the Medehamstede we were getting meals with a combined worth to us of well over £25 at the comparable prices that we are used to paying at home (and that’s for meals of a very good variety/quantity/quality and service at the Medehamstede).

Therefore that leaves well less than £25 per day for the accommodation for a couple to stay out of season (or under £12.50 pppn) - with free parking - pretty near the centre of Shanklin - c 400 yards from the Cliffs Top and c 400 yards from the High Street….

…….and if you wanted it there was free nightly entertainment available too!

Also, I should add, that I carefully checked whilst there and found Bed and Breakfast (only) Guest Houses quite close nearby the hotel that were asking at least £25 pppn.

Anyway back to some further, maybe more relevant information about staying at the Medehamstede:

Our room was clean and airy (and tidied daily) with tea and coffee facilities always refilled.

The water for showers/baths was consistently very hot and plentiful and we could even have fresh clean towels every day if we had wanted.

The room was well heated and generally comfortable.

The dining room was spacious and bright offering a varied choice each day with a polite, considerate and speedy service. We also noticed a good atmosphere amongst the various groups of guests in the dining room.

So, after all that relatively positive comment, I hear you wonder did we experience any problems at all.

Well, yes, of course we did - as frankly we would expect at any hotel - including those at which we have stayed at in the Strand in London (currently £133 pppn BB) - or even, believe it or not, occasionally in our own home.

It goes without saying - but I will state it for you anyway - that yes, agreed, we are all entitled to and do have different expectations (some which might be considered excessive by others) if we are parting with our limited cash.

However if any hotel (or any supplier - come to that) doesn’t reasonably reach those expectations we should always have the courage and civility to calmly and courteously raise these matters at the time and allow a fair opportunity to address any ‘reasonable’ concerns.

We did just that and some relatively minor matters (which could, if left, easily have become exaggerated in our minds) were immediately dealt with - to our satisfaction - by Jean Powell or her staff - then quickly forgotten by us - and thereby not allowed to fester and grow into a nagging ‘issue’ as they might well have become to us after our stay ended.

Now I have read and re-read most of the (comparatively low numbers) - of what some might call - ‘whingeing’ (after the event) nasty comments about the Medehamstede and I can only conclude that a few people (although entitled to their opinion - of course!) have nothing better to with their time than seek out relatively minor matters (sometimes of their own making - or their own foolish oversight when booking) to subsequently complain about.

To them I would say - ‘do get over yourself - life’s too short!’

To you other prospective visitors I say, in common with some other reviewers, do yourself a favour and don’t be put off by these few self serving - utter rubbish - negative and sometimes even spiteful comments (amazingly some are ‘third party‘ - i.e. they admit that they had not even personally been to the Medehamstede?).

We could have easily have been dissuaded by these few overly harsh (in some cases almost vindictive) observations from going to the Medehamstede for the first time but we took the chance and we are now really glad we did.

The Medehamstede is well worth the experience and most definitely the cost for a visit whether for a comparatively cheap (as we found out from others visiting) organised ‘Coaching Break’ or via an easy telephoned direct and promptly confirmed ‘private’ booking (as it was in our case).

We will most certainly be going back and if you are only just considering going there for the first time like we were it‘s certainly worth the good chance that you will be very satisfied with the Medehamstede - providing that you are reasonable individuals.

My suggestion is however that if you must have something very important and particular to you available at any hotel to enable you to fully enjoy your break e.g. a lift, shower/bath or both, special food, king size bed, extra heating, separate lounge area, etc. you ought to enquire about it before/when booking. Then you won’t be surprised, disappointed, upset or annoyed (or if you are perhaps be fair and just consider that it could just be your own silly fault - not necessarily the hotel’s).

And finally - by the way - yes, we do agree, the Medehamstede does need a bit of updating (or TLC as it has been put by others) but actually so does my home - here and there - and I doubt that there are many out in cyberspace who, if they are honest wouldn’t admit to the same. Also significant refurbishment requires a lot of investment and almost certainly that would have to be recovered in future increased tariffs - which most visitors certainly (IMHO) wouldn’t welcome - including me!

So if you want any more detailed information or clarification about our stay or just some independent assistance on a possible visit to the Medehamstede just get in touch and we will try to help.

We had never been to or had any contact with this hotel before our first booking - nor did we have any previous association with the owner (whoever it is?) /managers or staff and to the best of our knowledge our treatment during our stay at the Medehamstede was at the same standard as that applied to all other guests

Room Tip: Explain what you ideally want when booking. Out of a variety of 57 you will almost certainly will ge...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank IMHO110
Wow what can I say, that was a very detailed review and I would like to say thank you on behalf of myself and all my staff. We hope to see you again in the New Year.
Many Thanks
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I went on a coach holiday in september 2011 supporting 2 gentlemen with mild disabilities and learning difficulties. When we arrived we were greeted at the door by a nice lady who told us the basics about the hotel and our surroundings, tea time etc... Once given our keys we had to use the stairs as there were no lifts and having a gentleman with issues climbing stairs this wasnt ideal, but the staff werent to know so that was by the by, Once in the rooms, there were no shower facilities which created another problem as there were difficulties for one gentelman getting in and out. We were offered the use of another room's shower cubicle which was great but up another 2 flights of stairs, still posing issues. The rooms werent greatly attractive or up to date but were ok to sleep in, the double bed in my room had seen better days though and dipped to a slant on the right hand side. The bathroom smelled of urine due to it having a carptetted floor which wasnt great. The decor throughout the hotel needs to be updated and the dining area is VERY warm. Food was average and very 'canteen' like. Although there are a lot of down sides, the staff were all very friendly and made the stay more comfortable, evening entertainment could be better (maybe a little younger??) and the bingo was good but dont think I would stay there again anytime soon.

Room Tip: If you require a lift due to mobility issues, there isnt one so dont stay here.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank AngeyGirl
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

stayed here with a party of 8 we was all very impressed with the standard of the rooms we also found that some of the rooms had great views of the sea and the hotel gardens, the food was very enjoyable and the staff were very pleasant and always happy to help the entertainment was also very good and we had great fun playing the pub quizzes. great time had by all would not hesitate to go back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank 757Lauren
Jeannie222, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Thank you for the great review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. But to be honest you made our job very easy as you were all such a great bunch of people, I really enjoyed the quiz also. Take care and we hope to see you all again
Many Thanks
Southampton, UK
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My mother and her friend stayed here recentl and I am writing this on her behalf. Yes, the staff were very friendly, helpful and courteous. The entertainment was very good. However, she had an extremely cold room which even an extra heater could not warm up. The bed was so lumpy you could even see the dips in the mattress, let alone feel them, and there was mould in the bathroom. The food was ok, but awful mince in the bolognese and rock hard poached eggs. She did not feel well at one point and would have chose not to join the coach outing for that day, but there was nowhere in the hotel that she could have had a comfortable chair and sat for the day.

It was a very cheap deal, and you only get what you pay for. But my mum felt that that even basic standards were not met.

Such a shame as the staff were so nice.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Macklin
Jeannie222, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
Thank you for posting a review about your mothers stay with us, I have to admit I am a little confused as I remember your mother she was a lovley lady and I delt with the matter about the extra heater myself. When I checked the room I noticed that the thermostate was turned off that explained why the room was cold, the previous guest must have turned the rad off, as all of the radaitors are controled by their own thermostate. I put the extra heater in as your mother explained that her friend felt the cold very easily, When I checked with the ladies later that evening they told me the room was lovley and warm and they were very happy. I wish your mother would have informed me about the other issues then I would have been able to correct them for her. The beds in the room are only 2 years old and the mattresses are ortherpidic so they may seem a little hard for some people. I am sorry the mince was not up to your standard but I can assure you we only use good quality meat from our local supplier. If my resturant staff had been told about the mince and eggs I can assure you they would have offered to replace them. As you said in your review it was a cheap deal and we are a basic coaching Hotel but I do feel we offer a good standard of service in all aspects of the Hotel, we also have a reception area and a television room where our guests can sit and relax. Thank you for the positive comments you made about my staff and say hello to your mom from me.
Jean Powell

Travellers are raving about these Shanklin hotels

Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My wife and I recently had a weekend break with go Coach Holidays. Although the hotel could have done with a little TLC, we could not fault the service, civiliity and helpfulness of the staff; nothing was too much trouble. The food although a little overcooked(eggs at breakfast) on the whole was good and the waiting staff efficient, the courses flowed promptly and were excellent. The whole experience was 1st class and would not hesitate in recommending. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff L
Jeannie222, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Thank you for the lovley review and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We wil be refurbishing the bar area and some of the rooms in Jan so hopefully you will come see us again next year to see the improvements.
Thank you and I will pass on your comments to the staff (I will make sure your eggs are soft next time)
Jean powell
sheffield
Reviewed 10 October 2011

we booked into the medehamstede on sunday 2nd october there was 17 in our group from the start jean and her staff made us extremeley welcome Rooms were comfortable and the food and entertainment was execellent especially the barman charlie who we all fell in love with .Nothing was too much trouble and the staff bent over backwards to help when ever needed.An extremelley wonderful experience would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank manorlass
Thank you for the great review and I am pleased you all had a good time (You cant help falling in love with Charlie!!) Hopefully you will come see us again next year.
Take Care
Jean powell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
#10 of 52 in Shanklin
Wight Bay Hotel
Wight Bay Hotel
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Medehamstede Hotel? Share your experiences!