There were so many many inadequate and bad things about this hotel I did not know quite where to start, so I have made a list below:
1. Crudely and very cheaply decorated (Ceiling wallpaper??), cord carpet and woodchip wallpaper, curtains too short for windows, old 1970s towels.
2. Bedroom dirty and grimy, mould and dust thick on many surfaces
3. Tiny shower cubicle actually IN bedroom on the carpet, shower door leaked every time.
4. Wardrobe door out of alignment and hard to open.
5. Bed was very uncomfortable , springs stuck into my body and headboard grimy and loose.
6. Reading light too dark to read by.
7. Walls are paper-thin, I was kept awake by noise from rooms above, beside and even below me- earplugs are essential to get ANY sleep.
8. 1990 era Television set had just 4 channels, and remote control was out of sync with TV, and mostly didn't work.
9. Dinner?- vegetables served up COLD, and an elderly lady on our table found a PIECE OF GLASS in her food.
10. Breakfast- you cannot choose to have BOTH porridge and cooked breakfast, and you can't have BOTH tomatoes and beans, and plus the menu has JUST egg based dishes, one lady in our party had an egg allergy, and couldn't believe they don't even serve kippers.
11. Exterior and interior of hotel is very tatty and needs total overhaul. We used to joke that the outside looked as though someone had been using it for target practise.
12. Rooms were very small, and most of the fittings and decor looked second-hand.
13. No lift, very bad when elderly pensioners are visiting.
Please take heed tour operators, think twice before sending your customers to the Medehamstede!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome awaits you at the Medehamstede Hotel. Our hotel is situated in attractive gardens. Close by is the cliff lift, and the town and the Old Village are withing easy walking distance.We have 52 bedrooms, all en-suite. There are tea/coffee facilities, colour televisions, and some of our rooms offer superb sea views.We have regular entertainment, bingo and quizzes - why not take advantage of our hospitality? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline, HRS, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Medehamstede Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Medehamstede Hotel Shanklin, Isle Of Wight