“Avoid at all costs!”

Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Kent
“Avoid at all costs!”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

There were so many many inadequate and bad things about this hotel I did not know quite where to start, so I have made a list below:

1. Crudely and very cheaply decorated (Ceiling wallpaper??), cord carpet and woodchip wallpaper, curtains too short for windows, old 1970s towels.
2. Bedroom dirty and grimy, mould and dust thick on many surfaces
3. Tiny shower cubicle actually IN bedroom on the carpet, shower door leaked every time.
4. Wardrobe door out of alignment and hard to open.
5. Bed was very uncomfortable , springs stuck into my body and headboard grimy and loose.
6. Reading light too dark to read by.
7. Walls are paper-thin, I was kept awake by noise from rooms above, beside and even below me- earplugs are essential to get ANY sleep.
8. 1990 era Television set had just 4 channels, and remote control was out of sync with TV, and mostly didn't work.
9. Dinner?- vegetables served up COLD, and an elderly lady on our table found a PIECE OF GLASS in her food.
10. Breakfast- you cannot choose to have BOTH porridge and cooked breakfast, and you can't have BOTH tomatoes and beans, and plus the menu has JUST egg based dishes, one lady in our party had an egg allergy, and couldn't believe they don't even serve kippers.
11. Exterior and interior of hotel is very tatty and needs total overhaul. We used to joke that the outside looked as though someone had been using it for target practise.
12. Rooms were very small, and most of the fittings and decor looked second-hand.
13. No lift, very bad when elderly pensioners are visiting.

Please take heed tour operators, think twice before sending your customers to the Medehamstede!

Room Tip: Stay away from the ballroom and bar
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Valerie M
MedeManagement, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you for your review and I am sorry about the problems with your room. It’s a shame you did not come and see us about them as we would have tried to resolve them for your stay or offer you an alternative room.
I think it is extremely unlikely that someone found a piece of glass in their food as glass is not permitted in the kitchen. It is also strange that none of our staff know anything about this and surely the guest would have said something to one of us so we could have investigated it?
I think there is some confusion with the menu as you can have both porridge and a cooked breakfast as porridge is a choice from the cereals section. Guests can also have both beans and tomatoes if they so choose. We do offer the choice when you order as many do not like both and we have discussed this with the restaurant staff so hope to make it clearer when orders are placed and avoid any confusion in the future.
I'm sorry our breakfast menu does not include kippers but there are alternatives to chose from. I'm sure we could have added extra sausage or bacon as an alternative to an egg if so desired.
The TVs in the rooms are dated and we hope to have them upgraded in the future but we do offer the usual range of freeview channels in our TV lounge and bar.
We are aware that the exterior of the hotel is in need of some work and are glad to say it will be repaired in the new season once the weather has improved.
We have never advertised having a lift and the guests generally make their needs clear when booking so it is not usually a problem. We have several ground floor rooms for those that
may struggle with the stairs.
We do appreciate all feedback and hope to use your comments to make improvements where possible.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
York
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel in September this year with a coach group on a tour of the island.As per most small seaside based hotels be they in Torquay, Scarborough or wherever I expect a hotel with rooms which are clean but usually small and of varying shapes and dimensions. This is what you get here. There is No lift - this is essential for those of a more mature age or with mobility issues as even the 'ground floor rooms have to be accessed via a maze of corridors and steps to get to them.
When the coach arrived bags were portered to the rooms which helped, as did the same on departure if it was required.The rooms are small to say the least, the singles quiet tiny and some twins not much bigger. But what do you need if its clean and comfy then that is all you require. The rooms were clean, and there was room between the beds, and between one of the beds and the wardrobe (which had plenty of hangers). There was a chest of drawers, a bedside table, and a dressing table, so enough clothes storage. Some rooms also had an armchair and a chair at the dressing table. Good thick curtains so you could sleep well without street lights shining in.
A big thing for me was that ther was no wi fi.It is 2013 and I work from my computer. Away from home for 5 days without computer access puts me behind in work , surely wi-fi (free)should be a standard for these hotels?
This hotel is a typical 2 star seaside hotel that has seen better days. The tv was a joke, was a minute 14inch set circa 1990 and with only a few channels not worth viewing. The usual tea/coffee facilities were provided.
The breakfasts were quiet good 6 choices plus toast and typical for this type of hotel with brilliant poached eggs. When finished you ordered your dinner for that night, which on the whole were very tasty and enjoyable -but this isn't a bad thing as you know the weeks menu in advance and so can plan if you want to eat out. Three starters, four mains (one of which is salad - choice of ham, cheese, tuna and I think egg), and four desserts or cheese and biscuits which consisted a slice of cheddar, a slice of red leicester or similar, and 3 assorted biscuits. Not the most exciting selection.The food was fine, plentiful, and hit the spot.
There is a good sized bar area prices what you would expect to p[ay in a seaside hotel.
The entertainment was of a reasonable standard(different every night) with bingo every evening for half an hour, Staff very pleasant, and it appeared you got dedicated staff to serve you in the dining room. The location, near the beach is a real bonus it is only five minutes gentle walk (out of the hotel and down to the right) got you to the promenade, where you have a choice of a lift down to the esplanade, or 2 paths (1 with steps, 1 without). The esplanade has an amusement arcade (penny falls!), the standard seaside tat shops, a cafe, and a wonderful beach.
10 mins out of the hotel and to the left got you into the old village. This has lovely thatched cottages and is very picturesque. Fantastic rock shop selling a mix of traditional as well as modern sweets, beside rock in all sorts of shapes and flavours. Overall a nice place to visit. The hotel itself could do with a revamp and some serious investment but like many oit does not have the revenue to facilitate this so makes dom withb what it has.
Dont let this revue put you off as it is worth stopping at and is in a nice location.

Room Tip: There is no lift- try to get a larger room as the small twins are tiny
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Tourman2
MedeManagement, Manager at Medehamstede Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for your informative and fair review.
We are looking into offering free Wi-Fi in the future and expanding the range but in the mean time it is possible to access the BT Wi-Fi hotspot in the reception area. This is chargeable at BT's own rates or BT Broadband customers can have free access to it.
I'm pleased you found our food very tasty and staff very pleasant. Your positive comments are appreciated and will be passed on to the chef and the team.
luton england
Reviewed 20 October 2013

just returned from a wonderful 5 day coach holiday in this little gem of ah hotel, staff are wonderfull and very helpful, food excellent the steak and ale pie was just lovely, room clean ,warm, and had everything you could require for the duration of your stay. I couldnt fault a thing and am now booking another stay there

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kathymartin09
Thank you for your review and positive comments. I'm really glad you had a wonderful stay here and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We went on our previous coach holiday a few years ago the hotel was awful. We thought nothing could be as bad. On the first night at the Medehamstede as I was a bit concerned I jokingly said to the very pleasant lady behind the bar, ' Your not one of these dreadful hotels that will not serve tomatoes and beans at breakfast' I did not get a reply . I found out the next morning it was. The food at the evening meal was awful. We had to decide at breakfast what we wanted to eat for our evening meal. The choice was basic and not brilliantly cooked. The second night the steak and ale pie, needed a black and decker drill to get in the pastry. We only had meals there on two nights and ate out the others. The room was awful, no hair dryer, phone and the lighting was so bad that you needed a torch to see to read. The shower room /toilet was poor. The shower did not always work and the floor was not particularly clean. The kettle for the tea making facilities was that large that it could never be filled in the sink. After complaining a smaller one was supplied. The towels were like the ones we had when we got married 45 years ago. In other words it was disaster. The upside was we were on a cheaper coach holiday and felt that we did not lose too much by eating out. It should be noted that the singer guitarist was excellent. We were recommended to David Urquhart travel by friends. The choice of hotels must have gone down, or they do not care where they send their customers. Lets hope they read a few reviews and find a better hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank royston1
I am very sorry you felt disappointed following your visit here but reading through your review and you subsequent letter to the tour company asking for money back, I cannot help but feeling that you have exaggerated your disappointment in order to aid that bid.
The maintenance issue with the shower was dealt with immediately but we apologise for the short period of time there was a problem.
If you were struggling to read with the existing lighting then we would have been happy to provide additional lighting if you had told us about it.
Hair dryers, irons & ironing boards are available from reception as is a pay phone.
I am sorry if the food was not to your standard but we generally have a lot of good comments about it and many guests commented how they enjoyed the same steak and ale pie that you ate.
We take the evening meal orders at breakfast time as it enables us to make sure that all our guests get what they order with the least amount of wastage which helps us to keep our prices down.
It is disappointing that you told our staff you are a professional complainer and quite often get money back and free holidays by complaining. It's a shame that some people go to such lengths for freebies as their comments can be quite damaging.

Travellers are raving about these Shanklin hotels

Northumberland
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We were booked in with a coaching company and I couldn't believe how appallingingly bad the hotel room was. Their website certainly does not reflect what you get in the way of comfort, cleanliness or 'bathroom' facilities. I asked for a ground floor room with a shower for disability purposes and was given room 38 in the adjoining building accessed via a linking corridor.
We had to manoeuvre 2 sets of steps, one of which had a very precarious bannister. When I opened the door to the room my heart sank. Chipwood wallpaper, one curtain to one of the windows, no headboards to the beds which were pushed up against damp, cold outer walls and directly under drafty windows without even a windowsill to catch any condensation from the glass panes. The carpet was so old it was shrinking away from the walls and dirty on the edges. The smell of damp mixed with masking cleaning chemicals almost had me gagging. But the best to come was when I opened the door to the bath'room'. Directly infront of the door was the wash basin with the w/c to the right and a shower cabinet to the left. I have a cupboard at home bigger then this. In fact, calling it a 'room' would be a falsification of their advertising. It would be impossible to use the sink without leaving the door open. The pipework to the w/c was covered in dust and cobwebs with gaping holes through its access point in the outside wall. I was back to reception within 3 minutes asking for an upgrade, only be told all the rooms were the same. Then told all rooms were taken but they could ask for someone else to swap - I was both shocked and appalled that they would ask a guest to stay in that room. The hotel is shabby, run down, and doesn't look like its had a deep clean of the carpets for at least 20 years. The decor is so dated and the quilt covers went out of fashion in the 70's. The outside walls were so damp you could see plants growing out of the flaking walls on the first and second floors. The dining experience was like being back at school, and the food looked dry and inedible that we ended up with no evening meal after an eleven hour journey to get there. I ended up paying for another hotel to stay in because this one was so bad. Any coach trips out there, you should be ashamed to send your customers to places unless you check out ALL OF THE ROOMS and be prepared to stay there yourself. Holidays should be enjoyed with pleasant rooms to stay in for the duration

Room Tip: Don't believe the photos you see on the website
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Dajo13
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This is a terrible hotel the rooms are small there is no wi fi. The service at the place is shockingly abysmal. I went in to the hotel bar for a drink and was made to very inadequate and unwelcome most of all by a bar maid, called rachel. She was rude and arrogant you could tell she was looking down her nose at us. Quite obviously thought she was better than all of us. If I was management of this establishment I would pull her up on it. I would never visit again nor would I recommend this hotel either.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank fantasticfred
Unfortunately we are unable to offer Wi-Fi in the rooms at present but there is a BT Openzone hotspot in reception which BT broadband customers can benefit the free use of.
I am very surprised by your comments as Rachel is a very pleasant member of our team and would not have called her rude and arrogant at all. I'm sorry if you felt this way but I'm certain that you've mistakenly got the wrong impression from her and I do not have any concerns at all.
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Having read the reviews, I'll be honest, I was dreading what it would be like but actually it was fine. I suspect this is because I have realistic expectations. All I expected/wanted was a clean room, a bathroom I could swing a cat in, and decent enough food. I got this.

I stayed in this hotel 16-20 September 2013, as part of a coach trip through Newmarket Holidays. The whole holiday, including transport from Yorkshire, ferry crossings, and day trips, cost just over £220, so I knew I wasn't going to be staying in a 5* hotel with Michelin Starred food. Sadly, it seems a number of people on the trip were.

Room:
We stayed in room 31, which is officially Ground Floor. I have to say, I would expect ground Floor to be on the level, which this wasn't. The hotel has a number of sets of stairs (1-6 steps at a time) between reception and my room. This wouldn't be good if you have bad mobility problems. Also, there is no lift, so you'd be no better on another floor.

My travelling companion and I shared a twin room, which was perfectly adequate. It was clean, there was enough room between the beds, and between one of the beds and the wardrobe (which had plenty of hangers). There was a chest of drawers, a bedside table, and a dressing table, so loads of clothes storage. Also, an armchair and a chair at the dressing table. Good thick curtains so you could sleep well without street lights shining in.

Yes, the tv is mounted on the wall, but this was fine as we sat on the beds to watch it. We only really had it on for the news and weather forecast anyway. If you desperately wanted a bigger telly, there is a TV lounge just down from the dining room, with a full size TV that gets freeview channels as well as the basics.

I could feel the springs in my bed, but it wasn't uncomfortable.

Food:
The food was fine. Breakfast had 6 choices plus toast. I had the same everyday - the poached eggs were really tasty.
Evening meals have to be ordered at breakfast, but this isn't a bad thing as you know the weeks menu in advance and so can plan if you want to eat out. Three starters, four mains (one of which is salad - choice of ham, cheese, tuna and I think egg), and four desserts. These were 1 hot, 1 cold, ice cream (2 scoops, choice of flavours which actually meant you got 1 each of strawberry and vanilla unless you asked otherwise) or cheese and biscuits which consisted a slice of cheddar, a slice of red leicester or similar, and 3 assorted biscuits. Not the most exciting selection. The food was fine, plentiful, and hit the spot. They were fine about doing me smaller portions, and were happy to find out if the curry/stir fry/chilli were going to be particularly spicy. Other options this week were home made sausages and mash, roast pork, roast chicken leg, cottage pie, and others.
My companion said the coffee was good.
A dedicated waiter/waitress serves you for your full stay, so you know who to look out for, and there is a wine waiter who will fetch drinks from the bar for you. They all seemed very pleasant.

Other facilities:
There is a good sized bar area (£2 for a J2O, around £2.50 for a glass of wine), with bingo every evening for half an hour and then 'entertainment' (different every night). I'll admit, my heart sinks whenever I see that 'entertainment' is laid on, as it is often cringe worthy. Instead, we went out for a walk every evening after dinner. We couldn't hear the music from our room, but I think if you had a room above the bar you might have done.

Location:
Super. Five minutes gentle walk (out of the hotel and down to the right) got you to the promenade, where you have a choice of a lift down to the esplanade, or 2 paths (1 with steps, 1 without). The esplanade has an amusement arcade (penny falls!), the standard seaside tat shops, a cafe, and a wonderful beach.
10 mins out of the hotel and straight ahead up Palmerston Road got you into Shanklin town itself. You can also get here via the old village. Good selection of restaurants (we recommend Mamma Mia), loads of Churches, good mix of shops.
And of course, being on the Isle of Wight, anywhere you stay you're not far from the other towns and attractions.

Would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: Just be aware about the steps everywhere. Room 31 looks out onto the parked coaches, but was fine.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank helenc_w1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Melbourne - Ardenlea Hotel
#10 of 52 in Shanklin
Wight Bay Hotel
Wight Bay Hotel
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Medehamstede Hotel? Share your experiences!