“must try harder”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #46 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 4 July 2013

we stayed at the mayfair hotel as part of a national holiday in june . the room was very small an cramped , we were in room 23 which was on the 3rd floor an was no lift so it was quite a trek up to the room . the staff were nice an helpfull. the food was basic but nice but you had to choose your evening meal at breakfast an vice versa an there was only 2 choices plus salad option . the hotel boasts large fluffy towels they were not large or fluffy . they also state entertainment most nights there was a singer 1 night an that was it, no bingo or quizes, even the pensioners complained there was nothing to do . im afraid this hotel needs to sort itself out. we loved the island but didnt think much to the hotel .

Room Tip: ask for room 23 lovely views
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alison s

Reviewed 2 June 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days at this Hotel with a National Holiday couch tour in late May 2013 and requested a room with a sea view which we got and was well worth the extra £20.00. The hotel needs some TLC we noticed a few areas with old cobwebs although overall the room was clean and all of the towels and sheets were spotless, the TV actually worked and had freeview which is the first time I have experienced this, most other cheap hotels we have been to have had problems getting the TV to work, and as we are early risers we need a TV in the morning while we wait for breakfast. Breakfast and evening meal were acceptable but nothing to get excited about, just a standard english breakfast and the evening meals were varied each day but basic. This Hotel shows the two star symbol at the entrance and we think this is correct, it just needs refurbishment and a bit more variety to take it up to three stars and a major refit could take it to four stars, but it would need a substantial investment to do this, but hey! the whole 5 day holiday including coach travel from Halifax with National Holiday only cost us £139.00 each and at that price we would only expect Basic, Basic, Basic! if you want 5 star luxury expect to pay a lot more than that. Hot tap not hot, only had hot water on one day, but shower worked fine. Staff not overly friendly but pleasant.

Room Tip: We chose room number 9 and we think it may have been the best room they had.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hotel has the most awesome sea-facing view and very courteous hosts. Loved the view in the day as well as night. This hotel is just jump, skip and hop from the beach. The dinning area and bar have a good enough space.

Room Tip: Sea-facing view is breathtaking
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wizheart
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

I had to book a hotel quickly as my company had not, and I was staying on the island working for two weeks.

I booked The Mayfare through booking.com the price was within the alowence given to me and they had off rd parking for my large van, on arrival I was told breakfast was at 8.30 and not 7.45 as stated and even though I explained that I had to go to work they was not very helpful.

I had no hot water in the mornings and the TV was very small and had limited channels, evening meals stopped at 5pm and as I finished work at 6pm I had to go out and find somewhere else to eat.

The one day I did manage to get breakfast it was just put in front of me I was not asked what I wanted so it was very limited, the walls and floor was very thin I could here the young chaps music above me and everything anyone said in the corridor.

Not a very good experience and I was glad I found another hotel for the week after.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Steve-johno
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The positives:
- Our room had a beautiful sea view
- Staff were efficient and check-in and check-out was very fast
- Great location with an easy, very short walk down to the Esplanade
- Room was spacious

The negatives:
- The walls of the rooms were so thin, it actually sounded like the people next door were in our room!
- The water temperature in the bath was very hit and miss. There was no shower curtain and just a hand held shower head that close to flooded the bathroom if you stood up.
- Breakfast was very average - eggs seemed to be microwaved

I did not pay a budget price as came on a bank holiday weekend, so perhaps was expecting a little more. The overall feel of the hotel was very tired, and I will not return if I go back to Isle of Wight.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jodes999
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The Mayfair Hotel is beautifully placed at a high point on the Isle Of Wight, which had stunning views (just a long, steep hill to reach it!) Check in time wasn't until 3pm and I knew that we would be on the Isle before that so pre-phoned the hotel to ask it was OK to leave our bags there earlier and the lady couldn't have been more helpful. Left our bags there from 12pm and went out to explore. The room was pretty basic but for what we paid it was just right. Good view of the sea. Shower took a couple of minutes to heat but that wasn't a problem. Breakfast was decent and made a good start to the day. Check out time was 10am and again the owners were kind enough to let us leave our bags there for the day. All in all, a lovely weekend and can't sing the staffs praises enough for being so welcoming and helpful.

Room Tip: We paid a little extra and had a room with a view which was lovely. Hardly any noises in the night...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NCR_1992
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I have just returned from a long weekend in Isle of Wight, Lovely place to visit and this hotel is in a very good location being right on the cliffs overlooking the sea. The room I had was very clean and tidy, room always warm. Meals were always well cooked, but not too much choice although everything I had was tasty and well presented. A must is a visit to the Shanklin Chine which is just a very short walk away.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor on the side, nice and quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends