“Not up to expectations?”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #47 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Preston, United Kingdom
“Not up to expectations?”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

we stayed at the Mayfair Hotel through national holidays? Didnt expect the ritz, But! owners unsociable to the point of rudeness torn shower curtains, no window in bathroom, Toilet stink pipe did not lead outside as they now should do. Fan switch on ceiling turned off? where it cant be reached to turn on. dirty wall above bed, because of no head board! piece of wood with several nails sticking out of? left on floor broken from furniture! curtains when closed to short for windows, with gaps at either side, threadbare carpet top of stairs leading to dining room. I have many more issues, the only good point was the food? so not as described has on their Website, and certainly will not be patronising this hotel again, please note!! NOT DISABLED FRIENDLY, no lifts all stairs

Room Tip: would not recommend to anyone
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank moireen g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

All staff work very hard to ensure you have a great time. Full marks for that! Couldn't,t fault it. Caution.if u don't manage stairs,tell the hotel in advance. Shanklin is beautiful but hilly

Food excellent!

Mr and Mrs a clarke

• Stayed August 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My greeting when we arrived at the hotel, which was pre-booked was 'Hello, dogs are extra' , very unfriendly. The room was so basic, with no mirror in room, which I went and asked for, after a bit of rummaging around under the desk, was given a small dusty mirror, with the words,' will that be too small, no apology.
The room was stuffy as it was a very hot day, was right next to a fire escape, which when open, other guests used to have a smoke, which drifted in through our window. a very scruffy room and the TV had no signal, so didn't use it.
The breakfast was very minimal a full English breakfast consisted of 1 bacon, 1 cheap sausage, half a tomato, beans, 1 hash brown and 1 egg. The tea was in a large flask type jug, which was very weak.( teapots all the way with me).
All in all the best part of the hotel, was the location right next to the beach.
Don't bother

Room Tip: have none.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank carol o

Travellers are raving about these Shanklin hotels

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

we stayed at the mayfair hotel as part of a national holiday in june . the room was very small an cramped , we were in room 23 which was on the 3rd floor an was no lift so it was quite a trek up to the room . the staff were nice an helpfull. the food was basic but nice but you had to choose your evening meal at breakfast an vice versa an there was only 2 choices plus salad option . the hotel boasts large fluffy towels they were not large or fluffy . they also state entertainment most nights there was a singer 1 night an that was it, no bingo or quizes, even the pensioners complained there was nothing to do . im afraid this hotel needs to sort itself out. we loved the island but didnt think much to the hotel .

Room Tip: ask for room 23 lovely views
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alison s
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days at this Hotel with a National Holiday couch tour in late May 2013 and requested a room with a sea view which we got and was well worth the extra £20.00. The hotel needs some TLC we noticed a few areas with old cobwebs although overall the room was clean and all of the towels and sheets were spotless, the TV actually worked and had freeview which is the first time I have experienced this, most other cheap hotels we have been to have had problems getting the TV to work, and as we are early risers we need a TV in the morning while we wait for breakfast. Breakfast and evening meal were acceptable but nothing to get excited about, just a standard english breakfast and the evening meals were varied each day but basic. This Hotel shows the two star symbol at the entrance and we think this is correct, it just needs refurbishment and a bit more variety to take it up to three stars and a major refit could take it to four stars, but it would need a substantial investment to do this, but hey! the whole 5 day holiday including coach travel from Halifax with National Holiday only cost us £139.00 each and at that price we would only expect Basic, Basic, Basic! if you want 5 star luxury expect to pay a lot more than that. Hot tap not hot, only had hot water on one day, but shower worked fine. Staff not overly friendly but pleasant.

Room Tip: We chose room number 9 and we think it may have been the best room they had.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hotel has the most awesome sea-facing view and very courteous hosts. Loved the view in the day as well as night. This hotel is just jump, skip and hop from the beach. The dinning area and bar have a good enough space.

Room Tip: Sea-facing view is breathtaking
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wizheart
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

I had to book a hotel quickly as my company had not, and I was staying on the island working for two weeks.

I booked The Mayfare through booking.com the price was within the alowence given to me and they had off rd parking for my large van, on arrival I was told breakfast was at 8.30 and not 7.45 as stated and even though I explained that I had to go to work they was not very helpful.

I had no hot water in the mornings and the TV was very small and had limited channels, evening meals stopped at 5pm and as I finished work at 6pm I had to go out and find somewhere else to eat.

The one day I did manage to get breakfast it was just put in front of me I was not asked what I wanted so it was very limited, the walls and floor was very thin I could here the young chaps music above me and everything anyone said in the corridor.

Not a very good experience and I was glad I found another hotel for the week after.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Steve-johno
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Roseglen Hotel
#15 of 29 in Sandown
Eastmount Hall Hotel
Eastmount Hall Hotel
#12 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!